Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 AM

37,902 posts, read 42,055,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Overrated: Atlanta (I still like that city, it just isn't as mind-blowing as I'd thought it would be. Would love there if circumstances were right); New Orleans; Nashville (entertainment revolves largely around music; majority of that music is country or gospel; not my thing; offerings of the rest of the city I can get more and better in Charlotte. I'd live here too, though)

Underrated: Richmond (profile rising, though); Columbia (very cool city)

Here's how I feel about Hampton Roads. The region itself is vastly underrated. Individually, the Beach is far more underrated than Norfolk. Virginia Beach is actually pretty cool; Norfolk is too, but people have the habit of lamenting HR as if Virginia Beach is nothing but suburban wasteland, which isn't fully accurate. Norfolk is underrated in the sense that it isn't often spoken of, but here's the thing. It isn't a true alpha of its metro, it shares that with VB (actually, I think the two, as a combined city of sorts, are an excellent place, but I disagree that Norfolk is the sole anchor). Norfolk, as a singular city, is in the same playing field as Durham or Greensboro. As a metro, Hampton Roads is higher than the Triad, about even with the Triangle, and definitely an underrated metro...
The populations are about the same, but I tend to think of Norfolk as a city as being more or less on the same level as Richmond and Raleigh.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:44 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,549,272 times
Honestly, Downtown Norfolk has been getting pretty cool these past few years. It's grown on me a lot.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:50 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,949,873 times
It pains me to say this as a loud and proud South Carolinian...but overrated has to go to Charleston! Ah I hate saying it but it really is true. Dont get me wrong I love Charleston and it is a great city, but its just not as great as people make it out to be IMO.

Underrated I would have to go with Knoxville...mountains, boating, college football...that's hard to beat!

Old 09-15-2015, 11:59 AM

413 posts, read 438,748 times
these threads always funny..........often times emotional and almost always locked smh........I will say surprised Charlotte is not the runaway winner or Atlanta those two cities often got quite a bit of hate thrown there way I guess Austin is doing something right if its garning that label more then likely........

Old 09-15-2015, 12:47 PM

5,850 posts, read 5,656,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The populations are about the same, but I tend to think of Norfolk as a city as being more or less on the same level as Richmond and Raleigh.
Why would you consider Norfolk at the same level? This is an honest question for me. Not only do I not see it now, but even as a child never viewed it as such, so I'd be interested in hearing your side...

Richmond without question feels like the larger city. Norfolk is very compact, and yet doesn't feel nearly as busy as Richmond. Without question, Richmond's downtown blows Downtown Norfolk away by any criteria imaginable...

It's well documented that Norfolk pretty much extinguished much of its history through disaster and urban renewal. It still has some beautifully historic neighborhoods, and in fact has a ton of history being that it is part of the region where VA was "founded". Notwithstanding, Richmond's history is not only more visible, but in most ways more significant...

The economy of Richmond is so much more diverse than Norfolk's, it's laughable to even compare. Richmond is wealthier, artsier...it's hard for me to find estimates simulated to a Norfolk metro minus Virginia Beach, but almost certain Richmond would have the larger economy. As it is, Richmond itself anchors a 68 billion dollar economy, whereas Norfolk has its load shared with the Beach (and even to a lesser extent, Newport News) to reach a GDP of less than 20 billion more...

Richmond has faster growth in the city and the metro, much faster than Norfolk. Shopping and retail entertainment leaves a lot to be desired in Hampton Roads, and the dining in Richmond city is far superior to the dining in Norfolk city....

I'd say that the cities are equal roughly in healthcare (Eastern VA vs MCV), culture in general, and education. Also, appearance/natural beauty may side with Norfolk, as its surrounded on three sides by water, and I personally love that aquatic, laid back beachy feel in Norfolk. Make no mistake, Norfolk definitely feels more laid back than Rich, and that aesthetic is extremely appealing to many people...

Both cities are also long on black culture, as both have been significantly impacted by blacks for over four centuries. Hampton Roads beats Greater Richmond overall, though, as ther are more blacks and more diversity amongst blacks to speak of. The cities themselves are essentially equal in diversity; metro diversity goes to HR. They even each other out, with Norfolk's importance to military, and Richmond's corporate/government importance, and Hampton Roads and Norfolk probably get the edge with finer women. Nightlife within the cities proper is a clear edge for Richmond, and entertainment options/venues are equal between the two metros. High culture is definitely in favor of Rich...

