Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Arizona vs Nevada vs New Mexico vs West Texas
Arizona 35 37.23%
Nevada 14 14.89%
New Mexico 35 37.23%
West Texas 10 10.64%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:18 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times

Advertisements

Criteria:
People(population,diversity,etc...)
Better future
Economies
Scenery
Cities(skylines, amenities, etc...)
Anything else you want to discuss
Arizona

Nevada

New Mexico (http://www.modernmom.com/hottopic/2010/jul/12/emcore-shooting-in-albuquerque-leaves-6-dead-and-4/ - broken link)

West Texas

Please be mature about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 03:23 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Major cities being:

Albuquerque (New Mexico), Phoenix & Tucson (Arizona), Las Vegas (Nevada), & El Paso (Texas)

I'm going with Arizona. I like their stock of cities best. Tucson is a great city, IMHO better than the others. I haven't been to Las Vegas ever, so I wont comment about it as if I know it, but the others I've been too and Tucson is my favorite.

Arizona is also the prettiest desert state, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Flagstaff during winter time is beautiful at the San Francisco Peaks.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:30 PM

If anyone has even nicer photos, post them. I just posted what I could find.
Nevada

New Mexico

Arizona

West Texas

Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Utah should have been included, or maybe at least Southern Utah.

I say Nevada, anyway.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM

^You can still talk about that area.
People-probably Arizona would have more diversity even though all the desert areas have a large Mexican population
Better future-Seems like NM is starting to get better, West Texas has wind turbines which sets a boom, NV seems it might be declining? Not sure and not sure about AZ either. All will face water problems.
Economies- All I know is in WT wind is now dominate
Scenery- I say New Mexico hands down, then Arizona, but they all have beauty.
Cities- Arizona has the better cities, imo(Tuscon being a favorite). NV has Las Vegas which gives it recognition. I actually think NM cities are quite nice and WT has El Paso, but not many other big or small cities to choose.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
I voted for Arizona because I used to live there In addition, the Sonoran Desert gets rain both in the Winter (from the Pacific) and from the Summer Monsoons, keeping the desert relatively green. Phoenix doesn't feel that much drastically different than most parts of Inland Southern California, and Tucson is one of the most underrated cities in the Southwest.

Nevada gets my vote as having the driest deserts in the United States, both the Great Basin and the Mojave Desert. Nevada is unique in the respect that it has both a cold desert (Great Basin) and a hot desert (Mojave Desert).

Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/states/NST-ann-est.html - broken link)

All statistics are the most updated I can find from varying US government agencies:

Arizona
Population: 6,595,778

Demographics:
58.8% Non-Hispanic White
29.6% Hispanic,
4.1% Native American,
3.4% Black,
2.3% Asian
1.5% Two or More Races

Nevada
Population: 2,643,085

Demographics:
58.0% Non-Hispanic White
24.9% Hispanic
7.1% Black
5.9% Asian
2.3% Two or More Races
1.1% Native American

New Mexico
Population:2,009,671

Demographics:
44.5% Hispanic
41.9% Non-Hispanic White
8.7% Native American
2.0% Black
1.3% Asian
1.3% Two or More Races

West Texas (El Paso, Hudspeth, Culberson, Jeff Davis, Presidio, Pecos, Reeves, Brewster, Terrell, and Crockett Counties)
Population: 781,420

Demographics (just of El Paso alone..731,000 of the 781,000 live in this county anyways. I didn't feel like adding everything right now):
81.4% Hispanic
13.9% Non-Hispanic White
2.5% Black
1.0% Asian
0.3% Native American
0.3% Two or More Races

I'll do something more thorough if people are interested I feel like West Texas should be part of Southern New Mexico anyways, especially since most of West Texas is in the Mountain Time Zone (and far away from everything else in TX)

Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Santa Fe is the most unique and resembles strong southwestern and adobe character. Also the mountains in Northern NM are impressive with the best skiing in the desert SW.

Vegas has the best nightlife and entertainment.

Arizona is the best overall for diversity with the Grand Canyon, mountains, Phoenix, Sedona, and Tucscon.

Southern Utah is impressive with several National Parks and probably the best red rock scenery, I love the natural arches.

Not sure what West Texas merits, I won't judge, it's just not very well known.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 PM

People(population,diversity,etc...): Subjective, good people are everywhere.

Better future: West Texas, simply because economically it's in Texas. Other than that, New Mexico. Arizona needs to bounce back from this recession to get there and I hope they do. Nevada has the worst economy in the country right now... but I would like them to bounce back strong someday.

Economies: Texas has the best, New Mexico afterwards, Arizona 3rd but it's not looking too hot, & Nevada state wise has the worst economy in the country right now...

Scenery: All of them are really nice, but Arizona easily beats the others. I'll explain my experience below.

Cities(skylines, amenities, etc...): Well the mother city for this region is Phoenix- largest city with most amenities, but Las Vegas has the best skyline out of all of them. My favorite city in the country in all of USA is Tucson. But I like all the desert cities, they really hold a lot of value to me.

I have seen all of Arizona every corner of the state. Hot Yuma, pretty Sedona, my favorite Tucson, the large Phoenix, and the very nice Flagstaff.

Flagstaff is a place that I learned how to snowboard back when I was just 13, and I have gone back there during winter time twice afterwards... I really like it, San Francisco Peaks are very beautiful.

This is what Flagstaff looks like in winter:

Old 08-11-2010, 12:38 AM

614 posts, read 1,763,911 times
Awesome Danny i agree about Scenary. Arizona Wins that battle. The 1st pic is actually of Browns Peak, which is right next to the Phoenix Valley.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
Awesome Danny i agree about Scenary. Arizona Wins that battle. The 1st pic is actually of Browns Peak, which is right next to the Phoenix Valley.
Yeah that picture in general didn't look familiar to me like the other two. I searched Flagstaff and it was among the first choices lol, so I went ahead with it without giving it much thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City