Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:50 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,549,626 times

Advertisements

I've never, ever heard anyone refer to Phoenix as "hip." Never. Not once. And I'm not denigrating it at all, it does many categories well. Just...isn't at all hip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 02:53 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,743,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I've never, ever heard anyone refer to Phoenix as "hip." Never. Not once. And I'm not denigrating it at all, it does many categories well. Just...isn't at all hip.
A lot of young people love the idea of going to college in Arizona. It's for sure seen as a cool place to be at the moment (maybe not for everyone).

Old 07-21-2015, 02:57 PM

283 posts, read 465,655 times
I'd say Denver. That it already has a larger, denser, more walkable downtown gives it a clear advantage, as that's the type of build environment I believe will be much more popular over the next several decades than the suburban and sprawling Phoenix build environment. That's not to say that Denver doesn't sprawl. Also, I read that Denver was going to start taking regional rail connectivity more seriously, and build several more lines. Also, Denver is certainly the more hip city these days among young people because of marijuana legalization, it's natural setting, and frankly, it's just got that vibe.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:58 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,549,626 times
Very true, but it's not a place for "hip." Hip does not equal popular. Often, it means the opposite or at least generally skews that way.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:30 PM

603 posts, read 936,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Obviously I already knew the answer Einstein
Did you? Because your comment only makes sense if you mistakenly thought the population of Greater Denver was less than 3 million. If you correctly knew it was greater than 3 million, then what did your comment mean?

Old 07-21-2015, 04:45 PM

325 posts, read 256,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Ive never run into a young person who thinks Denver is "more hip" than Phoenix. Unless theyre a pasty, heat-hating, Starbucks-type hipster, they wont choose Denver over Phoenix. I dont see tons of kids running to Denver to go to college. Im pretty sure 9 out of 10 would take ASU any day over Denver, as its youthful, extremely hip, and has much more mild weather, which most people prefer.
ASU is a pretty bad school - I wouldn't be proud that you can suck up large numbers of C-students and leave the better educated to Denver (84% ASU acceptance rate!). But the world needs bartenders too.............

Old 07-21-2015, 04:55 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,413,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Did you? Because your comment only makes sense if you mistakenly thought the population of Greater Denver was less than 3 million. If you correctly knew it was greater than 3 million, then what did your comment mean?
It means I know as well as many others that Denver feels and is a small city, especially compared to large cities such as Phoenix.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:35 PM

603 posts, read 936,213 times
Quote:
It means I know as well as many others that Denver feels and is a small city, especially compared to large cities such as Phoenix.
I don't think that is what you originally meant. I think you are reframing it since you didn't know Greater Denver was larger than 3 million. But let's go with it.

Phoenix makes Denver seem small measured how? By skyline? Nope. Denver has a much better skyline.

By density? Nope. Denver has a higher population density in both the city and the entire urban area.

Thriving downtown neighborhoods where people want to live? Denver > Phoenix there too.

Both cities have pro sports teams in all four major sports so it is not that either.

Fortune 500 companies based in the metro areas? Denver leads there too.

So how exactly does Phoenix seem like a large city and Denver small in comparison? Sprawl?

Old 07-21-2015, 05:40 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,495,938 times
Quote:
I really don't think you're going to find an outrageous difference in the way the two "feel" when it comes to size, especially when talking about the central areas. In fact, if you were to expand Denver's borders to equal those of Phoenix's, it would be larger.

Phoenix is 517 square miles with an estimated population of 1,537,038.
Denver is only 153 square miles, but if those borders were expanded to include the surrounding cities, the new city would be 519 square miles with an estimated population of 1,721,568. Once you leave that central area, I understand Phoenix continues for longer, but the size difference isn't astounding.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:03 PM

283 posts, read 465,655 times
Population matters little, I think. Cities should be more focused on quality growth, meaning density, transit infrastructure, education, and economic development. While Phoenix may lead in quantity, I believe Denver leads in quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City