Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favourite City
Montreal 24 38.10%
Miami 28 44.44%
Toronto 11 17.46%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:36 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times

Advertisements

I've lived in these three cities, all are different compared to each other. The question is, out of these three cities, which do you like or love the most? Not only with categories, but a summary as to why you like/love the city.

Categories:

1. QOL
2. COL
3. Nightlife: 1) Bars 2) Music Venues 3) Clubs
4. Events/Activities
5. Culture (city culture/diversity)
6. Transport
7. Food
8. Lifestyle
9. Arts (murals, museums, galleries, etc..)
10. Safety
11. Weather
12. Downtown/neighbourhood diversity
13. Natural scenery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 10:51 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Montreal: best college, nightlife, culture and arts

It has the coolest vibe. French culture really helps this city

Old 04-07-2018, 11:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
1. QOL Montreal/Toronto tie
2. COL Miami
3. Nightlife: 1) Bars 2) Music Venues 3) Clubs Miami
4. Events/Activities Hmm. I'd guess Toronto. But Miamis range from Superbowl/Sporty events to high cultural events like art Basel might give Miami the edge. So, Miami.
5. Culture (city culture/diversity) Diversity would probably be a tie between Toronto and Montreal.
6. Transport I'd guess Toronto than Montreal than Miami last.
7. Food. I'd guess Toronto and than Montreal for their diversity.
8. Lifestyle Ehh.
9. Arts (murals, museums, galleries, etc..) I'd guess Toronto, being that it's the largest city in its country. After that Miami and Montreal can Duke it out, although I'm sure Montreal might have the edge over Miami overall. Miami was late to the game in terms of high cultural offerings. But Miami's arts scene is on fire and shows no signs of slowing down.
10. Safety-Toronto and Montreal tie.
11. Weather-Miami
12. Downtown/neighbourhood diversity-Toronto

13. Natural scenery-Miami.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
1. QOL Montreal/Toronto tie
2. COL Miami
3. Nightlife: 1) Bars 2) Music Venues 3) Clubs Miami
4. Events/Activities Hmm. I'd guess Toronto. But Miamis range from Superbowl/Sporty events to high cultural events like art Basel might give Miami the edge. So, Miami.
5. Culture (city culture/diversity) Diversity would probably be a tie between Toronto and Montreal.
6. Transport I'd guess Toronto than Montreal than Miami last.
7. Food. I'd guess Toronto and than Montreal for their diversity.
8. Lifestyle Ehh.
9. Arts (murals, museums, galleries, etc..) I'd guess Toronto, being that it's the largest city in its country. After that Miami and Montreal can Duke it out, although I'm sure Montreal might have the edge over Miami overall. Miami was late to the game in terms of high cultural offerings. But Miami's arts scene is on fire and shows no signs of slowing down.
10. Safety-Toronto and Montreal tie.
11. Weather-Miami
12. Downtown/neighbourhood diversity-Toronto

13. Natural scenery-Miami.
Yeah, the art one is the most interesting because all cities have their strengths. So Montreal has always been a global leader in graffiti/murals since the scene here started in the 70s. MTL/T.O have always been leaders with museums/ art galleries and living in Miami I saw the rise of Art Basel/Wynwood and all that.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:49 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
tough one

I love Miami and Montreal and Toronto isn't so bad either

Right now its still chilly so will say Miami!

Old 04-08-2018, 09:53 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,120 times
At my age, I choose Montreal. If I was 22, I’d pick Miami. I really like Toronto but Montreal and Miami both have a more unique vibe that I think makes them more interesting. Toronto is a bit generic. I spend the most time there though as my husband has family there.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:43 PM

754 posts, read 569,241 times
1. QOL- Toronto
2. COL- Montreal
3. Nightlife: 1) Bars 2) Music Venues 3) Clubs- Miami>Montreal>Toronto
4. Events/Activities- Tough one. Miami/Toronto for sports, Montreal for winter activities, Miami for beach. I guess Miami by a slight margin.
5. Culture (city culture/diversity)- City Culture to Montreal or Miami, Toronto for diversity
6. Transport- Toronto
7. Food- Not sure. Maybe Toronto overall, but Miami & Montreal for Uniqueness
8. Lifestyle- Subjective
9. Arts (murals, museums, galleries, etc..)- Hmmm. Tough, maybe Toronto overall because of its international presence, although you could make arguments for Miami & Montreal
10. Safety- Toronto
11. Weather- Miami. Nice outside of summer, but the summer weather’s great for the beach
12. Downtown/neighbourhood diversity- Toronto
13. Natural scenery- Miami

I’ve visited Toronto & liked it, & have yet to visit Miami & Montreal. I’ll go with Toronto.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:13 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
This is tough. All are pretty strong cities for me...around B+ or A- on a global scale. Currently live in Miami but would absolutely consider living in the other two.

If I were single in my 20s, honestly all 3 would be top choices. But I guess in such a scenario I would lean towards Montreal, so that will be my pick. I have basic/elementary French understanding and could probably get to an ok conversational level pretty easily, the biggest issue is my wife who HATES cold weather. Also, she is familiar with Toronto and I'm sure therefore would favor it if we were to consider eastern Canada. So I dont know...it's a draw given my life now, and a slight lean towards Montreal if I were single and younger.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:58 PM

828 posts, read 647,325 times
QOL: Toronto
COL: Montreal
Nightlife: Miami slightly over Montreal; slightly over Toronto
Events: Toronto or Miami
Culture: Toronto
Transport: Montreal
Food: Hard to say (tied)
Lifestyle: Not sure; depends what you're looking for
Arts: Toronto or Miami
Safety: Montreal
Weather: Miami
Downtown/neighborhood diversity: Toronto or Montreal
Natural Beauty: Miami>Montreal>Toronto

Old 04-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Very interesting responses so far! I'm also surprised with the poll results, I was expecting more Toronto/less Miami. With that said, here are my choices from living in all three cities.

1. QOL: MTL/TO/MIA
2. COL: MTL/MIA/TO
3. Nightlife: 1) Bars 2) Music Venues 3) Clubs: Montreal takes the cake when it comes to bars. Music venues is a tie between MTL/TO, clubs: Miami, MTL/TO
4. Events/Activities: MTL/TO tie, Montreal is the city of festivals and there's always something, Toronto for the number of cultural fests, Miami is in third, but they're improving. When it comes to seasonal activities/events it'll be the same order too.
5. Culture (city culture/diversity): (cultural diversity) TO/MTL/MIA (city culture) MTL/TO/MIA
6. Transport: MTL/TO/MIA
7. Food: This one was a hard pick, so a tie between MTL/TO.
8. Lifestyle: MTL
9. Arts (murals, museums, galleries, etc..): Again another hard one, when it comes to street art it's MTL/MIA/TO. Museums and galleries it's TO/MTL tie and MIA behind.
10. Safety: MTL
11. Weather: I like four seasons so TO(milder winters)/MTL, but if you like warmer weather then obviously MIA is for you.
12. Downtown/neighbourhood diversity: MTL
13. Natural scenery: All three cities have something unique about them, MIA has the Everglades and the beaches, MTL has mountains/islands and TO is along Lake Ontario and has the Scarborough Bluffs, so a three-way tie for me.

It was a tough list though honestly since all three are good cities. TO/MTL are established global cities so obviously they'll have a higher ranking, nonetheless, It's pretty cool that I've lived in all three major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City