Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

Harris Interactive conducts a poll each year and they are a very well respected polling agency, often noted for their accuracy in United States presidential elections and other such polls that they conduct. They have been conducting their polls on cities and states since 1997, where they have asked respondents either on the phone or through Internet means to answer which cities and states they have the most desire to live in other than their city or their state that they currently reside in.

Methodology:
Quote:
This Harris Poll was conducted online, in English, within the United States between November 11 and 16, 2015 among 2,232 adults (aged 18 and over). Figures for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, region and household income were weighted where necessary to bring them into line with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents’ propensity to be online.

All sample surveys and polls, whether or not they use probability sampling, are subject to multiple sources of error which are most often not possible to quantify or estimate, including sampling error, coverage error, error associated with nonresponse, error associated with question wording and response options, and post-survey weighting and adjustments. Therefore, The Harris Poll avoids the words “margin of error” as they are misleading. All that can be calculated are different possible sampling errors with different probabilities for pure, unweighted, random samples with 100% response rates. These are only theoretical because no published polls come close to this ideal.

Respondents for this survey were selected from among those who have agreed to participate in Harris Poll surveys. The data have been weighted to reflect the composition of the adult population. Because the sample is based on those who agreed to participate in our panel, no estimates of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.

Health & Life - The Beach Beckons: Florida, California, Hawaii Top States Where Americans Want to Live
The cities respondents most want to live in for 2015:

The states respondents most want to live in for 2015:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 12:25 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
Florida is still popular.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:38 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Chicago, Boston, and Nashville are three cities that made it in the Top 15 last time but have since dropped out, Dallas frequently makes the Top 15 as well but has been absent the last 2 surveys.

The general trends on Harris Interactive support real life growth trends. The Sunbelt since bottoming out during the Great Recession has made a comeback and is once again very popular among Americans all over the country. Which is not surprising, the census bureau notes that almost every single Sunbelt metropolitan area has accelerated in population growth each year since 2012.

This is best exemplified by the emergence of Orlando, Phoenix, Atlanta, and Las Vegas - all of which have either climbed this year relative to the prior year or have stayed in their spot. This has come at the expense of Chicago and Boston, the two cities have been perennial placeholders on this list since 1997 but are now out. Another factor that depicts the re-emergence of the Sunbelt are the "hipster" cities such as Portland, Seattle, and Austin all falling further down the list compared to prior years.

Maui is a brand new addition to the list, albeit it isn't a city but rather an island. My guess is that it will likely carry forward and remain on future lists, it is in Hawaii after all.

Also, personally speaking, I don't much care for states at all but I went ahead and threw in states for those that do care for states and this sort of thing. Have at it state lovers!

Old 08-02-2016, 12:42 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
I'm surprised Miami is ranked so high, the basis for me being surprised is by meeting many new people who come here saying "im so excited" and then a year later they move back to their state or another city in Florida, because they hated Miami. This also ties in with Orlando being 9th because if those people don't go back to their former states/country, they all flock to Orlando.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I'm surprised Miami is ranked so high, the basis for me being surprised is by meeting many new people who come here saying "im so excited" and then a year later they move back to their state or another city in Florida, because they hated Miami. This also ties in with Orlando being 9th because if those people don't go back to their former states/country, they all flock to Orlando.
I am surprised about Miami, but not Orlando.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I am surprised about Miami, but not Orlando.

Whats going on in Orlando exactly? I haven't gone in about 5 years but I've heard about how it's changed drastically. The only thing i remember about Orlando was the sprawl and besides downtown the other areas were "meh".

Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Whats going on in Orlando exactly? I haven't gone in about 5 years but I've heard about how it's changed drastically. The only thing i remember about Orlando was the sprawl and besides downtown the other areas were "meh".
I have never been to Orlando other than the theme parks but living in Atlanta and having an Airbnb I hear mostly positive things from people who live there or have spent more time there.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:10 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
That's exactly Orlando.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
That's exactly Orlando.

That's pretty much every city in Florida honestly, 1 cool area and the rest is meh or overrated really. But for Orlando all i know is that besides the parks, cheaper living and Full Sail university, i can't think of another reason why it's a city that all of a sudden everyone wants to go to. My friends in Miami (the few who haven't moved) are all considering Orlando, NYC or Canada.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:05 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Life is pretty great here. Of course it's far from perfect but I'm sure as hell ain't complaining. There are plenty of great cities large and small that I love to visit that may offer something this city lacks but none that I would rather live in.

Fortunately it is so damn expensive and pretty well built-out that the risk of invading hordes threatening our paradise is minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City