Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the cheapest?
Los Angeles 63 72.41%
New York City 5 5.75%
San Francisco 1 1.15%
Washington DC 18 20.69%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:09 PM

401 posts, read 556,132 times

Advertisements

Gentrifying parts of NW/NE DC are relatively cheap for certain high end apartments although they are near or in bad areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,919,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
I love how defensive Angelinos get when they hear another city is more expensive than theirs….
I'm glad LA is the least expensive of these four.

I pay barely over 1500 a month for a 2BR in a desirable, walkable, vibrant, family friendly, decently transit-oriented inner suburb; granted, the rents have shot up in the last few years so most 2BR are now closer to 1800. I know there is nothing in the Bay Area that offers what Downtown Pasadena does at that price - there's hardly anything in Los Angeles that offers those qualities at that price.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:32 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,651,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm glad LA is the least expensive of these four.
Same. Who wants to live in the most expensive city? Not exactly bragging rights.

That being said, $1,500 for a 2 bedroom sounds amazing to me. I think my perspective on housing costs is getting warped from living downtown.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What is "so special" about **millions** of poor people living in grit? I spent much of my early childhood in the ghetto and dont recall feeling particularly awesome about it. In fact, my parents worked hard to move us out.

What a strange supposition. That having high crime, high poverty areas with horrible schools is somehow preferrable to safe, wealthy areas with great schools.

To each his own I guess.
Who said "millions of poor people living in grit is special"? There's only one buffoon with an internet connection that I know that would even characterize LA as "millions of poor people living in grit".

Old 08-04-2015, 12:48 PM

36,705 posts, read 67,794,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Who said "millions of poor people living in grit is special"? There's only one buffoon with an internet connection that I know that would characterize LA as "millions of poor people living in grit".
You said grit is a special attribute of megacities.

Now explain WHY?

Old 08-04-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You said grit is a special attribute of megacities.

Now explain WHY?
No, I did not. What I said verbatim was:

Quote:
Something tells me that the nitty gritty urban vitality that makes megacities like NYC and LA so special flies right over your head

Old 08-04-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
No, I did not. What I said verbatim was:

Hahaha dont try and backtrack.

You were responding to this:

I'm not a fan of NYC or LA because both are polluted and dirty cities. Cities like SF, Boston, Seattle are better imo.

You then essentially said that such pollution and dirt are what make megacities "special" and therefore in a higher league of urbanness than SF, Boston and Seattle as far as urban fabric.

Which is of course, preposterous.

That's actually one of the WORST characteristics of megacities.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:29 PM

401 posts, read 556,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
??? The poor immigrant areas of NYC don't have high crime at all. Most of them are safer than San Francisco.... There are housing projects in NYC that are safer than SF too... just sayin.
He mentioned early childhood. Assuming that poster experienced early 90s NYC, it was no playground back then. Bad neighborhoods were about 5 times as bad as they are now.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Hahaha dont try and backtrack.

You were responding to this:

I'm not a fan of NYC or LA because both are polluted and dirty cities. Cities like SF, Boston, Seattle are better imo.

You then essentially said that such pollution and dirt are what make megacities "special" and therefore in a higher league of urbanness than SF, Boston and Seattle as far as urban fabric.

Which is of course, preposterous.

That's actually one of the WORST characteristics of megacities.
Sorry, too busy today to get in an internet argument with an LA-hating autist. Best of luck

Old 08-04-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry, too busy today to get in an internet argument with an LA-hating autist. Best of luck
Darling we're all busy, welcome to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City