Overall, several ties, a bunch of Richmond and only a few Norfolk. I can't even count how many times I've been in Norfolk and the Tidewater; I love it there and would live there given the right oppurtunities. However, with a broad comparison that covers most categories, Norfolk city is at least a step behind Richmond (and Raleigh), and that gap only appears to be widening. I do hear that Downtown Norfolk is revitalizing nicely. It still has a long way to go to compare to Downtown Richmond...

Old 09-15-2015, 12:55 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,549,272 times
Quote:
Why would you consider Norfolk at the same level? This is an honest question for me. Not only do I not see it now, but even as a child never viewed it as such, so I'd be interested in hearing your side...

Richmond without question feels like the larger city. Norfolk is very compact, and yet doesn't feel nearly as busy as Richmond. Without question, Richmond's downtown blows Downtown Norfolk away by any criteria imaginable...

It's well documented that Norfolk pretty much extinguished much of its history through disaster and urban renewal. It still has some beautifully historic neighborhoods, and in fact has a ton of history being that it is part of the region where VA was "founded". Notwithstanding, Richmond's history is not only more visible, but in most ways more significant...

The economy of Richmond is so much more diverse than Norfolk's, it's laughable to even compare. Richmond is wealthier, artsier...it's hard for me to find estimates simulated to a Norfolk metro minus Virginia Beach, but almost certain Richmond would have the larger economy. As it is, Richmond itself anchors a 68 billion dollar economy, whereas Norfolk has its load shared with the Beach (and even to a lesser extent, Newport News) to reach a GDP of less than 20 billion more...

Richmond has faster growth in the city and the metro, much faster than Norfolk. Shopping and retail entertainment leaves a lot to be desired in Hampton Roads, and the dining in Richmond city is far superior to the dining in Norfolk city....

I'd say that the cities are equal roughly in healthcare (Eastern VA vs MCV), culture in general, and education. Also, appearance/natural beauty may side with Norfolk, as its surrounded on three sides by water, and I personally love that aquatic, laid back beachy feel in Norfolk. Make no mistake, Norfolk definitely feels more laid back than Rich, and that aesthetic is extremely appealing to many people...

Both cities are also long on black culture, as both have been significantly impacted by blacks for over four centuries. Hampton Roads beats Greater Richmond overall, though, as ther are more blacks and more diversity amongst blacks to speak of. The cities themselves are essentially equal in diversity; metro diversity goes to HR. They even each other out, with Norfolk's importance to military, and Richmond's corporate/government importance, and Hampton Roads and Norfolk probably get the edge with finer women. Nightlife within the cities proper is a clear edge for Richmond, and entertainment options/venues are equal between the two metros. High culture is definitely in favor of Rich...

Overall, several ties, a bunch of Richmond and only a few Norfolk. I can't even count how many times I've been in Norfolk and the Tidewater; I love it there and would live there given the right oppurtunities. However, with a broad comparison that covers most categories, Norfolk city is at least a step behind Richmond (and Raleigh), and that gap only appears to be widening. I do hear that Downtown Norfolk is revitalizing nicely. It still has a long way to go to compare to Downtown Richmond...
Uh... Hampton Roads has a GDP of roughly $80 billion.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:56 PM

9,693 posts, read 9,435,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree with you, they all are about the same level.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:00 PM

5,850 posts, read 5,656,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree with you, they all are about the same level.
Lol you're funny, Shakeesha. But Nashville isn't on Richmond/Raleigh level?

@ninja, we're saying the same thing. I said Norfolk co-anchors a region that only produces "LESS THAN" 20 billion more. Richmond anchors 68 billion by itself. I can't find simulations, but Norfolk without VB in its metro would certainly produce a smaller economy than Rich...

Old 09-15-2015, 01:05 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,055,455 times
Quote:

I'm not trying to directly compare Norfolk and Richmond in every facet here; I'm just saying that as a city, Norfolk definitely is in a tier above the likes of Greensboro and Durham and is more along the lines of Richmond, Raleigh, Jacksonville, Birmingham, etc.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:17 PM

9,693 posts, read 9,435,849 times
Quote:
Lol you're funny, Shakeesha. But Nashville isn't on Richmond/Raleigh level?

@ninja, we're saying the same thing. I said Norfolk co-anchors a region that only produces "LESS THAN" 20 billion more. Richmond anchors 68 billion by itself. I can't find simulations, but Norfolk without VB in its metro would certainly produce a smaller economy than Rich...
But you can't re-designate metropolitan statistical areas. As it stands Virginia Beach and Norfolk are in the same region, and it's going to stay just like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.