Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Produced The Best Musicians?
Seattle 23 47.92%
Minneapolis/St Paul 15 31.25%
Boston 10 20.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:08 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Pop-ish musicians from Boston (in addition to Aerosmith):

Dropkick Murphys
The Cars
James Taylor
Joan Baez (moved to Belmont at 17)
New Kids On The Block
Marky Mark
J Geils Band/Peter Wolf
Donna Summer
The Pixies
Boston (d'uh)
New Edition/Bell Biv DeVoe/Bobby Brown
Til Tuesday/Aimee Mann
Dick Dale
Tavares
Marky Mark? New Kids on the Block? Those acts are kind of embarrassing.

But I would add the Modern Lovers to the top of the Boston list.Released in 1973 their self-titled debut remains a tour de force in rock history. They don't get as much public recognition as they deserve. But their proto-punk sound was a key blue print for punk and indie rock....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 11:22 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
As a child, I recall hearing my sister play a song called Soft and Wet (1978). The song was very catchy and interesting, to say the least. It would be many years before I would know what the song was about. Then, I recall seeing the image of this guy named Prince on the covers of popular magazines of the time: Right On, etc. Fast forward to 2015, Prince is still in the media. Prince is arguably my favorite artist of all time! Prince is a Minneapolis cat. The Minneapolis Sound was very influential during the 80s.

Let's not forget Terry Lewis and Jimmy Jam's influence on popular music. Of course, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis are former members of The Time.

Mint Condition, another Minneapolis group, is still making noise.

Minneapolis/ St. Paul gets my vote.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:23 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Marky Mark? New Kids on the Block? Those acts are kind of embarrassing.

But I would add the Modern Lovers to the top of the Boston list.Released in 1973 their self-titled debut remains a tour de force in rock history. They don't get as much public recognition as they deserve. But their proto-punk sound was a key blue print for punk and indie rock....
Oh I agree. I was simply noting the bigger pop acts to come out of Boston. I wasn't digging deep.

BTW there was a bill recently to make Roadrunner the state song of MA. It didn't pass.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:26 PM

103 posts, read 168,595 times
Next is also a Minneapolis group.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:30 PM

422 posts, read 574,556 times
I live in a suburb of Minneapolis. I don't think Minneapolis belongs in this convo. Ask the average person to name all the minnesota artists they can name. Very few will know any besides Bob Dylan or prince. Hardly a music powerhouse.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:32 PM

103 posts, read 168,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
I live in a suburb of Minneapolis. I don't think Minneapolis belongs in this convo. Ask the average person to name all the minnesota artists they can name. Very few will know any besides Bob Dylan or prince. Hardly a music powerhouse.
So how would you rank the 3 cities listed..?

Old 06-21-2015, 11:43 PM

Depends on your musical tastes, it could go either way between Seattle and Boston. Minneapolis is in last place by a landslide. People here in Minneapolis always love to support the local talent, but minnesota is weak in terms of making an impact across the country. Both Seattle and Boston have plenty of acts making music now days. Minnesota doesn't have any A+ national acts right now. Bringing up prince is clinging to the past.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Now you can tell "the average person" what you have learned. Their collective ignorance doesn't negate the musical contributions of Minneapolis. As I wrote earlier, The Minneapolis sound was very influential during the 80s. It was more than a sound. It was a look and a style of dress. Indeed, it was that big.

Minneapolis belongs in any discussion about America popular musicians/ music. Prince alone makes Minneapolis relevant, in this regard.

Unlike you, I'm not from Minneapolis, suburb or otherwise. However, I fondly recall the 80s.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Now you can tell "the average person" what you have learned. Their collective ignorance doesn't negate the musical contributions of Minneapolis. As I wrote earlier, The Minneapolis sound was very influential during the 80s. It was more than a sound. It was a look and a style of dress. Indeed, it was that big.

Minneapolis belongs in any discussion about America popular musicians/ music. Prince alone makes Minneapolis relevant, in this regard.

Unlike you, I'm not from Minneapolis, suburb or otherwise. However, I fondly recall the 80s.
I love the local minnesota scene, but that's all it is.. local. If we're waxing nostalgic about the 80s, that makes Minneapolis look even worse. Living in the past is a sign the present isn't fulfilling. First Avenue was voted the best live music venue in the country recently. That I can stand behind. At some point you have to ask what have you done for me lately. The biggest act coming out of minnesota now is probably motion city soundtrack. Niche rock band who most have never heard of. Minneapolis may have some kind of breakout artist again, but right now it's a musical abyss.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I love the local minnesota scene, but that's all it is.. local. If we're waxing nostalgic about the 80s, that makes Minneapolis look even worse. Living in the past is a sign the present isn't fulfilling. First Avenue was voted the best live music venue in the country recently. That I can stand behind. At some point you have to ask what have you done for me lately. The biggest act coming out of minnesota now is probably motion city soundtrack. Niche rock band who most have never heard of. Minneapolis may have some kind of breakout artist again, but right now it's a musical abyss.
Tony, I hear you. However, without a past, there is no present/ future. Let's face it: without the Blues artist, Hendrix wouldn't have had the foundation that he built on. Without Hendrix, James Brown, et al, Prince wouldn't have had the foundation that he built on.

I'm willing to bet that no one is creating anything new, music-wise. I don't listen to contemporary music by choice. Therefore, I wouldn't know. However, I'm sometimes victim to rude behavior and have to hear that which is known as "music" today. Everything that I've heard is recycled. As much as I like Snoops' new album, Bush. It's nothing that I haven't heard. Pharrell, I like want he is doing. However, he isn't doing anything new. It's difficult for me to believe that anyone is.

We'll agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City