Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:00 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,833,754 times

Advertisements

Bellevue has two projects worth 3.2 billion dollars the Spring Distric and Lincoln Square expansion . There is several towers also under construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 10:03 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,413,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Bellevue has two projects worth 3.2 billion dollars the Spring Distric and Lincoln Square expansion . There is several towers also several towers under construction.
Yes Bellevue is definitely booming, unfortunately it will never have the charm and character of Seattle.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:08 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,833,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Yes Bellevue is definitely booming, unfortunately it will never have the charm and character of Seattle.
Yes it is a suburb but a strong one.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:35 PM

10,774 posts, read 23,924,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I would think Scottsdale, or sleepy bohemoth Mesa would be closer to second city to PHX over Tempe.
As big as Mesa is, as a city its an afterthought. Doesn't it have one of the world's largest trailer/RV parks? Scottsdale probably has more notoriety than Tempe given the retail and tourism aspect of it along with its affluence. However, have you been to Tempe lately? With the light rail line and the ASU campus, easy access to Sky Harbor Airport, they are doing more urban infill development than any other city outside of Phoenix in the Valley. There is quite a bit of building going on downtown for office space and residential. They are also going to build a streetcar line down Mill Ave.

Tempe Rising: The Valley College Town Is Exploding with Development | Phoenix New Times

Construction kicked off today for 2 million SF development in Tempe, Marina Heights - Ryan Companies US, Inc. - Ryan Companies US, Inc.

http://kjzz.org/content/76271/tempe-...public-transit

Old 07-13-2015, 10:37 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,907,043 times
I think it could be argued that Santa Monica is LAs most important suburb. It holds quite a large tourism and economic cache.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:52 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,117,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
As big as Mesa is, as a city its an afterthought. Doesn't it have one of the world's largest trailer/RV parks? Scottsdale probably has more notoriety than Tempe given the retail and tourism aspect of it along with its affluence. However, have you been to Tempe lately? With the light rail line and the ASU campus, easy access to Sky Harbor Airport, they are doing more urban infill development than any other city outside of Phoenix in the Valley. There is quite a bit of building going on downtown for office space and residential. They are also going to build a streetcar line down Mill Ave.

Tempe Rising: The Valley College Town Is Exploding with Development | Phoenix New Times

Construction kicked off today for 2 million SF development in Tempe, Marina Heights - Ryan Companies US, Inc. - Ryan Companies US, Inc.

Tempe Streetcar Is The Latest Development In County Public Transit | KJZZ

I went to school in Tempe, but admittedly I haven't been to PHX in a couple years.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:06 AM

797 posts, read 1,436,385 times
Bay Area San Jose?? Nah I thinks its Oakland but I am a little bias

Old 07-14-2015, 08:36 AM

144 posts, read 272,157 times
Chicagoland is an interesting case for this question because greater downtown Chicago acts as such a central hub for the region both economically and culturally. It always irritates me when people that live in Oswego or Lake in the Hills or some other peripheral suburb tell people that they are from Chicago when they live somewhere 50 miles from the Loop. But to their defense, this is partly because outside of Chicago (and to people that don't post regularly on boards like this one) there are very few common reference points for people not from the Chicago area.

Anyway, to answer the original question for Chicagoland, I don't believe that there is any one city/suburb that embodies all of the qualities the OP was probably looking for in naming a true "Second City for the Second City". Categorically, I would break it out the following way:

Economic 2nd: Joliet (National logistics and manufacturing powerhouse)

Quality of Life/Name Recognition outside of Chicago: Naperville

Most Developed CBD: Evanston

Largest Corporate Presence: (Tie) Deerfield/Schaumburg/Oak Brook/Rosemont/Naperville

Population: Aurora

Own Identity: Joliet

Nightlife/Dining: Naperville (Although I hate that half of the restaurants in downtown Naperville are just offshoot Chicago restaurants)

Most potential going forward: 1a - Joliet, 1b - Gary

Old 07-14-2015, 09:00 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,210,194 times
For the St. Louis metro I'm going with Clayton. It's not the biggest suburb by any means, but it is the seat of St. Louis County, and it serves as one of the metro's primary CBDs.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:05 AM

7,333 posts, read 12,412,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I would think Scottsdale, or sleepy bohemoth Mesa would be closer to second city to PHX over Tempe.
The U.S. Office of Management and Budget refers to the Phoenix metro area as the Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale MSA. I don't know if this means anything in terms of importance of suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City