Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:06 PM

136 posts, read 366,264 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in the Phoenix area with my husband and young son. We are considering moving out family to Albaquerque area. We like AZ, but the summers are just unbearably hot! I think we would enjoy the four seasons and more mild summers. Are summers in Albaquerque a lot cost than Phoenix? How does it compare? Also, I know NM is a desert just like AZ, but does it get anymore rain than AZ or is it pretty similar.
Are there any peoe on here who have moved from Phoenix to Albuquerque? How do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
You might look through these threads which have related comparisons. (Your thread was also moved to this forum):
Albuquerque or Phoenix
Which is more urban, with more of a "big city" feel: Albuquerque or Phoenix?
Seattle, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Albuquerque, Austin or Denver - best city for 32 y/o single woman that can work remotely
Tucson vs Albuquerque vs El Paso
Best retirement--Phoenix, Albuquerque, or Austin?
We have currently lived in the Albuquerque (ABQ) area (Rio Rancho) for about 15 years. Summers are milder here in ABQ. We have been to Phoenix and other parts of Arizona over the years on business and vacation. We always enjoyed Arizona, but my wife was offered a job transfer with prommotion from the Wash D.C. area to ABQ, so she grabbed it.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-08-2015 at 10:40 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 10:51 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
I am currently living in the Phoenix area with my husband and young son. We are considering moving out family to Albaquerque area. We like AZ, but the summers are just unbearably hot! I think we would enjoy the four seasons and more mild summers. Are summers in Albaquerque a lot cost than Phoenix? How does it compare? Also, I know NM is a desert just like AZ, but does it get anymore rain than AZ or is it pretty similar.
Are there any peoe on here who have moved from Phoenix to Albuquerque? How do you like it?
Albuquerque is high desert, with variable elevation between 4900 feet at the Rio to 6700 feet up in the Sandia foothills, so it's usually always about 15-20 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Summer and shorts weather is about 5-6 months out of the year. June, July, and August have normal highs in the 90's. Winters have a lot balmy sunny days and cold nights below freezing. I really love Christmas in New Mexico, it's so beautiful. Every now and then a snowstorm or monsoon season rains come around, but for the most part it's a very enjoyable four season climate with a lot of beautiful days and incredible blue skies.

The biggest adjustment you'll likely encounter here is the size of the metro, just under a million, where the Valley has over 4 million people. This breaks down to services (air service/retail/dining/public transportation etc...) offered, and a smaller job market. I lucked out and found a really good opportunity in my career here. I'd rather live in Phoenix as there's more to do around there, and have thought heavily about moving to the Valley but I'm going to stick around here for a good while longer. I love my job here so I intend to make the best of it.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-08-2015 at 11:00 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 08:45 AM

696 posts, read 1,169,415 times
Albuquerque is more similar to Tucson or El Paso then it is Phoenix let's put it that way.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:49 AM

136 posts, read 366,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Albuquerque is high desert, with variable elevation between 4900 feet at the Rio to 6700 feet up in the Sandia foothills, so it's usually always about 15-20 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Summer and shorts weather is about 5-6 months out of the year. June, July, and August have normal highs in the 90's. Winters have a lot balmy sunny days and cold nights below freezing. I really love Christmas in New Mexico, it's so beautiful. Every now and then a snowstorm or monsoon season rains come around, but for the most part it's a very enjoyable four season climate with a lot of beautiful days and incredible blue skies.

The biggest adjustment you'll likely encounter here is the size of the metro, just under a million, where the Valley has over 4 million people. This breaks down to services (air service/retail/dining/public transportation etc...) offered, and a smaller job market. I lucked out and found a really good opportunity in my career here. I'd rather live in Phoenix as there's more to do around there, and have thought heavily about moving to the Valley but I'm going to stick around here for a good while longer. I love my job here so I intend to make the best of it.
Thanks for the info! As far as jobs go, I'm on disability and my husband is a delivery driver and his company's main hub is in Albaquerque. So he would be able to just transfer there. They also have one in Denver, San Jose, and Portland. We thought about all of them and it's between Denver and Albaquerque. We are going to go on a road trip and check them both out in a couple months.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:48 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Denver's housing is very expensive right now, both rentals and places to buy. Be sure to factor that in.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:05 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
We thought about all of them and it's between Denver and Albaquerque. We are going to go on a road trip and check them both out in a couple months.
We've lived in the Albuquerque area 15 years and have had business and temporary work in Denver over the years. Briefly Denver is too cold for us. We have friends from (ABQ) who moved to the Denver area for better jobs, a Police Officer, Firefighter, Machinist and a Bookeeper... If you have a job lined up in ABQ, things are of course nicer. My wife transfered to ABQ with her job. Going to both areas would really help you deceide.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:30 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Few places in America other than ABQ where you can live in a Mediterranean/Spanish-style home and still enjoy distinctively all four seasons without the ultra extreme high and low temps.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:05 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Yes, KEL 9798 I moved from Phoenix to Albuquerque. And I don't regret it. Although there is more to do in Phoenix, I think the climate in ABQ is unbeatable. Never often too hot or too cold. Summers in AZ are HOT and unbearable to me and all you want to do is stay indoors in A/C.
Yes, we do get more rain than Phoenix. Average rainfall in Phoenix is only around 7" and in ABQ anywhere from 9 to 13" depending on elevation. Still it is the desert and it has a very dry climate. You can stay pretty active out doors here for most of the year.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,963 times
I plan to retire to ABQ within 2 years. What are the safest areas for an upper 60+ single female? I'd actually prefer something in the suburbs. Would be on a $3,000 mo income and would rather own than rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City