Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:59 PM

15 posts, read 34,117 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

I am new to the board and am considering relocating to Nashville but I want to make sure I do some research. I am also considering Phoenix and Charleston.

I am hoping to get some insight from people who live or have lived in the city, I think it will be more valuable than any stats.

I am from Ohio but I currently live in the WPB area of FL. I moved to FL almost 3 years ago for the weather but after giving FL a chance I don't think it is for me. The worst thing about FL is the people, there are so many mean, rude people here. I think if Ohio was warmer it would be the perfect place to live.

I am 30 and single with no kids so I am looking for a city where I can meet a nice guy with similar interests.

I love to hang out at sports bars rather then clubs, I like dive bars and laid back people. I would love to move to an apartment where I can be within walking distance to some great local bars and live music is important.

One of the things I miss about OH are the parks, I like walking/hiking and FL is flat and not many parks with trails.

I am not to concerned about high-end shopping but I would like a place with a farmers market and a decent mall.

I have been to Nashville 2x before on vacation and had a blast but things are always different in vacation mode.

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 PM

253 posts, read 868,805 times
In Nashville, I'd recommend you check out Hillsboro Village or East Nashville as a place to live. They seem to meet your requirements as far as what you're wanting...walking distance to bars and music. Plus, they're trendy/hip areas in general

I can't really speak about the men issue, since I'm married...however from observing my female friends experiences, there are men out there, however since Nashville is the South, they tend to get married younger. You can call this a gross generalization, but even by mid 20's, a lot of people here are in a serious relationship or married.

People here are laid back and friendly
The malls are nice...Green Hills, Hill Center, Cool Springs.
There's the farmer's market downtown and I'm sure there are others throughout the city/burbs.

There's plenty of parks and places to hike in and around Nashville and if you're willing to drive a couple hours, even more options available.

I can't really speak to how we compare with Phoenix and Charleston on the isues above, having only been to those places on vacation for a short period of time. Yet, I prefer Nashville to Phoenix, I couldn't live with all that brown all the time and the summers are HOT. Plus, it's pretty flat there too...it's especially noticeable when you fly into the airport.
I also think our economy is doing better than Phoenix's, so as far as getting a job compared to there, you might have an easier time, although getting a job anywhere these days is difficult due to the economy.

You can try posting this on the Phoenix and Charleston forums as well and see what sort of replies you get.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Not trying to be snide, but wouldn't you be able to choose between these two cities based solely on the very different character of each one? Phoenix and Nashville are so different, that alone should help you eliminate one... as for staying where you are, that would have to be evaluated in other ways.

I'm probably not the best judge of Nashville. I was raised there... yet, I have traveled to over a dozen countries in the Americas and Europe. Still, I love Nashville. Partial? Probably.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:09 PM

Thank you Shino306 for your recommendations on places to check out, I will definatly check them out when i come to the city. I think it means a lot to have opinios of people that live it :-)

Old 12-11-2009, 08:32 PM

Default hmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Not trying to be snide, but wouldn't you be able to choose between these two cities based solely on the very different character of each one? Phoenix and Nashville are so different, that alone should help you eliminate one... as for staying where you are, that would have to be evaluated in other ways.

Shinestx, I would never have thought you were "trying to be snide" if you simply answered the question but the fact that you started your comment like that makes me feel otherwise.....

I know the cities are different...hence the reason to ask the questions.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
To answer your question specifically, yes, but.....the reason I posted the question is to learn more about the character of the cities. I have been to Nashville but I don't know what it's like to live there. I have a much different opinion of FL now that I have lived and worked here. I like many things about it but it's just not home. I love Ohio but I can't deal with the cold so I am simply trying to find the right place.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Id go with Charleston, by a long shot. Nashville is cold, you wouldnt like it. Its not much different than very Southern Ohio as far as climate goes. Phoenix itself is lame, but there are some nice suburbs (ie Scottsdale, Carefree, Fountain Hills, etc) that make up for it. Charleston is beautiful, and by far the most interesting of the 3.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times
I like west Nashville. I lived there for 5 months and found it to be the place to live in Nashville. East Nashville and South Nashville has alot of bad crime. The Nashville News Networks was always talking about crime in East and South Nashville.

John

Old 12-15-2009, 06:26 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Aside from the heat factor...Phoenix would be the the choice for me....Great location,(Proximity to Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and Mexico. (Can you say...ROAD TRIP!!!!) Cost of living is not outrageous for a major metropolitan city...very affordable. Lots of cultural things to do around the city..and much more diverse than Charleston or Nashville.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:14 AM

434 posts, read 1,040,873 times
It's a no brainer that Charleston would have the worst economy of the 3. But its probably the most laid back. It's a nice city, I prefer Savannah though. Nashville is nice, I go there a couple times a year. Just like any other southern major city like Raleigh, Charlotte, etc I guess. They love their country music a little more out there, though. While not really important, I love that Nashville has both Krystals and White Castle. Yum. Nashville does get cold, it probably bring you back to your days in Ohio. While not that cold but its the coldest major southern city besides Kentucky cities. I don't know much about Phoenix, I actually may move there my self. Warm, sunny, no rain 80-90% of the time, you can't go wrong w/ that. I guess I see how people could get bored w/ that or just plain sick of temps 80-110 degrees most of the year. Like the other poster said, its great to live in a decent city w/ year round warm weather and be in proximity to mts, Vegas, LA, rest of Cali, Mexico, etc.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:37 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
What's up my fellow Zip . Some very different cities you are considering there. The classic charm of Charleston vs. the green landscapes of Nashville vs. the desert landscapes of Phoenix. Given your interests it actually sounds like you should be some place like Cleveland or Chicago, but I guess you're not big on the winters. Anyway, I'm personally a big fan of Charleston because I like the archetural character of the place and it is walkable. Nashville might be nice given your interest in hiking and friendly people, but I think the city itself is just average and is only walkable in a few areas. Not really a big fan of Phoenix because of its suburban character, dry climate, and hot weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City