Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans or St. Louis?
New Orleans 35 53.03%
St. Louis 31 46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:15 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,663,136 times

Advertisements

How about one style of architecture that is abundant in St. Louis and virtually non-existent in New Orleans-- pre-war midrises and highrise residential buildings (photos courtesy of skylinescenes.com):

http://www.skylinescenes.com/largeIm...e_146_9009.jpg

http://www.skylinescenes.com/largeIm...e_123_3975.jpg

http://www.skylinescenes.com/largeIm...e_166_3945.jpg

http://www.skylinescenes.com/largeIm...e_200_3411.jpg

http://www.skylinescenes.com/largeIm...e_223_8127.jpg

http://www.skylinescenes.com/largeIm...e_122_9117.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 01:42 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,230,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
The pics are of St. Louis are pretty cool but the amount of brick structures isn't that pleasant to me. Kinda gets old quick.
I like a good mix of brick houses, stone houses, and wood houses, but I would prefer to live in a brick home myself. More cozy, rustic, and probably not as high maintenance as a wood house I think.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:39 PM

9,698 posts, read 9,443,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
The pics are of St. Louis are pretty cool but the amount of brick structures isn't that pleasant to me. Kinda gets old quick.
I like the houses pictured, not as generic or low income looking as New Orleans.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:07 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,092,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I like the houses pictured, not as generic or low income looking as New Orleans.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you completely overlooked post #39.

I'm all for differing preferences, but "generic" and "low income looking"?? Lol...ok

Old 07-12-2015, 02:54 PM

396 posts, read 655,257 times
it may be of little consequence to the people who deliberate on these forums but if you have ever worked in historic preservation this book is the last word of style and significance:

A Field Guide to American Houses (Revised): The Definitive Guide to Identifying and Understanding America's Domestic Architecture: Virginia Savage McAlester: 9781400043590: Amazon.com: Books

just checked the index - St. Louis is mentioned 24 times NOLA 12

I also think people are debating 2 different things here -

Architecture - The physical box - its construction and composition, form and detailing

Urban Design - Street morphology, permeability, street width, sidewalks - basically the space in between the buildings

there is no doubt NOLA offers up some of the best urban design for block morphology, block denseness (different from population density) and robustness, but the craftsmanship, complexity and intricacy of StL's architecture has not garnered the national attention for style and design it should have, there are few places that offer as much in design form detailing and physical composition as StL.

As far as everything else - both cities have problems with crime they are dealing with, NOLA has an amazing food culture StL has better professional sports, StL has great cultural institutions - Symphony, museums, and zoo NOLA has a great mosaic of culture in Jazz, Creole and Cajun-

Its just a matter of personal preference

Last edited by Old Trafford; 07-12-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 12:14 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,987,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trafford View Post
it may be of little consequence to the people who deliberate on these forums but if you have ever worked in historic preservation this book is the last word of style and significance:

A Field Guide to American Houses (Revised): The Definitive Guide to Identifying and Understanding America's Domestic Architecture: Virginia Savage McAlester: 9781400043590: Amazon.com: Books

just checked the index - St. Louis is mentioned 24 times NOLA 12

I also think people are debating 2 different things here -

Architecture - The physical box - its construction and composition, form and detailing

Urban Design - Street morphology, permeability, street width, sidewalks - basically the space in between the buildings

there is no doubt NOLA offers up some of the best urban design for block morphology, block denseness (different from population density) and robustness, but the craftsmanship, complexity and intricacy of StL's architecture has not garnered the national attention for style and design it should have, there are few places that offer as much in design form detailing and physical composition as StL.

As far as everything else - both cities have problems with crime they are dealing with, NOLA has an amazing food culture StL has better professional sports, StL has great cultural institutions - Symphony, museums, and zoo NOLA has a great mosaic of culture in Jazz, Creole and Cajun-

Its just a matter of personal preference
If you look at the aerial photos around the core areas of both cities you can see how consistent New Orleans is with more dense and compact infill compared to St Louis block for block. The streets are narrower along with how much closer together the buildings are at street level. Beyond St Louis's dense Washington Avenue corridor area you have less consistency.

New Orleans
http://www.skylinescenes.com/largeIm...e_194_9164.jpg

St Louis
http://www.skylinescenes.com/largeIm...e_042_8913.jpg

As for the most notable architecture and more famous architect it would be St Louis with the Wainright Building (the first all steel frame skyscraper) design by Louis Sullivan (Chicago School of architecture). However, the Home Insurance Building in Chicago using some iron in it's all steel frame was the first to cross that finish line. When it comes to Colonial New Orleans is older than St Louis.

Last edited by urbanologist; 07-13-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 08:41 AM

401 posts, read 538,015 times
There are detached garages along St. Charles that are nicer than anything the St. Louis homers have posted

Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,157,426 times
A lot of the architecture in St. Louis you find in the rest of the midwest.

New Orleans is a bit more unique though cities like Charleston, Savannah, Key West remind me of New Orleans a bit.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:11 AM

9,698 posts, read 9,443,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
There are detached garages along St. Charles that are nicer than anything the St. Louis homers have posted
Some of them looked spindly and cheap, I like the better quality style homes larger homes pictured in St. Louis.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,540,185 times
Since the thread has nearly completely gone over to bones/architecture, I take NOLA (well, I take it either way), especially in the beautiful urban areas mentioned above.

However, any person above who states that you can find St Louis in any Midwestern city hasn't been to STL, period, and you can instantly ignore those individuals for the rest of the thread. Either that, or they've never been to other major Midwestern cities. STL is older and has more structural and housing similarities with similarly-aged eastern cities than it does with, say, Minneapolis, Columbus or Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City