Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 01:47 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,814,955 times

Advertisements

I can't agree that any part of West Hollywood would ever be considered hipster. It's a district of LA that has been gentrified since the 1980s-1990s and is very costly to rent there. It also has no direct access to any major highways or metro stations and the areas surrounding it are mostly family oriented. Especially Larchmont which is adjacent to Weho.

Not to mention it seems like everyone who lives in Weho is a total douche in a yuppie way, far from anything culturally hipster.

For LA they could have just said Silver Lake, but even that has blown up to post-hipster standards so they probably should have said DTLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 02:12 PM

245 posts, read 324,452 times
So much wrong with this list. As for LoDo/Riverfront in Denver, not a hipster hood. And The Art Hotel is on the complete opposite side of downtown...plus the Whole Foods is not open, it just started construction and isn't opening until 2017. Nice work on the fact checking Yahoo.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:48 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,157,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
O4W in Atlanta becoming hipster? That place has been hipster nirvana for a long time now.
Honestly, it's more Yuppie then hipster especially the super fast rising rents.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:02 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,529,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Honestly, it's more yuppie then hipster especially the super fast rising rents.
It seems like most people don't know the difference. And to be fair, these two groups are merging.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,399,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I'm loving the fact that (finally) people realize that there's no such thing as a "hipster" in 2015. If there were, you could post a concise one-sentence definition that would cover it for everyone just like every other word in the English language (see: The Dictionary). This used to be an argument I'd have every week (it seemed) here up until recently.

Regardless, this is a silly list. As pointed out, Bend OR isn't "a neighborhood" etc etc etc.
Sounds like something a hipster would say. lmao

So there's no such thing as a hipster in 2015, but there was at another time? If there is no concise definition of a hipster, how could there have been such a thing at any time? Haven't you ever used labels to describe anyone before? Like maybe "redneck?"

Last edited by joeyg2014; 06-26-2015 at 09:29 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 11:16 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,542,653 times
^ OK, give me a definition fit for Webster's. It needs to be concise yet comprehensive. Most definitions are one phrase. We will then extrapolate from there.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:28 AM

8,611 posts, read 14,941,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
^ OK, give me a definition fit for Webster's. It needs to be concise yet comprehensive. Most definitions are one phrase. We will then extrapolate from there.
Counterculture movement personified by monied 20-somethings who needlessly dumpster dive for "vintage" clothing and bicycles and insist they're individuals - even though they all look relatively the same.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:03 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,273,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Pretty much. They only way you can avoid the "hipster" label is to make SURE you aren't within the ages 21-35, don't care what you eat, think everyting "tastes fine", think every type of beer "tastes fine", not care where you live, and generally live a life with no particular interests or passions. You also must make sure to not have an opinion on ANYTHING regarding food, music, beverages, clothing, or coffee (it all MUST taste the same). If you do any of the above, be ready to be labeled.
Actually, this would make you a defacto hipster if done on purpose. The hipsters of the 90s took everything that mainstream America thought was lame and made it cool by purposely avoiding everything that mainstream America thought was cool.

Then the hipsters of the 2000s took everything that was once cool to mainstream America in 70s and 80s and made that the defacto cool in an effort to redefine themselves from the 90s hipsters since the 90s hipsters originally thought that stuff was stupid.

Then the hipsters of 2010s have been going full-on "mainstream" to upset the other hipster demographics and once again redefine themselves.

The hipsters of the 2020s are most likely to adopt a bland Americana suburban style.

2. All self-proclaimed hipsters deny being hipsters. No true hipster labels themselves as a hipster as labeling yourself means that you are "adhering" to pre-defined style and tastes, which is the antithesis of the hipster.

3. Being "anti-hipster" is about the most hipster thing that a hipster can do. The most vocal critics against hipsters are hipsters.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:22 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,405,973 times
When I think of hipster I think of guys who haven't got a haircut in 6 months playing hacky sack in the park wearing winter hats even though its the summer. Around where I live Davis Square in Somerville.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,892,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I can't agree that any part of West Hollywood would ever be considered hipster. It's a district of LA that has been gentrified since the 1980s-1990s and is very costly to rent there. It also has no direct access to any major highways or metro stations and the areas surrounding it are mostly family oriented. Especially Larchmont which is adjacent to Weho.

Not to mention it seems like everyone who lives in Weho is a total douche in a yuppie way, far from anything culturally hipster.

For LA they could have just said Silver Lake, but even that has blown up to post-hipster standards so they probably should have said DTLA.
The Historic Core is definitely full of hipsters, though they are of the variety with enough money to pay some of the highest rents in the city.

Boyle Heights, Lincoln Heights, West Adams, East Hollywood I think are the next real up-coming artist areas.

I agree that the line between actual-artist hipsters/gentrifiers has been blurred with wealthier, yuppy versions of hipsters that may be vaguely into the same types of things but are essentially consumers, not creators (as pretentious as that sounds).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City