Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Most fun: New York City. Most boring: Dallas, Texas.
Truth be told, if one is looking for "touristy" or "Texas" stuff to do, the Fort Worth side of DFW is actually better to hang out in and explore than the Dallas side. I think if more tourists were more open to visiting and spending time in Fort Worth, their impression of DFW would be a little different. I don't know why Fort Worth doesn't advertise itself more to tourists as the "Fun, more authentically Texan" side of the metro, since Dallas is more geared towards business and is full of transplants from Cali and up North.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:59 AM

245 posts, read 323,792 times
Good thread.

Most Fun: NYC

Most boring: OKC

Old 06-10-2015, 09:00 AM

Most fun:
NYC
Washington, DC
Philly
Chicago
St. Louis
New Orleans
San Antonio
Fort Worth
Dallas (could see how it would be boring to others, though, since it has very few major tourist attractions)
Houston

Most boring:
Memphis
Nashville
Baltimore
Atlanta

Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
For me, most American cities are boring.

The best are, NYC, SF, Chicago, Boston, Seattle

Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Most fun:
NYC
DC
LA
Miami
Vegas
Chicago
Philly

Most Boring:
Atlanta
Dallas/FW
Houston
Seattle

Old 06-10-2015, 09:11 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Most fun:
NYC
Washington, DC
Philly
Chicago
St. Louis
New Orleans
San Antonio
Fort Worth
Dallas (could see how it would be boring to others, though, since it has very few major tourist attractions)
Houston

Most boring:
Memphis
Nashville
Baltimore
Atlanta
Very interesting to have tourist-friendly cities on the boring list and some not as tourist-friendly on the fun list. I suppose much of it might have to do with the purpose of your visits.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Very interesting to have tourist-friendly cities on the boring list and some not as tourist-friendly on the fun list. I suppose much of it might have to do with the purpose of your visits.
I depends on what you like to do as a tourist as well as what appeals to you about the cities while you are there. Obviously it will vary from person to person.

For instance, I'm not an Elvis fan and I don't find Blues music (especially by a bunch of dead singers from 50+ years ago), Mississippi Delta culture, or BBQ necessarily appealing, so there's not much for me to like about Memphis.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 06-10-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Also, what's so tourist friendly about Baltimore and Atlanta? Most people end up passing through Baltimore because it's so close to DC and most people end up passing through Atlanta because it has a major airport full of business and connecting flights. I've never really heard of either one as major tourist destinations or places where people spend their vacations, though.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I depends on what you like to do as a tourist as well as what appeals to you about the cities while you are there. Obviously it will vary from person to person.

For instance, I'm not an Elvis fan and I don't find Blues music (especially by a bunch of dead singers from 50+ years ago), Mississippi Delta culture, or BBQ necessarily appealing, so there's not much for me to like about Memphis.
It's true that Memphis, and Nashville to an extent, have more niched tourist experiences. Atlanta I can understand if you spent most of your time downtown; most folks don't get to experience the real Atlanta which can be found in Midtown and the surrounding neighborhoods but for many of those who do, they are impressed with what they experience. The Inner Harbor in Baltimore is quite touristy but I'm not sure what there's to do for tourists beyond that and certain areas of downtown.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Also, what's so tourist friendly about Baltimore and Atlanta? Most people end up passing through Baltimore because it's so close to DC and most people end up passing through Atlanta because it has a major airport full of business and connecting flights. I've never really heard of either one as major tourist destinations or places where people spend their vacations, though.
I could ask the same about Houston and Dallas which are on your "most fun" lists though, right?

Atlanta is a major extended weekend-type of leisure city; people will visit for a major event (sports, a festival, a convention) and then visit all the tourist attractions and sites, and people within reasonable driving distance will come during holiday weekends and such for nightlife, shopping, etc. There's a reason why Atlanta posts the high visitor and hotel room numbers that it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City