Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BIRMINGHAM VS MEMPHIS -2015-
BIRMINGHAM AL 22 40.74%
MEMPHIS TN 32 59.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:59 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Birmingham has had slight gains in population over the last couple of years.

As for Memphis being an international city..LMAO

In terms of comparison. Memphis gets a slight edge due to it having a pro team. Otherwise its a dead heat.
Hence your location is Birmingham bias is most definitely clouding your judgment.

The gains in population you are reporting in Birmingham are merely census estimates, the census has been way off before, so I never give any weight to a census estimate.

FedEx, Autozone, Backyard Burgers, Ducks Unlimited, and other companies are set up and headquartered in Memphis.

Due to it being the FedEx Hub, Memphis sees twice the amount of traffic as Birmingham at their international airport, along with over 500,000 more annual passengers. Memphis being along the riverfront gives it a decisive industrial advantage when it comes to shipping.

Both cities have good access to high retail shopping, but in terms of tourism Birmingham just cannot compete with Memphis and its association with the history of Blues. Birmingham also has nothing even close to Beale Street, but few cities do, but this is an attraction that makes Memphis stand apart from other peer sized cities.

Birmingham is also a more dangerous cities, registering 31.4 murders per 100,000 in 2012 compared with 20.2 murders per 100,000 in 2012 in Memphis. Birmingham went as high as 44.5 murders per 100,000 in 2006, where Memphis has not passed 24 murders per 100,000 in the past 12 years. As bad as a rap as Memphis gets Birmingham is more dangerous.

To put that in perspective, most people remember the bloodiest year in Chicago's recent history in 2012 where the city recorded a shocking 500 murders, that was just 18.5 murders per 100,000, typically the city is around 15 murders per 100,000, which makes Birmingham regularly register at least TWICE as many murders per capita as Chicago.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Everyone has an opinion, but I don't get what was the point if it didn't contribute to the thread. And twenty people shot in three days? lol idk, I'm not in Birmingham at the moment, that sounds like a statistic you see somewhere in Chicago.
Birmingham's murder rate is over twice as high as Chicago's.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:48 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,899,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Hence your location is Birmingham bias is most definitely clouding your judgment.

The gains in population you are reporting in Birmingham are merely census estimates, the census has been way off before, so I never give any weight to a census estimate.

FedEx, Autozone, Backyard Burgers, Ducks Unlimited, and other companies are set up and headquartered in Memphis.

Due to it being the FedEx Hub, Memphis sees twice the amount of traffic as Birmingham at their international airport, along with over 500,000 more annual passengers. Memphis being along the riverfront gives it a decisive industrial advantage when it comes to shipping.

{"Both cities have good access to high retail shopping" Where in Memphis is High retail Shopping? Memphis is just Barely getting a Chessecake factory,. No Nordstrom's No Louis Vuitton, Gucci or Prada, and Just Barely starting to get high retail Grocers, So Again Where is this High Retail Shopping in Memphis, Birmingham has Riverchase Galleria and The Summit but that's about it }

but in terms of tourism Birmingham just cannot compete with Memphis and its association with the history of Blues. {Birmingham also has nothing even close to Beale Street, Or the Pyramid for that matter} but few cities do, but this is an attraction that makes Memphis stand apart from other peer sized cities.

Birmingham is also a more dangerous cities, registering 31.4 murders per 100,000 in 2012 compared with 20.2 murders per 100,000 in 2012 in Memphis. Birmingham went as high as 44.5 murders per 100,000 in 2006, where Memphis has not passed 24 murders per 100,000 in the past 12 years. As bad as a rap as Memphis gets Birmingham is more dangerous.

To put that in perspective, most people remember the bloodiest year in Chicago's recent history in 2012 where the city recorded a shocking 500 murders, that was just 18.5 murders per 100,000, typically the city is around 15 murders per 100,000, which makes Birmingham regularly register at least TWICE as many murders per capita as Chicago.

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 07-05-2015 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 11:18 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Agree, neither...
Both cities are less then desirable to put it mildly.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:24 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,422,433 times
Quote:
Birmingham's murder rate is over twice as high as Chicago's.
Jul 5 - 30 people shot in 8 hours in Chicago

Old 07-05-2015, 02:50 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,422,433 times
Quote:

I always use the Metro area population, instead of the actual city population numbers. For example, there's about 400,000 in both Miami and Atlanta, but we all know It's more than that. Same for Birmingham, the metro area's population is around the same number as Memphis.

BBVA Compass, Regions, Books-A-Million, Hibbett Sports, HealthSouth and other companies are set up and headquartered in Birmingham too.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:51 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:
I always use the Metro area population, instead of the actual city population numbers. For example, there's about 400,000 in both Miami and Atlanta, but we all know It's more than that. Same for Birmingham, the metro area's population is around the same number as Memphis.

BBVA Compass, Regions, Books-A-Million, Hibbett Sports, HealthSouth and other companies are set up and headquartered in Birmingham too.
Google has Memphis at 1.3 million and Birmingham at 1.1, but I'll admit, that's closer than I expected.

Anyone know the numbers from the 2010 Census? Is that what Google is showing at the top of their search results?

Old 07-05-2015, 07:32 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,944,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Google has Memphis at 1.3 million and Birmingham at 1.1, but I'll admit, that's closer than I expected.

Anyone know the numbers from the 2010 Census? Is that what Google is showing at the top of their search results?
Not sure, but they feel the same size to me.

I like Birmingham better, and the mountains slicing through the Metro are probably the deal breaker for me.

I also think Birmingham ironically has a much better black/white comfort & interaction level amongst residents - actually much better. I feel just as comfortable in Birmingham as I do in Atlanta. I can't say the same for Memphis. I also personally find people in Birmingham to be more welcoming to outsiders than Memphis, but that could have been the luck of the draw.

The suburban villages along the mountain ridge south of Downtown also have no parallel in Memphis.

Downtown is doing really well, as is adjacent UAB. They are building a full service Publix supermarket with lofts above, which is usually the signal for a recovered Downtown.

As far as shopping Birmingham has Saks, Von Maur and Nordstrom is on the way. They just rebuilt the Airport, which is pretty much equal to Memphis now for flights after the Delta de-hubbing.

They are pretty equal in size in my opinion, but I think Birmingham is doing much better at this point.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Yes, I'm familiar with metro populations. The point is the city of Birmingham has been seeing serious declines in population for the last 50 years now, a city losing that much population is still experiencing a lot of white flight and inner city residents fleeing to the suburbs, not something you want a city to be experiencing. Most cities are now bucking that trend.

Quote:
So a link to a story with a lot of shootings proves that Birmingham's murder rate is lower than Chicago's? Look at the facts. Chicago has an average of 15 murders per 100,000 where Birmingham is around 30 murders per 100,000. This story isn't about Birmingham vs Chicago though, it's about Birmingham vs Memphis, and even Memphis is safer than Birmingham.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:42 PM

33 posts, read 52,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post

Birmingham is at 1.2 mil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City