Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be best considering my criteria?
Los Angeles, CA 15 34.09%
Chicago, IL 13 29.55%
Raleigh, NC 11 25.00%
Charlotte, NC 9 20.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:26 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody109 View Post
I have been thinking of moving out of state but I am a little torn on where I want to go. The cities I’m considering are LA, Chicago, Charlotte NC, and Raleigh NC. I’m coming from Rochester NY and looking to find a place where I can build my life around after recently graduating college. Here are some of the more important things I’m looking for in a city:
It would be better to know more about what your expectations are in regards to cities. Like everything else in the world, cities also come in different classes of size and the extent of size controls how much you get out of a place and how much you can experience all in one place, but also has the drawbacks that come with it like congestion, over-crowding, traffic, a really busy life.
Quote:
Solid music scene. This is an important factor to me. I am an extremely musical person and I look to start a band wherever I go. I would like to be in a city that has a scene conducive to growing a band and playing out locally.
I would narrow it down to just two of the four for this if you're serious into music as more than just a side-hobby, Chicago and Los Angeles, just these two.

It is hard to beat Los Angeles in music, it is a center of talent and a lot of, if not most of the production and development companies are based there.

Chicago would be a bit more scaled back in that sense but the music scene is also very large there. In the case of both cities you would have a very diverse range of sounds, probably could build a niche of interests around yourself in either city. You would have all the associated amenities that come from having a strong contingent of music followers in a community there: schools, programs, events, sponsorships, scouts, so on.

If transitioning into the music industry itself is your primary concern then go with Los Angeles. Needless to say the opportunities for you there would be more abundant. Chicago second.
Quote:
Somewhere that will be conducive to growing my career. I just graduated college with a Bachelor’s in New Media Marketing. Right now, I freelance and would like to continue that/build my own web marketing company. I look to target midsize companies.
You could go either way on this one. Terms like media and marketing would be more affiliated with Los Angeles' arena of expertise. Like I mentioned before, you would have a lot of agents and consultants in that area to help promote whatever it is that you are doing.

Freelance and any sort of career off writing would be a bit stronger in Chicago, not to say Los Angeles is lacking in it either, obviously a huge city would have this sort of thing. Chicago is a more strategic area for business interaction, the city maintains a larger corporate presence than does Los Angeles and mid-size to large-sized companies would fall into this category. However, that goes without saying for general companies, if you're specifically looking for mid-size media marketing companies then that changes the ball game altogether back to Los Angeles.
Quote:
Warmer climate. Coming from Rochester I’m looking to go somewhere that has a warmer or more mild climate. I’m fairly sick of long, cold, snowy winters like Rochester has.
Well you're in luck, practically everywhere in the Lower 48s would be warmer than Rochester, New York/Minnesota (whichever one you are in).

Los Angeles would be the warmest, as Winter is the coldest season and three of these four cities have an actual Winter.
Quote:
Low Rent. I’m looking to keep my rent down as cheap as possible for now until I get acquainted with the city and build my income. I would like to keep the rent under the $800 mark either for a 1 bedroom or studio apartment. But preferably closer to $600. Really, the cheaper the better.
For one this would depend a lot on the type of neighborhood you would be open to living in, because $600 a month, even with roommate(s) in Los Angeles wouldn't get you a long list of suitable places to live in. It would be easier in Chicago but still, $600, even with roommate(s) there would be asking for a lot of things to work your way to get an ideal place in an ideal location that works to your daily activities.

Both of the North Carolina cities would be better for you if cost of living really is a concern to you. You'll be able to find more places in those two cities (in North Carolina) for $600 a month (roommate or no roommate) there than either Chicago and especially Los Angeles.

This is average by metropolitan area for the most recent year data is available for.

Average Studio Rent per Month, 2015:
1. Los Angeles: $913 per month
2. Chicago: $812 per month
3. Raleigh: $663 per month
4. Charlotte: $636 per month

Average One Bedroom Rent per Month, 2015:
1. Los Angeles: $1,103 per month
2. Chicago: $922 per month
3. Raleigh: $774 per month
4. Charlotte: $701 per month

Average Two Bedroom Rent per Month, 2015:
1. Los Angeles: $1,424 per month
2. Chicago: $1,093 per month
3. Raleigh: $918 per month
4. Charlotte: $831 per month

Average Three Bedroom Rent per Month, 2015:
1. Los Angeles: $1,926 per month
2. Chicago: $1,393 per month
3. Raleigh: $1,189 per month
4. Charlotte: $1,120 per month

Average Four Bedroom Rent per Month, 2015:
1. Los Angeles: $2,145 per month
2. Chicago: $1,624 per month
3. Raleigh: $1,477 per month
4. Charlotte: $1,389 per month

FY 2015 Fair Market Rent Documentation System — Calculation for

Keep in mind how much you pay in rent depends on which part of each city you want to live in. In most cases, if not the grand majority of cases, every city's top neighborhoods, you know the fun and exciting ones are near the city core and those are typically higher if not much higher than the average rent for the entire metropolitan area. So you're going to have to be specific for what sort of neighborhood and living environment and how close to what segment of each city you want to be in.

