Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 02:52 PM

508 posts, read 503,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think when people say cities like DC and Boston are "walkable," they mean that very large contiguous portions of the city are walkable, not dispersed neighborhoods.

I remember I asked munchitup last year if he could direct me to anywhere in Los Angeles where, over an area of only 1 sq. mile, I could walk in any given direction without seeing any type of noticeable change in the built environment (meaning it remains pedestrian-scaled like Hollywood Blvd). He couldn't. Is that still the case?
I mean I think the area from DTLA to about Crenshaw are all basically walkable areas. This seems to be an issue with borders with LA's neigborhoods being a lot larger. i don't know how big Santa Monica is but walking around there is pretty delightful. I also don't thin LA is as homogeneous its structure like east coast cities. I though we were comparing LA to Miami not sure where trying to compare it an east coast city came from I already said DC is more walkable than LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 02:54 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
I mean I think the area from DTLA to about Crenshaw are all basically walkable areas. This seems to be an issue with borders with LA's neigborhoods being a lot larger. i don't know how big Santa Monica is but walking around there is pretty delightful. I also don't thin LA is as homogeneous its structure like east coast cities.
Borders have nothing to do with it. You either have a one square mile area that is 95% pedestrian-scaled or you don't.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Yes, those cities also have much more robust transit systems than Los Angeles so that shouldn't be too surprising. LA's first metro rail line was finished in 1990 so they are playing catch up to every other city you named on that list. Remember the redline from DTLA to Hollwood only opened up in 2000.
LA has a fairly robust transit system already, it just happens to be mostly bus riders.

Rail isn't that relevant in terms of LA transit share, and passenger loads in LA are unchanged from the pre-rail era (suggesting that most rail riders are simply former bus riders).

The issue in LA isn't transit, it's how the city was built (which isn't conductive to transit oriented lifestyle).

Old 07-25-2016, 03:02 PM

41 posts, read 50,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Oh kid please. I don't have to Google streetview everything and then act like I'm an LA expert.. I have lived and experienced both. Simple as that. People like you and MDAllstar I just can't take seriously about LA because you have absolutely no experience here. Yes LA has non urban parts, it's 464 square miles. DC has just barely over 60 and it just has too many non urban sections imo.
Well for a guy that claims to have "lived" in both places, you seem to have rather weird and nonsensical views about both. Why don't you name some of these urban areas in 464 sq miles of LA that DC should be so envious of.

In fact, you and the other tool have been calming for a while that you have lived in both the DC and LA area. Ok, name some of these suburban areas in DC that LA has any right to point fingers about, areas that are so non urban and uncommon by LA's standards. I guess you will then go into that same old argument about size. In that case, answer me this honestly, if took the whole of DC/Baltimore area and compared it to Greater LA in order to have a similar sized comparison, where would you actually find more urban and "walkable" areas? You guys need to start giving some examples and specify your views more clearly instead of ranting on foolishly. Because despite your strange beef with Google streetview, I'm pretty sure it will be giving people more specifics between these two than what you two have been.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Thats what you think they have in common?
Ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Maybe because one system was much larger?
how big was miami in 1927?
Quote:
Borders have nothing to do with it. You either have a one square mile area that is 95% pedestrian-scaled or you don't.
I just said Santa Monica. Borders do matter especially in LA look at the borders of k-town and compare it to DuPont circle. K-town is a much larger area. People really don't want to admit LA can be walkable. Like, I live in the area I would know.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
LA has a fairly robust transit system already, it just happens to be mostly bus riders.

Rail isn't that relevant in terms of LA transit share, and passenger loads in LA are unchanged from the pre-rail era (suggesting that most rail riders are simply former bus riders).

The issue in LA isn't transit, it's how the city was built (which isn't conductive to transit oriented lifestyle).
I agree but transit doesn't go everywhere yet, and the stigma of using a bus for some people is real even if they could easily take a bus. A person is not going to take a bus from DTLA to century city if the already have a car but if there was a train there than leaving the car at home becomes more viable. That matters it doesn't matter if there is already a bus going there.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalvoLLorne View Post
Well for a guy that claims to have "lived" in both places, you seem to have rather weird and nonsensical views about both. Why don't you name some of these urban areas in 464 sq miles of LA that DC should be so envious of.

In fact, you and the other tool have been calming for a while that you have lived in both the DC and LA area. Ok, name some of these suburban areas in DC that LA has any right to point fingers about, areas that are so non urban and uncommon by LA's standards. I guess you will then go into that same old argument about size. In that case, answer me this honestly, if took the whole of DC/Baltimore area and compared it to Greater LA in order to have a similar sized comparison, where would you actually find more urban and "walkable" areas? You guys need to start giving some examples and specify your views more clearly instead of ranting on foolishly. Because despite your strange beef with Google streetview, I'm pretty sure it will be giving people more specifics between these two than what you two have been.
Probably because urban means different things to a lot of people. Especially true in LA where people live so many lifestyles.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:21 PM

41 posts, read 50,257 times
I saw two different polls here, one asking if people felt DC or LA was more urban, the second asking if LA's urbanity is more comparable to that of Miami or one of the traditionally urban cities.

The majority sided with DC one the first one, the overwhelming majority with Miami on the second. Everybody must be LA haters...

Old 07-25-2016, 03:27 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
I just said Santa Monica. Borders do matter especially in LA look at the borders of k-town and compare it to DuPont circle. K-town is a much larger area. People really don't want to admit LA can be walkable. Like, I live in the area I would know.
That is irrelevant. If anything, it should be easier to find that one square mile area in Los Angeles because it's big as hell.

I mean, some posters are very adept at selecting streets in L.A. that *are* pedestrian-oriented. Now the question is can you find a contiguous, one square mile area where nearly all of the streets have that same pedestrian-scale.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:34 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
That is irrelevant. If anything, it should be easier to find that one square mile area in Los Angeles because it's big as hell.

I mean, some posters are very adept at selecting streets in L.A. that *are* pedestrian-oriented. Now the question is can you find a contiguous, one square mile area where nearly all of the streets have that same pedestrian-scale.
Isn't the better question if there's a one square mile area where anywhere in that square mile you can live an easily walkable lifestyle? LA certainly has a lot of square miles of that.

A pretty simple one might be take something like Yelp that provides listings of what's available. Follow Wilshire from Western in Koreatown down to where it starts on Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles. Look at what comes up in the listing for a half mile radius (so a full mile diameter) along that whole route. That gets you a few quick and easy square miles without having to discuss much--all people living within that half mile radius of Western along that line are going to be able to walk to a large variety of all kinds of amenities and also have a heavy rail transit access to boot.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-25-2016 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City