Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
San Jose 36 33.96%
Dallas 53 50.00%
Columbus 17 16.04%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:36 AM

5,033 posts, read 5,738,811 times

Advertisements

I think I'd agree with you on Houston over Dallas, at least based on that. It seems to have a museum/culture scene that surpasses that of Columbus and is probably the best of any Sun Belt city. Also, residents there can easily spend the day/weekend over at the water since Galveston is less than an hour away, and New Orleans is even a reasonable weekend trip from there.

In terms of Austin, it's difficult to really compare it, but I think there are many things about it that I would prefer. It seems to have a really fun and dense nightlife and foodie scene, it's downtown and areas appear to be very walkable, bikeable and livable, I'm guessing there's a lower rate of traffic/more relaxed pace of living. I've never been to Austin since I was a kid, but my fiance went and loved the food and atmosphere, said the Bullock was an incredible history center, and I'm guessing between that and weekend trips to San Antonio/The Alamo and other major historical sites within less than an hour (Austin is not isolated like Dallas in that sense) I would be more satisfied there. Plus, Austin actually seems to have made it a point to preserve park space within the city, and I think it is relatively tree covered compared to the rest of the state, and it also seems to have more terrain compared to Dallas, perhaps my impression is wrong but I have perceived it as being pancake flat. Plus, with UT and all the festivals there, it seems like there would always be something educational/cultural going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 10:54 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,161,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
I think I'd agree with you on Houston over Dallas, at least based on that. It seems to have a museum/culture scene that surpasses that of Columbus and is probably the best of any Sun Belt city. Also, residents there can easily spend the day/weekend over at the water since Galveston is less than an hour away, and New Orleans is even a reasonable weekend trip from there.

In terms of Austin, it's difficult to really compare it, but I think there are many things about it that I would prefer. It seems to have a really fun and dense nightlife and foodie scene, it's downtown and areas appear to be very walkable, bikeable and livable, I'm guessing there's a lower rate of traffic/more relaxed pace of living. I've never been to Austin since I was a kid, but my fiance went and loved the food and atmosphere, said the Bullock was an incredible history center, and I'm guessing between that and weekend trips to San Antonio/The Alamo and other major historical sites within less than an hour (Austin is not isolated like Dallas in that sense) I would be more satisfied there. Plus, Austin actually seems to have made it a point to preserve park space within the city, and I think it is relatively tree covered compared to the rest of the state, and it also seems to have more terrain compared to Dallas, perhaps my impression is wrong but I have perceived it as being pancake flat. Plus, with UT and all the festivals there, it seems like there would always be something educational/cultural going on.
Honestly, I think you are misreading the place. Traffic is horrible, really terrible, we don't have the infrastructure or public transit to handle the population. Only very small parts of the city are walkable and they tend to be very expensive and out of reach for most, plus for at least 2 months of the year (longer for many) walking anywhere is difficult due to the heat. July and August are very tough. Over 100 degrees for 11 days in a row and 42 days without rain, and it doesn't cool down at night. I have to wait til 9 pm to walk my dog but that means that I am walking him in 97 degrees instead of 101. Can still be close to 90 at midnight. We have conventional summer temps from May to October.

Most people from the NE complain bitterly about the lack of educational/cultural options. Our zoo is a rescue zoo, we do have the Bullock history museum and the Blanton Art Museum but nothing with the history and scope of museums that have been around for 100+ years. And yes, we definitely have festivals but it would be stretch to call ACL, SXSW, F1, FFF, TXBBQ, or other festivals educational, you would learn the ways of the world, I guess. Plus, don't forget, we are in Texas and far more conservative than most realize, we are liberal for Texas (and so is Houston and even Dallas for that matter) but we are still part of Texas.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:06 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,176,616 times
I don't know why people herald Austin so much when it's actual walkable urban area is no more than 2-3 square miles. Outside of the downtown and campus area, there are nearly zero walkable neighborhoods. Austin also really does lack of historic, significant institutions that makes cities stand out. This means museums, markets, places of history and culture, or significant landmarks. I mean, even Dallas has Dealy Plaza and a zoo/aquarium. It's also probably the least diverse, global city of the four main Texas regions.

And yes, it's urbanizing, but what cities aren't? It completely lacks any sort of rail transit so you're forced to take bus everywhere. And what makes Austin's food stand out? I always hear Houston as being Texas' food capital.

Austin is being overrated because of three things: College town, Tech industry, and SXSW and white liberals love these things, but it's not a city you see minorities gush over.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:18 PM

How expensive would a small house or apartment be near the Rainey Street/Downtown areas? Because despit the things that you say, I still think if I were to live down in those parts, I would enjoy myself pretty well, but I could be wrong though. I do think many of these same challenges might apply to Dallas, also. As far as conservative or liberal, that doesn't really bother me. People are people IMO, I don't let ideologies dictate my viewpoint of them, plus I have views that are on different sides from both parties ultimately (eg, socially moderate liberal, environmentally moderate, fiscally conservative/believe in individual freedoms/privatization). I do respect what others have to say though, and rarely engage in discourse, so I could probably be happy most anywhere. I'm not sure that Austin is a perfect place, just that in the right setting, it would probably have more for me than Dallas.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:29 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,245,530 times
I like most people fail to see San Jose as a stand alone city. Sorry but Dallas wins this one. Cost of living alone is going to push San Jose out of the running but the scenery is gorgeous.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I like most people fail to see San Jose as a stand alone city. Sorry but Dallas wins this one. Cost of living alone is going to push San Jose out of the running but the scenery is gorgeous.
Scenery, weather and location of San Jose would be quite enough for me to be very, very happy there myself, if I could afford to with a job there.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:12 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,219,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
For me, it's Columbus > San Jose > Dallas

Dallas is pretty much the opposite of what I like. San Jose is nice, but culturally bereft - at least it's part of an interesting metro. Columbus is Midwestern understated and plain-looking, but that belies a nice creative scene that's based right in town.

this, only Dallas would be #1 and San Jose last...there just isn't any there, there.

San Jose Named 2nd-Worst Large College City in U.S. | NBC Bay Area

Old 01-27-2016, 10:54 AM

650 posts, read 873,256 times
San Jose.

Why is Columbus in this? It has no chance of winning.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:24 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,946,337 times
San Jose because Dallas has a lousy and dead downtown

Old 01-30-2016, 07:32 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,049,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't know why people herald Austin so much when it's actual walkable urban area is no more than 2-3 square miles. Outside of the downtown and campus area, there are nearly zero walkable neighborhoods. Austin also really does lack of historic, significant institutions that makes cities stand out. This means museums, markets, places of history and culture, or significant landmarks. I mean, even Dallas has Dealy Plaza and a zoo/aquarium. It's also probably the least diverse, global city of the four main Texas regions.

And yes, it's urbanizing, but what cities aren't? It completely lacks any sort of rail transit so you're forced to take bus everywhere. And what makes Austin's food stand out? I always hear Houston as being Texas' food capital.

Austin is being overrated because of three things: College town, Tech industry, and SXSW and white liberals love these things, but it's not a city you see minorities gush over.
There is reason Austin has been the fastest growing city in Texas. I too thought Austin was overrated until I lived there. Lol plenty of African Americans love Austin. It's local hip hop scene is booming to the point that Houston artist are taking notice. Lol and saying Austin has no history is laughable It's the second oldest major city in Texas behind San Antonio. Perhaps you should actually spend time in Austin and not go by what you read online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City