Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,005,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The U.S. Office of Management and Budget refers to the Phoenix metro area as the Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale MSA. I don't know if this means anything in terms of importance of suburbs.
Theoretically with the build of the Phoenix metro

Phoenix would anchor the area, Mesa would anchor the East Valley and Glendale should anchor the West Valley, using that name sort of blankets the entire region.

But as for the 2nd most important, I'd put it as a tie between Tempe and Scottsdale. Mesa SHOULD be, but in reality it's just a large sprawl of housing and maybe 2 tall buildings, nothing really significant to add to the area it's considered one of the largest suburbs in the US.

Tempe, Phoenix and ASU have been key in moving Phoenix into a more dense and urban area. Scottsdale has the most tourism and notoriety for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 10:02 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,005,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Phoenix- Tempe
Denver - either Boulder or Aurora
PHX- Mesa for sure. Tempe? Noooooo.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:10 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,554,320 times
Pretty easily Waukesha for the Milwaukee area. The two "cities" are at war more often than not.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:18 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,660,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is true in a technical sense, as Sandy Springs has only been an incorporate municipality for a couple of years now.

Historically, I'd say it's probably been Decatur or Marietta.
I think it's Marietta for Atlanta currently. Marietta and Decatur feels like an independent city while Sandy Springs give an office park impression.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:17 PM

10,785 posts, read 23,957,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
PHX- Mesa for sure. Tempe? Noooooo.
I disagree. The OP said second most important city, not the second largest population. What's in Mesa that's so integral to the Valley?

Old 07-14-2015, 06:20 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,203,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I disagree. He said second most important city, not the second largest population. What's in Mesa that's so integral to the Valley?
Seconded, as someone who's never been to the Valley of the Sun. Tempe seems more vibrant/integral...

Old 07-14-2015, 07:17 PM

10,785 posts, read 23,957,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH3Flatlander View Post
Chicagoland is an interesting case for this question because greater downtown Chicago acts as such a central hub for the region both economically and culturally. It always irritates me when people that live in Oswego or Lake in the Hills or some other peripheral suburb tell people that they are from Chicago when they live somewhere 50 miles from the Loop. But to their defense, this is partly because outside of Chicago (and to people that don't post regularly on boards like this one) there are very few common reference points for people not from the Chicago area.

Anyway, to answer the original question for Chicagoland, I don't believe that there is any one city/suburb that embodies all of the qualities the OP was probably looking for in naming a true "Second City for the Second City". Categorically, I would break it out the following way:

Economic 2nd: Joliet (National logistics and manufacturing powerhouse)

Quality of Life/Name Recognition outside of Chicago: Naperville

Most Developed CBD: Evanston

Largest Corporate Presence: (Tie) Deerfield/Schaumburg/Oak Brook/Rosemont/Naperville

Population: Aurora

Own Identity: Joliet

Nightlife/Dining: Naperville (Although I hate that half of the restaurants in downtown Naperville are just offshoot Chicago restaurants)

Most potential going forward: 1a - Joliet, 1b - Gary
I've definitely heard of all these places, but aside from Evanston I could never put a finger on what the rest of the Chicagoland suburbs were like other than the affluence along the lake shore north of the city. Good synopsis here.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 PM

9,740 posts, read 9,529,677 times
Nashville>Murfreesboro

Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 PM

37,375 posts, read 39,800,466 times
Is San Jose at this point the most important city in the Bay Area?

Old 07-14-2015, 10:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,264,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH3Flatlander View Post
Most potential going forward: 1a - Joliet, 1b - Gary
That ship sailed a long time ago and it doesn't look like it's coming back anytime soon.
My parents are from there and it's been a downhill slide for as long as I have been alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City