Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston and SF pass Chicago and Los Angeles
Yes 10 10.31%
No 68 70.10%
Maybe 23 23.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Culturally, San Francisco goes toe-to-toe with Los Angeles. You point out pop culture. Okay(Blank Stare), but that's shallow and unimportant if we're being honest, no? LA's social media DOES NOT EXIST compared to the Bay Area. How idiotic to even insinuate anything to the contrary.

Billions of people around the world communicate using Bay Area based social media, please stop.

And what's up with your obsession with Taylor Swift?
Pop culture IS culture. Welcome to 2015. And as far as Taylor, that was just current example...but she is my baby lol.

You can't claim a technology platform as cultural dominance. People USE Bay Area based social media. That's it. You think someone in Jakarta uploading a music video to YouTube says "Gee, SF is so cool for YouTube!"? It's more like, "I want to be the next Kendrick Lamar, th e next Maroon 5. I'm moving to L.A.!" Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 09:52 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Pop culture IS culture. Welcome to 2015. And as far as Taylor, that was just current example...but she is my baby lol.

You can't claim a technology platform as cultural dominance. People USE Bay Area based social media. That's it. You think someone in Jakarta uploading a music video to YouTube says "Gee, SF is so cool for YouTube!"? It's more like, "I want to be the next Kendrick Lamar, th e next Maroon 5. I'm moving to L.A.!" Deal with it.
I disagree, revolutions have been started through social media, ex. Egypt, Syria, Islamic state, etc. Hollywood has no influence like that, not even close.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:52 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:

LOL this logic is ridiculous.

First of all, thank you Indonesia for your patronage. lol.
Alexa - Top Sites in Indonesia

Second of all, you talk about 2015 but your post screams 1980 thinking people are so superficial. Really?

Kendrick Lamar? Someone would move to LA to be Kendrick Lamar?

Enough with the loser transplants. LA needs engineers, not more brainless dreamers who wind up valet drivers.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I disagree, revolutions have been started through social media, ex. Egypt, Syria, Islamic state, etc. Hollywood has no influence like that, not even close.
Those "revolutions" (lol cause the youngins TOTALLY took over from the hard right Muslims) are still by the PEOPLE...not the Bay Area. Quick, where were fiber optic cables invented (no Google)? Off the top, you prob don't know (you might, but it's not common knowledge). People > technology, and the Bay lags behind LA in this regard, objectively speaking.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
LOL this logic is ridiculous.

First of all, thank you Indonesia for your patronage. lol.
Alexa - Top Sites in Indonesia

Second of all, you talk about 2015 but your post screams 1980 thinking people are so superficial. Really?

Kendrick Lamar? Someone would move to LA to be Kendrick Lamar?

Enough with the loser transplants. LA needs engineers, not more brainless dreamers who wind up valet drivers.
Here we go

Your logic is the logic that's ridiculous. Yes, Montclair, people really are that "superficial". I was at the gym after work here in suburban Philadelphia of all places, on the elliptical, switching between TMZ, Access Hollywood and E! News (all LA based btw). Oh, and I did this while listening to LA groomed/affiliated music artists. Not once was the Bay Area, whatever your expanding definition of it is now, crossed my mind. Maroon 5 > deceased Steve Jobs, current SF tech nerd "celebrity".

By your logic, Arkansas is a top 5 state, if not number one, cause ya know, Wal Mart. Lol. Please join the real world, at some point. We'll give "The Bay Area" number 5 and gaining quickly. But y'all ain't where y'all think y'all are at, yet.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:39 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Here we go

Your logic is the logic that's ridiculous. Yes, Montclair, people really are that "superficial". I was at the gym after work here in suburban Philadelphia of all places, on the elliptical, switching between TMZ, Access Hollywood and E! News (all LA based btw). Oh, and I did this while listening to LA groomed/affiliated music artists. Not once was the Bay Area, whatever your expanding definition of it is now, crossed my mind. Maroon 5 > deceased Steve Jobs, current SF tech nerd "celebrity".

By your logic, Arkansas is a top 5 state, if not number one, cause ya know, Wal Mart. Lol. Please join the real world, at some point. We'll give "The Bay Area" number 5 and gaining quickly. But y'all ain't where y'all think y'all are at, yet.
Hahaha so you actually believe that vapid, fake
controversies on TMZ constitute greater influence around the world than what's happening in Silicon Valley?

Are you like a grown up?

On the other hand, I am perfectly willing to concede that LA is in the news for pop culture happenings more than SF.

But as far as actual power, dream on. The Bay Area is clearly more impactful on the world economy and it isnt even close. Is it?

Old 07-23-2015, 10:42 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,787 times
Quote:
Here we go

I live in Seattle and people here could care less about Kendrick or Maroon 5, I hear people talk about SF a lot more up here because Seattle is saturated with IT people. LA no longer has the influence and allure it once did, this is the communication age dominated by the Bay's innovation, every city wants its own version of silicon Valley including LA.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:59 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Very little tech culture has anything to do with SF directly. That award would go to San Jose.

And saying SF is globally culturally relevant because of tech makes as much sense as saying that Detroit is globally culturally relevant because its the undisputed global hub of auto innovation and cars dominate the earth.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Hahaha so you actually believe that vapid, fake
controversies on TMZ constitute greater influence around the world than what's happening in Silicon Valley?
In terms of cultural relevance, obviously yes, x1000. LA is probably the greatest cultural exporter on earth. I would say only NYC rivals LA for global cultural exports.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
It took about 30 seconds to disprove your statement. I don't know how to link to the census site but check out the numerical growth for the year 2013-2014 for Los Angeles CSA and Houston CSA.
Sorry, but no. You're referencing annual estimates, not Census counts. Took me about 2 seconds to disprove your claims.

And, no offense, but that might have been the most pathetic, blatantly homerist post on this thread. Your own posted estimates showed that Houston and LA have about the same growth, well within margin of error, so you confirm my whole point. Even homers misusing data and not understanding the Census can't come up with a year where LA isn't the growth leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City