Going strictly off just the averages though, metropolitan area wide, the two North Carolina cities are more up your alley in regards to cost of living, rent, and likely other expenses.
Quote:
Large young population 20-30 (I’m 24)
1. Pretty much every major city is going to have a segment of pockets, if not entire neighborhoods and areas altogether that largely cater to the "young professionals" age group. So there is that, none of these four would be the exception to that, but would think Chicago and Los Angeles would be the frontrunners on this.

2. Or we can approach this question the median age route, this boosts cities where families are more common with larger households but numbers only measure what is actually there.

1. Los Angeles: 36.1 years
2. Chicago: 35 years
3. Charlotte: 33.4 years
4. Raleigh: 32 years
Quote:
I picked the listed cities because they meet some of the criteria listed above. LA and Chicago both have good music scenes and there’s lot of opportunity there music wise. However, both have their negatives. LA has very high cost of living/rent and Chicago has cold winters which I’m looking to avoid. As far as landing on Raleigh and Charlotte, I have thought about moving there before. I thought about going to college in Raleigh but ended up going to a local university. I like the warmer climate of North Carolina and both cities seem to be on the up and up. Both cities seem to have solid job markets, lower cost of living, and a young, growing population. However, my biggest concern with these two cities would be their music scene and opportunity to grow a band locally.
Yes, but none of them seem to quite meet all of the criteria, do they?

You're more than likely going to have to sit down and carefully think about what you want out of a place the most and you're definitely going to have to give some things up. You're asking for a top city for music lovers (in ways that you haven't specified yet), warm climate, friendly business climate with media, marketing, mid-size businesses, really low rent, and a young population.

No such ideal place exists and you'll have to choose from what you prioritize more. The easier thing to do is shorten the list, drop two of the places and narrow it down to two and then take a more thorough and closer look into where you want to spend the next several years or so of your life.
Quote:
Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Maybe someone has an opinion on which would be best? Or for those that live or have lived in any of the listed cities can you touch on a few of the points? Thanks in advance!
No, you're going to have to make life decisions on your own.

From a non-biased point of view, you need more specifics. What is more important to you, an environment with top shelf music networks and connections, or an environment where you can professionally grow in your field, or a lower cost of living, or escaping dreadful Rochester weather? Because depending on what is absolute most important to you, you could go any of the four ways, as these places are loosely similar to one another.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-08-2015 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 07:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,297,930 times
Quote:
I have been thinking of moving out of state but I am a little torn on where I want to go. The cities I’m considering are LA, Chicago, Charlotte NC, and Raleigh NC. I’m coming from Rochester NY and looking to find a place where I can build my life around after recently graduating college. Here are some of the more important things I’m looking for in a city:

Solid music scene.

Somewhere that will be conducive to growing my career

Low Rent.

Warmer climate.

Large young population 20-30 (I’m 24)
Low rent + Warmer climate + Great music scene + Large young population = Athens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Athens,_Georgia

Thirty Great Athens Bands :: Music :: Lists :: Paste

The “Athens Sceneâ€* | American Routes

Old 07-08-2015, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Move to LA. Get a room mate.
I would prefer to not have to get a room mate. I guess if it came down to it I would but the preference would be to not have to get a room mate right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You are thinking too much about rent in terms of where you live. This all depends on COL and you should be concerned about your salary in each city and percentage of your income that the rent is. $1200/month may seem a lot to you in a place like Chicago or LA until you realize that you would be earning a lot more money there versus Rochester, NY and the percentage that $800/month is in Rochester, NY might be the same as $1200 in LA or Chicago.
I mostly want to keep my rent down because I want to continue freelancing and begin to start my own business. I anticipate that I won't make as much in the first few years doing this as I would if I went and got a job at a company in my field. So keeping rent down allows me some freedom to keep doing that and invest more into myself and growing a business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Have you looked at Nashville and Austin?
I have thought about those a bit. Those cities could also be possibilities. However, I thought that Nashville had mainly a country scene and I'm not sure of Austin. I liked the fact that cities like Charlotte, Raleigh and especially LA had more mild climates, not too not too cold. Plus, as southern cities go North Carolina seems more progressive and continually growing. But maybe these assumptions aren't entirely correct?

It might be worth mentioning the genres of music I would be playing. Basically, I have two music projects that I would like to start. One would be a hard rock band somewhat in the vein of Red, Starset, Linkin Park, You Me At Six and Three Days Grace. The other would be a hip hop/electronic project most similar to Fort Minor.

Maybe either one of those genres would fare better in one of the cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
It would be better to know more about what your expectations are in regards to cities. Like everything else in the world, cities also come in different classes of size and the extent of size controls how much you get out of a place and how much you can experience all in one place, but also has the drawbacks that come with it like congestion, over-crowding, traffic, a really busy life.
Traffic wouldn't be as big of a deal to me as most of my work would be done from home.

