Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:32 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,171,169 times

Advertisements

Definitely Denver. It's investing a lot more in public amenities and spaces, such as Union Station, light rail, and its various parks. Phoenix's growth is driven entirely by short-sighted private investment, whose negative externalities (such as excessive sprawl or heavy water usage in a desert) will come back to bite them in the butt. Either Phoenix is going to have to completely change the way it is growing, or it will collapse in on itself (economically and demographically speaking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 10:02 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,975,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Definitely Denver. It's investing a lot more in public amenities and spaces, such as Union Station, light rail, and its various parks. Phoenix's growth is driven entirely by short-sighted private investment, whose negative externalities (such as excessive sprawl or heavy water usage in a desert) will come back to bite them in the butt. Either Phoenix is going to have to completely change the way it is growing, or it will collapse in on itself (economically and demographically speaking).
PHX is changing. Have you ever been here? Lots of urban renewal in both downtown and uptown PHX, and several high rises going in downtown as well as Tempe. The area sprawls, no doubt, but so does every major city. And PHX has done a great job of conserving water. Did you know that today, even with its massive population, PHX consumes the same amount of water as it did in the 1950s? Hows that for you? The rest of the country should use US as a model for water conservation.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:21 AM

1,122 posts, read 928,374 times
Quote:
^^^this. you're very kind in not posting the ugly stuff about Phoenix.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:49 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,171,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
PHX is changing. Have you ever been here? Lots of urban renewal in both downtown and uptown PHX, and several high rises going in downtown as well as Tempe. The area sprawls, no doubt, but so does every major city. And PHX has done a great job of conserving water. Did you know that today, even with its massive population, PHX consumes the same amount of water as it did in the 1950s? Hows that for you? The rest of the country should use US as a model for water conservation.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
That doesn't mean that your water supply isn't running out. Props to you guys on cutting down consumption, and I do love that Phoenix is developing its downtown more. But the fact remains that there's a lot of work to be done to make Phoenix something that is permanently sustainable in its location, and with increasingly dramatic weather extremes caused by climate change that will undoubtedly become more difficult.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:31 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,975,690 times
Quote:
That doesn't mean that your water supply isn't running out. Props to you guys on cutting down consumption, and I do love that Phoenix is developing its downtown more. But the fact remains that there's a lot of work to be done to make Phoenix something that is permanently sustainable in its location, and with increasingly dramatic weather extremes caused by climate change that will undoubtedly become more difficult.
Our water supply isnt stellar, but I wouldnt say its running out per se. AZ does a SUPERB job on storing reserves, and dictating who gets what and when. If the drought continues, AZ's water supply looks the best out of all the SW cities, by a long shot.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:01 PM

8,641 posts, read 10,171,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
THIS.

If Phoenix builds/ begins to build a a "central" Downtown area that draws people to gather together like Denver/ Seattle.... I can imagine it becoming a VERY desirable city. The weather is great... it's near one of the biggest Universities in the country.... Phoenix has a TON of potential.. it's just not doing much with it-- lol :P
There is a hell of a lot more going on NOW (building/infill) in downtown and central Phoenix (and Tempe) than I think I have ever witnessed in Phoenix. Of course this takes time, but trending in the right direction.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:02 PM

8,641 posts, read 10,171,625 times
Quote:
Our water supply isnt stellar, but I wouldnt say its running out per se. AZ does a SUPERB job on storing reserves, and dictating who gets what and when. If the drought continues, AZ's water supply looks the best out of all the SW cities, by a long shot.
This is certainly true and I wish more people would actually do research on the water conservation efforts before just posting ridiculous assumptions.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:23 PM

299 posts, read 440,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
There is a hell of a lot more going on NOW (building/infill) in downtown and central Phoenix (and Tempe) than I think I have ever witnessed in Phoenix. Of course this takes time, but trending in the right direction.
VERY TRUE... still has some catching up to do. in relation to other big-metros.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:25 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,505,516 times
Denver.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:23 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,831,978 times
Quote:
Yes, Arizona I think is doing a superb job given the situation. Water supply in the Southwest is like the big leagues, where a state like Florida is the kiddie leagues. Those in the kiddie leagues have no idea what it's like in the big leagues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City