Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Pittsburgh, PA 60 56.07%
Richmond, VA 47 43.93%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:08 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I'm not sure I understand...are you saying that Pittsburgh FEELS like a connected NE corridor city?

It is a NE city, but it doesn't feel connected and I'm not sure why you'd mislead people in this way.
Pittsburgh is a Northeastern city. However Pittsburgh is NOT a NE Corridor City (Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC), that is another layer within the NE for which Pittsburgh is excluded. The NEC cities are all strung together with singular infrastructure and relative closeness which gives the entire NEC this commonality of culture, as such the population of the Corridor is easily able to transverse the various cities and locations with ease.

Hence why people here continuously try to label the Burgh as a Midwestern City, when its not, its mostly the residences themselves of the NEC that typically box the entire Northeastern US as just being within the NEC, again another fallacy, anything not in the NEC is supposed to be the Midwest to these people, meaning Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Syracuse, etc.

Its safe to think that Pittsburgh doesn't belong to any of the "Mega Regions"... Not the NEC, nor the Chicago Mega Region. Pittsburgh doesn't have the relationship with Chicago that the Ohio 3 C's Cities, and to West do. Pittsburgh trades population mostly with the NEC, however it doesn't move as fluidly as the cities within the NEC themselves.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 07-01-2015 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 04:30 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pittsburgh is a Northeastern city. However Pittsburgh is NOT a NE Corridor City (Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC), that is another layer within the NE for which Pittsburgh is excluded. The NEC cities are all strung together with singular infrastructure and relative closeness which gives the entire NEC this commonality of culture, as such the population of the Corridor is easily able to transverse the various cities and locations with ease.

Hence why people here continuously try to label the Burgh as a Midwestern City, when its not, its mostly the residences themselves of the NEC that typically box the entire Northeastern US as just being within the NEC, again another fallacy, anything not in the NEC is supposed to be the Midwest to these people, meaning Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Syracuse, etc.

Its safe to think that Pittsburgh doesn't belong to any of the "Mega Regions"... Not the NEC, nor the Chicago Mega Region. Pittsburgh doesn't have the relationship with Chicago that the Ohio 3 C's Cities, and to West do. Pittsburgh trades population mostly with the NEC, however it doesn't move as fluidly as the cities within the NEC themselves.

Its all I 95's fault!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times
I never been to Richmond, but live in Pittsburgh since 2008.

Pluses:
-Interesting topography
-Affordable housing
-Family oriented
-Many foreign students come to Pit, Carnegie Mellon
-Yoga is very popular
-Huge Steelers fan base
-Lots of bars

Minuses:
-Traffic near the tunnels
- Population is not as diverse as people say it is. Though we have many Polish, German, and Indian people here, Pittsburgh doesn't compare to Chicago, DC, Atlanta or other bigger cities
-Winter weather sucks- cold 5-months long winters with gray sky year around. Also rainy summers, but the vegetation is great here
-Nightclubs are typical top 40's, full of college kids in flip flops - very disappointing. I could still do clubbing at 31 but I lost all of my interest in Pittsburgh's nightclubs
-Fashion - most people don't have style at all
-Many grow up and stay in Pittsburgh forming strong school friends and family circles. Locals are not that motivated to open up to newcomers; it takes time to get "included".

OK, but can be better:
-dinning
-public transportation

Have been contemplating to relocate my family to a different city, but we are stuck here for the next 3 years (school and mortgage).

Old 07-06-2015, 05:52 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiurda View Post
Nightclubs are typical top 40's, full of college kids in flip flops - very disappointing
Wow! There's more than one nightclub in the burgh still?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:55 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Different tiers of cities. Can't really compare. Pittsburgh will win every category (cultural, amenities, recreation, sports, urban living etc).

If looking beyond just the cities, you can start to compare what each city is close to and that would get more complicated. But as underrated as Richmond is, it just doesn't compare well to Pittsburgh.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Different tiers of cities. Can't really compare. Pittsburgh will win every category (cultural, amenities, recreation, sports, urban living etc).

If looking beyond just the cities, you can start to compare what each city is close to and that would get more complicated. But as underrated as Richmond is, it just doesn't compare well to Pittsburgh.
I don't think they are that different. They are both classically urban cities in different regions. Richmond is not short on recreation or culture. I will concede on the rest though.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:24 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Pittsburgh!

Not even close.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Based on the polls, 42 to 42. Amazingly matched up.

I'm a huge fan of both cities.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:56 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
I think Pittsburgh has made a lot of progress, but it's economy is not growing fast.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I think Pittsburgh has made a lot of progress, but it's economy is not growing fast.
I will agree with this .... Pittsburgh, (and Philadelphia too) is hampered by being in a Business unfriendly state of Pennsylvania ... If Pennsylvania would get its sh*t together in Harrisburg, Pittsburgh would be doing x10 compared to what's happening now. Philadelphia also has its own city Business Tax issue to solve as another layer that keeps jobs from relocating there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City