Quote:
...However, that goes without saying for general companies, if you're specifically looking for mid-size media marketing companies then that changes the ball game altogether back to Los Angeles.
I'm not necessarily looking for a city that has a large marketing industry or many marketing specific companies. I mostly want to freelance and begin to start my own business so I would not be looking to work for another marketing company in one of these cities. Rather, I would mainly be looking to target midsize companies that need marketing work.

Quote:
No, you're going to have to make life decisions on your own.
I'm not looking for anyone to make the decision for me just looking for other's opinions of the cities and what might suit what I'm looking for. The rent data for each city you listed is really helpful. I appreciate everyone's input so far!

Old 07-08-2015, 08:08 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,641 times
If you're not willing to live with someone else, you can forget LA with that budget, unless you live somewhere out of the city.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,065 times
Los Angeles.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Cody109,
Raleigh actually has a very strong local music scene that's driven by the plethora of universities and colleges across the Triangle and the young population of the city and metro. In the entire Triangle, there are lots of local music opportunities and venues to hear and be heard. These include venerable live music venues and a variety of festivals including Raleigh's Hopscotch Music Festival each September. No mater where you would live in the Triangle, you would have very easy access to the sub-scenes in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.
Raleigh's households are among the youngest, most educated and fastest growing in the nation. It's also a city where its comparatively high household incomes vis-a-vis its low costs of living affords residents more disposable income to patronize local bands and the arts. Finally, you won't be at a loss to find up-state New Yorkers to help the transition, Raleigh is full of people who have come from there for many of the same reasons as yours.
I didn't get a sense that you were looking to make music your career but rather your passion. Others seem to be approaching this thread as if your career was going to be music. That said, you will have plenty of opportunity to explore your passion if you land in Raleigh or other cities in the Triangle.

Some links:
http://www.glassdoor.com/blog/best-cities-jobs/
http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...-affluent.html
http://hopscotchmusicfest.com/
http://kingsbarcade.com/
http://www.thepourhousemusichall.com/
http://southlandballroom.com/
http://lincolntheatre.com/
http://www.catscradle.com/ (In Chapel Hill)

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 07-10-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-11-2015, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 5,634 times
I would definitely love to make music my career. Yet, I also have to be realistic to some extent. I will continue to pursue it heavily and put all my effort into music. But, I also need to continue working and to pursue my professional career until (and if) something takes off with music. So a place that can help to do both is definitely ideal.

Obviously a city like LA has a big music industry which is why it’s a city of interest for me. However, I’m not sure if the benefits of city like that are really necessary anymore. Bands don’t really need to be signed to a label to be successful anymore.

I guess the biggest factors in judging the music scene would be the quality of local talent, if people actually go out to local music shows often, and what kind of scenes there are to support certain genres.

Raleigh does seem like a good choice. I could see how the young population and the number of universities could lend itself to people going out more. As well as the number of jobs and disposable income to help invest into the local scene. Plus, like you said you have access to different subsets in Chapel Hill, Raleigh, and Durham.

I have heard of other New Yorkers and especially Rochesterians moving to Raleigh. Not that I know anyone myself that has moved there but I have heard of people moving through friends of friends or relatives and what not. Rochester has been steadily declining in population for awhile now. Lots of people end up moving away.

For you rnc2mbfl and others who have suggested Raleigh, where might you say would be a good area to look to live? Like what neighborhoods would be good to look at?

Old 07-11-2015, 11:45 AM

139 posts, read 221,716 times
Raleigh is the safest I'd bet.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:36 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,793 times
Quote:

I have heard of other New Yorkers and especially Rochesterians moving to Raleigh. Not that I know anyone myself that has moved there but I have heard of people moving through friends of friends or relatives and what not. Rochester has been steadily declining in population for awhile now. Lots of people end up moving away.
Where are you getting the info that Rochester is declining in population. Are you talking about the city only or the metro? The Rochester metro is not declining in population and is actually growing in population.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:01 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ IMO national touring artists are almost moot with this while they're on tour.. When an artist is touring, they aren't living in that city. They're on the road in tons of different cities. So saying that a music scene (for a listener) is amazing because some guy who's been on tour for 10 years lives there isn't saying a ton. You could say that San Francisco is great because Metallica is there until you realize for maybe 3 years they've been in SF for a grand total of a month and tons of cities around the world have hosted them playing. IMO what matters more for a listener are not only the local acts, but how many venues there are and the variety of music that can be booked (and also quantity).

A city like LA with a huge music industry has enough artists where you'll have a lot of them not touring at the same time. Walking into some random venue and seeing a famous artist in an intimate setting would be a lot more of a reality there than a Charlotte or Raleigh.
It's more that cities with good scenes cultivate a larger number of high quality bands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City