Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best regional hot dog style?
New York (Simple - brown mustard, sauerkraut, onions/tomato paste) 36 14.94%
Chicago (poppy seed bun, fresh tomato, big spears of pickle, hot peppers, sweet onion, celery salt, green relish 108 44.81%
Seattle (cream cheese, grilled onions, sriracha, with dogs split) 23 9.54%
Sonoran (bacon-wrapped, beans, grilled onion, tomatoes, mayonnaise/cream sauce) 20 8.30%
Kansas City (sesame seed bun, brown mustard, sauerkraut, melted Swiss cheese) 9 3.73%
Other (Please name) 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times

Advertisements

Agreed, completely ridiculous!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Agreed, completely ridiculous!
This is a message board in which all discussion considering all angles related to the topic are welcomed. Everyone here is contributing their opinion and being civil. I fail to see what's so ridiculous about that.

Yeah, I think that a "Seattle style" hot dog should contain something unique to Seattle. Sue me.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:49 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,420 times
There are absolutely regional differences in hot dogs.

In Chicago, when you say "hot dog" to people, they immediately think of the same thing: poppy-seed bun, mustard, tomatoes, onions, pickle spear, sport peppers, celery salt, neon-green relish. The hot dog itself is always beef and almost always Vienna Beef brand. How many people on, say, the West Coast even know what sport peppers are? How many know what celery salt is? How about Vienna Beef? You see these everywhere. Outside of the Chicago area, it's very difficult to find this preparation, but when you do, it's always advertised as Chicago style. Shake Shack sells it as a "Shack-cago dog."

But I grew up in New York, and when I think of a hot dog, I think mustard and sauerkraut (though, to answer the original question in this thread, Chicago-style beats all as far as I'm concerned). Onion sauce, generally made by Sabrett, is also acceptable. You can find other preparations of hot dog in New York, but they're not really New York hot dogs.

In Rhode Island, they're called hot wieners, they're small, they're made with some combination of veal and pork, and they're topped with celery salt (there it is again!), mustard, onions and a meat sauce. Eating more than one at a time is more common than elsewhere.

Not every region has a trademark hot dog, but some do. What's so hard to accept about that?

Old 07-16-2015, 11:56 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I have never seen a bacon wrapped hotdog in the style I described upthread outside of the Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco areas (though I believe it originated in Mexico).

That Sonoran dog seemed pretty darn unique and regional as well.

I love how the internet is such a cesspool of negativity and know-it-alls. It's a freaking hot dog thread and people are arguing vehemently about whether regional variations exist. Come on.
Forget it Jake, it's CityData...

Old 07-16-2015, 12:23 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
This is a message board in which all discussion considering all angles related to the topic are welcomed. Everyone here is contributing their opinion and being civil. I fail to see what's so ridiculous about that.

Yeah, I think that a "Seattle style" hot dog should contain something unique to Seattle. Sue me.
All you've done is try to scold the OP and derail a thread everyone else is enjoying. In a civil tone? Maybe. But you haven't added anything to the conversation, either. Nor have you addressed the people who disagree with you.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:25 PM

18 posts, read 21,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I tend to agree. Also, any regional food needs to be easily, immediately identifiable with the region. I had never heard of a "Seattle style" hot dog before a few months ago....the "KC style" strikes me as something that you see, or at least see close variants of using different cheese, all over the country.....and NY doesn't really have a "style" of hotdog, just a plethora of vendors that sell regular hotdogs.

Chicago gets a pass. But besides that, there aren't any regional varieties of hotdog.
So because you hadn't heard of them they don't exist?

Old 07-16-2015, 12:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco34 View Post
So because you hadn't heard of them they don't exist?
That's what I was thinking!

Old 07-16-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
If any region is going to claim a style of hot dog, it should contain ingredients or preparation methods that are truly unique to said region. Seattle style sounds tasty, but it's also just a random combination of ingredients anyone could have concocted in their kitchen before it was even given a title.
Supposedly it's a unique combination that has been popular in Seattle since the 1980s and is prolific throughout Seattle but hard to find anywhere else. Also, if you have ever have a Seattle style hot dog from a vendor in Seattle you'd see there's definitely an art to making it.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:

How are the ingredients in a Chicago dog unique to Chicago? A regional variation means a style/combination that was invented in, is popular in, and is easy to get in a certain region. These all fit the bill.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:13 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
those things I've been eating all these years that I called hot dogs are apparently something else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City