Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Closest to matching Los Angeles and biggest challenger to Los Angeles in the future?
Chicago (Greater Chicago MSA/CSA) 35 22.29%
Toronto (the GTA/Golden Horseshoe Area) 21 13.38%
San Francisco (San Francisco Bay Area CSA) 80 50.96%
Washington D.C. (the DMV/Washington DC-Baltimore CSA) 21 13.38%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:11 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,183,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
DC is an afterthought(yawns) and NY is totally focused on SF right now, far more so than it even cares about LA.

Is San Francisco New York? -- New York Magazine

The NY and LA rivalry is totally irrelevant and sophomoric compared to the battle between Wall Street ans Silicon Valley.

Hollywho?
Lol at your old, rehashed article that doesn't even proclaim SF as a "new" New York.

Here, I can play the opinion piece game, too.
Why San Francisco Is Not New York - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, NY, SF, Chicago. Where the EFF is your "overall economic center of the West Coast"???? Lmao
$826 billion GDP to whatever your "Bay Area" definition is now. Hint: L.A. wins!

Old 07-30-2015, 12:19 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Neither does the Bay Area. What Los Angeles (CSA) does have is a larger GDP than all of Northern California and that includes San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento and everything in between. If the Inland Empire weren't such dead weight, the GDP per capita would be higher too.
Oh spare me the GDP bravado cause Im not impressed.

Apple and Google-2 stinking companies up north, just 2, have a combined Market Cap of $1.1 Trillion. That's bigger than the entire LA CSA GDP. #ouch

In fact, the Bay Area beats all 13 Western States COMBINED in this regard. The world invests more capital in a 50- mile stretch of the SF Peninsula than everywhere else for 1,000 miles in every direction-COMBINED.

How on earth could LA possibly compete with that?

Last edited by 18Montclair; 07-30-2015 at 12:31 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
$826 billion GDP to whatever your "Bay Area" definition is now. Hint: L.A. wins!
Haha if LA were on the Bay Area's level, its GDP would skyrocket to $1.446 TRILLION.

So kindly put a sock in it.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Oh spare me the GDP bravado cause Im not impressed.

Apple and Google-2 stinking companies up north, just 2, have a combined Market Cap of $1.1 Trillion. That's bigger than the entire LA CSA GDP. #ouch

In fact, the Bay Area beats all 13 Western States COMBINED in this regard. The world invests more capital in a 50- mile stretch of the SF Peninsula than everywhere else for 1,000 miles in every direction.

How on earth could LA possibly compete with that?
So wait...two "Bay Area" companies have a market cap of $1.1 trillion that's literally defined by New York? AND their services are utilized/made far more profitable down south in Los Angeles? Ouch. The Bay Area really is the nerd of the global economy--begging for respect, but basically whoring themselves out lol.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Lol at your old, rehashed article that doesn't even proclaim SF as a "new" New York.

Here, I can play the opinion piece game, too.
Why San Francisco Is Not New York - NYTimes.com
The point is, LA is not really on the radar of economy watchers in New York. Why would they? There's very little to talk about.

On the other hand, every other day some Wall Street bigshot ia leaving their NY post for more money and potential gain in Silicon Valley.

This is apparently news to you.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
So wait...two "Bay Area" companies have a market cap of $1.1 trillion that's literally defined by New York? AND their services are utilized/made far more profitable down south in Los Angeles? Ouch. The Bay Area really is the nerd of the global economy--begging for respect, but basically whoring themselves out lol.
This is not really a rebuttal. Please fix and resubmit.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Haha if LA were on the Bay Area's level, its GDP would skyrocket to $1.446 TRILLION.

So kindly put a sock in it.
But why can't the "Bay Area" be on LAs level? Afterall, it's supposedly more desirable, according to you. So why does it have way less people, less cultural influence and a lesser GDP?

Old 07-30-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
This is not really a rebuttal. Please fix and resubmit.
This isn't really a good comeback. Please fix and resubmit.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
The point is, LA is not really on the radar of economy watchers in New York. Why would they? There's very little to talk about.

On the other hand, every other day some Wall Street bigshot ia leaving their NY post for more money and potential gain in Silicon Valley.

This is apparently news to you.
No old ass opinion pieces to back this claim up? I'm disappointed, Monty...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City