Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,153 times

Advertisements

Hello all, first time on this site and could use some advice!

I'm seriously considering a relocation (currently in OKC) to either Nashville or Salt Lake City. I am a 26yo female, single, with a smallish dog. I enjoy being outdoors and arts centered activities.. i.e. Live music, gallery openings, festivals, local restaurants, farmers markets.. Etc. I'm in the museum circuit for work and am looking to find a city that has a fair amount of museums/ renewed focus in the arts.

I have heard wonderful things about both cities for 20something professionals. So now I suppose I'm looking for personal experience and input to help sway the decision. I'd love to visit both, but time and money don't allow that right now. So, I will give a few importants for me and look forward to hearing from you all!

Important..

Outdoor activities
Young adult scene
Local bars, shops, restaurants
Pet friendly
Low cost of living/unemployment
Beautiful scenery

Also, any specifics on areas to look at/stay away from would be greatly appreciated! I'm a single, young woman and want to be as safe as possible!

Thanks for any help/input guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 11:17 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Outdoor activities: SLC for sure
Young adult scene: Nashville for sure
Local bars, shops, restaurants: Nashville overall, but SLC is very close
Pet friendly: Both seem pet friendly but I can't be sure
Low cost of living/unemployment: I believe Nashville is Cheaper
Beautiful scenery: both are beautiful, but SLC has probably the best mountain views out of any major U.S. City

Old 05-20-2015, 12:41 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Outdoor Activities: Salt Lake City
Young Adult Scene: IDK, guessing Nashville
Vice versa for shops/bars/restaurants
Low cost of living: I'd actually guess Salt Lake is cheaper, but again, IDK, it's tough to say.
Beautiful Scenery: Salt Lake City

Old 05-20-2015, 01:07 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times
Nashville. I've never met anyone who lived in SLC for a long time that raved over it. Met a lot of people that love Nashville. I like the green more and ample rivers and lakes. I also like more humidity and moisture in the air. SLC is very dry and brown.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:59 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
Leslieallison, if you have the time and money to do so, take the time and visit both cities. Relocation is serious stuff so do yourself a favor and spend at least a week in each city.

Everyone has opinions, but it's just that, their opinion. What others consider to be "beautiful" or "exciting" may not be the same as your definition.

I've been to Nashville and lived in Salt Lake. Both have their respective positives and negatives. Go and find out for yourself.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:50 AM

603 posts, read 931,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Nashville. I've never met anyone who lived in SLC for a long time that raved over it. Met a lot of people that love Nashville. I like the green more and ample rivers and lakes. I also like more humidity and moisture in the air. SLC is very dry and brown.
Really? I've met many. But then, I lived in SLC for a few years lived among them.

To the OP, both areas are beautiful and offer outdoor activities but they are quite different. Nashville has green, rolling hills and rivers and lakes around. For swimming and fishing, it is the better area.

Salt Lake is surround by towering mountains that are snow capped most of the year. SLC is definitely dry but the valley areas where people live have plenty of trees and grass. The city is not stark desert, although those areas are nearby. If you want to ski or other mountain activities, this is the place (to quote Brigham Young).

Young adult scene. Are you Mormon? If so, the church offers endless activities in SLC. If not, opportunities still exist but you would probably be better off in Nashville.

Bar scene? Better off in Nashville but SL is not as behind as it once was.

I don't think there is a big difference in the shops, restaurants, dog friendliness, and cost of living.

Unemployment rates are 3.5% for Salt Lake City and 4.6% for Nashville. Both have very low unemployment rates. Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 05-23-2015, 02:14 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
I will agree that SLC is not as square (or backwards), or whatever term you want to use, as it used to be. If you like a bar scene, it does exist in SLC, but there are some buts. There are still some restrictions, but nothing too bad. The scenery is incredible in Utah, and if you are into snow sports, then that would be the deal breaker. Mountain Time and Mountain Living.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:54 AM

150 posts, read 215,296 times
Nashville is actually becoming a real cool city for young people. Salt Lake City... eh... not so much.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:08 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
Nashville is actually becoming a real cool city for young people. Salt Lake City... eh... not so much.
I really have to wonder what you're basing this statement on. Have you had personal experience living in both cities?

Old 05-23-2015, 12:17 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Lots to do in both. SLC has better outdoor activities and better weather, but you can't really go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City