Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:56 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

Overcast skies aren't all the same, believe it or not. This is a typical cloudy day in Pittsburgh, and this is a typical cloudy day in Seattle. Notice how the clouds are lower, thicker and darker in Seattle than they are in Pittsburgh. That's the big difference. Another difference is that you're more likely to have a sunny or partly cloudy day in Pittsburgh during the winter than you are in Seattle.

As for mostly cloudy skies, it's not uncommon for them to look like this or this in Pittsburgh during the colder months, and this or this during the warmer months. In other words, mostly cloudy skies can, and often do, have some brightness to them, so you'll have to pardon us normal people if we don't cancel all our outdoor plans and slit our wrists if the latest hourly observation says the skies are mostly cloudy.

And though Pittsburgh gets thunderstorms in the summer, if the forecast for the day is hazy, hot and humid with a 30% chance of evening thunderstorms, chances are the sky in Pittsburgh looks like this during the mid-afternoon. And if the storms either clear out or rain themselves out before sunset, it's possible to have one like this.

By the way, none of this includes the days that are sunny to partly cloudy and pleasant all day. And anecdotally speaking, here's an observation made recently by somebody who moved to Pittsburgh from Florida:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
...has anyone else noticed that, regardless of the actual weather, the official conditions at NWS Pittsburgh Int Airport often are listed as "mostly cloudy"?

Yesterday was a perfect example. I went for a walk on my lunch hour at noon, sun was shining brightly and there were only a few small puffy clouds in the sky, but the weather reading from PIT was "mostly cloudy". I live and work in the western 'burbs so it's not like the weather would be dramatically different a few miles down the road. I notice this a lot. After a run on the Montour Trail where I am dripping with sweat from the sun beating down on me, I get back to my car and look at my phone, and yup, "mostly cloudy".

Does the NWS use the yinzer guidelines for sky cover? There is one cloud in the sky so that means CLOUDY!

I am truly curious why this is, and if any of our other resident weather buffs here have noticed this.
By the way, I have noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:26 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Overcast skies aren't all the same, believe it or not. This is a typical cloudy day in Pittsburgh, and this is a typical cloudy day in Seattle. Notice how the clouds are lower, thicker and darker in Seattle than they are in Pittsburgh. That's the big difference. Another difference is that you're more likely to have a sunny or partly cloudy day in Pittsburgh during the winter than you are in Seattle.

As for mostly cloudy skies, it's not uncommon for them to look like this or this in Pittsburgh during the colder months, and this or this during the warmer months. In other words, mostly cloudy skies can, and often do, have some brightness to them, so you'll have to pardon us normal people if we don't cancel all our outdoor plans and slit our wrists if the latest hourly observation says the skies are mostly cloudy.

And though Pittsburgh gets thunderstorms in the summer, if the forecast for the day is hazy, hot and humid with a 30% chance of evening thunderstorms, chances are the sky in Pittsburgh looks like this during the mid-afternoon. And if the storms either clear out or rain themselves out before sunset, it's possible to have one like this.

By the way, none of this includes the days that are sunny to partly cloudy and pleasant all day. And anecdotally speaking, here's an observation made recently by somebody who moved to Pittsburgh from Florida:

I have noticed that too. The sky might be at 70%+ clear but the Pittsburgh International Airport will claim it's mostly cloudy.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:51 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
I'd prefer Seattle weather, but at same time could see myself happily living in Pittsburgh due to many aspects of living there. I prefer a PNW climate to almost anywhere else, anywhere, and clearly so does the vegetation living there (I think that's a pretty good test). I mainly enjoy it because it makes it the most comfortable for year round outdoor exercise. But, these climate things are always hilarious, since so many people each have their own independent preferences... but I suppose if we just said to ourselves "different strokes for different folks", I suppose there would be a lot less traffic at least on this particular forum! LOL.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:26 AM

591 posts, read 819,679 times
I love Seattle's weather. Gorgeous summers, cool crisp autumns, and mild (though cloudy) winters.
Seattle's weather will never cause any issues, which is nice. It'll be never be too hot to do XYZ, or never too snowy to do XYZ. The weather is basically a non-factor year round.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:57 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
I love Seattle's weather. Gorgeous summers, cool crisp autumns, and mild (though cloudy) winters.
Seattle's weather will never cause any issues, which is nice. It'll be never be too hot to do XYZ, or never too snowy to do XYZ. The weather is basically a non-factor year round.
I think the dampness can be quite irritating actually. It ruins your clothes, makes you stink and makes everything in your house messy. Not to mention the mold and allergies it causes and the effect on your mood the lack of sunlight has.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think the dampness can be quite irritating actually. It ruins your clothes, makes you stink and makes everything in your house messy. Not to mention the mold and allergies it causes and the effect on your mood the lack of sunlight has.
Idk... I lived there for 4 years for college and I was always happy lol... the winters still have occasional sun breaks.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:29 PM

36 posts, read 35,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoolguy View Post
How is Seattle more depressing?

Clear days:
Pittsburgh 12
Seattle: 33

Cloudy days
Pittsburgh: 86
Seattle: 60

Partly cloudy days:
Pittsburgh: 97
Seattle: 102

Days with precipitation:
Pittsburgh: 100
Seattle: 68

source:
Is Pittsburgh the 'Seattle of the east?' | Weather - WTAE Home

If anything Pittsburgh is more depressing if you are talking about weather...If you are talking about the "other depression" Seattle isn't even close to the most depressed city..Pittsburgh on the other hand is ranked 2nd in unhappiest cities in America list and has a higher suiced rate than Seattle..

I can definitely see this. Upstate NY cities are the exact same, some cases worse. Syracuse averages 120 inches of snow on top of 40 for rain. Its easily top 5 for gloomiest and worst weather cities in the country. I counted 17 days of sunshine this past winter over a period of 4 months. Forget about this summer. Its been terrible. Nothing but clouds and rain. If I was a betting man, id bet on Syracuse's annual sunshine % the last two years around 35-40%, no joke, which is ****ing abysmal. I don't even think most people realize what summer is even like in Seattle.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

Lol. The clouds in Seattle are RARELY that dark. Get off Google images.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:31 PM

779 posts, read 927,107 times
I've never been to Pittsburgh, but Seattle's weather is near perfect in my opinion. If Pittsburgh's weather is snowier, than I'd have to give the nod to Seattle.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:44 PM

103 posts, read 168,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think you are exaggerating lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City