Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the cheapest?
Los Angeles 63 72.41%
New York City 5 5.75%
San Francisco 1 1.15%
Washington DC 18 20.69%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:56 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,021,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Having lived in New York while I interviewed for a couple of jobs in the San Francisco area a couple of years ago, I'm convinced San Francisco is more expensive than New York. In New York, I lived in a two-bedroom apartment in a safe, diverse, walkable, reasonably affordable (by New York standards -- my apartment cost $275,000) part of Queens with great public schools and excellent public-transit and highway links. Just in case there was an opportunity to make the move, I searched for a similar neighborhood in the Bay Area. Didn't exist -- not even close. If I could find that neighborhood in New York but not San Francisco, I'd say that makes New York cheaper.

I did relocation research on all those cities and found Los Angeles to be the cheapest of the four. Not that it's cheap, but it was pretty clearly the cheapest.
On average, especially compared to Manhattan, it is a little more expensive. The thing that NYC has over San Francisco is size. If you really want to live in the city of San Francisco and pay less, you don't have nearly as many options as NYC. NYC still has areas that are priced relatively well. They aren't going to be in Manhattan (though I've seen some really bad places for cheap in some parts of Manhattan before - but if you don't plan on being home much then whatever), but there's some that aren't too far away that are ok. Astoria, Queens for example still has relatively well priced places. Prospect Park in Brooklyn can be the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 11:00 AM

5,017 posts, read 6,025,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It has to be DC or LA. If you live in a mediocre suburban area (Prince Georges County, MD or maybe Inland Empire, CA) it can be downright cheap. NYC and SF don't really have cheap areas anywhere, at least not relatively close to the city core or non-ghetto.
The IE is not close to the city core though. LA near the core is usually expensive even when the area isn't considered particularly desirable. LA appears to be "cheap" because we have millions of people living in the "hood" and only paying $1,100 to $1,500 for rent.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:05 AM

27 posts, read 23,050 times
LA is a dump that's why it's so cheap. SF and NYC are expensive because they have folks that would pay to live there and they have better salaries than LA.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:37 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,393,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritornello View Post
LA is a dump that's why it's so cheap.
LA is one of the most expensive cities/metros in the U.S., so there goes that theory.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
LA is one of the most expensive cities/metros in the U.S., so there goes that theory.
If it's so expensive why is it winning the poll?

LA is a city for low skill immigrant workers. It doesn't have finance, tech, eds and meds, etc. It's a high cost city with low wages. LA is overrated.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
If it's so expensive why is it winning the poll?
Uh, because the poll has nothing to do with your claim that LA is cheap? Or maybe random C-D forumers' opinions aren't consistent with actual Census verified data?

Not my fault you don't understand the poll question, or the difference between fact and opinion.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:47 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,168,535 times
LA does have Tech. They don't call it Silicon Beach for no reason. A lot of gaming tech companies are located there too. It also has a few banks and finance.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Uh, because the poll has nothing to do with your claim that LA is cheap? Or maybe random C-D forumers' opinions aren't consistent with actual Census verified data?

Not my fault you don't understand the poll question, or the difference between fact and opinion.
Lol so how's LA the most expensive city in the US if SF, NYC, DC, SJ, Boston, SD, OC, Seattle, Alaska, ND, Oakland, Hawaii, etc are more expensive?

Not my fault your wrong

Old 08-02-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Lol so how's LA the most expensive city in the US if SF, NYC, DC, SJ, Boston, SD, OC, Seattle, Alaska, ND, Oakland, Hawaii, etc are more expensive?

Not my fault your wrong
You don't even understand the difference between cities and states, you're just posting random places that may or may not be cheaper than LA, and you don't even have basic understanding of English verbiage or grammar. How are we to respond to such drivel?

Old 08-02-2015, 01:08 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,449,902 times
LA is more expensive than NYC in four of the seven categories Red John posted, so I'm not seeing how it's the cheapest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City