Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which would you rather live in
OKC 11 20.00%
El Paso 15 27.27%
Omaha 29 52.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:48 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,448,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Wichita should rightly lose every poll of similar-sized cities. OKC and El Paso are both superior by a good bit.
I don't disagree, but it's more like OKC and El Paso than Omaha is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 06:51 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,932,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Oklahoma City is a slamdunk winner. It has job growth and a lot of young people (20% of people are in their twenties).
Well, according to the poll, it's not a "slamdunk" winner. I would choose Omaha - love that city.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:13 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,376,985 times
El Paso is a literal hell hole, OKC gets slammed by tornadoes regularly. Omaha, not perfect, is much more tolerable.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:20 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,932,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
El Paso is a literal hell hole, OKC gets slammed by tornadoes regularly. Omaha, not perfect, is much more tolerable.
No city is "perfect." Omaha is definitely under-rated.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:51 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,829,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Well, according to the poll, it's not a "slamdunk" winner. I would choose Omaha - love that city.
Omaha has an overall positive national image while OKC and El Paso are two of the most negatively perceived cities in the country. I agree though, Omaha offers far more than both of them and it isn't even a real contest.

OKC, with a metropolitan area of almost 1.4 million people, should be so much better than it is. El Paso just doesn't have a lot to work with other than its natural environment.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:21 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,118,706 times
OKC reminds me of Austin 30 years ago. I think it has tremendous potential.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:56 AM

5,366 posts, read 5,154,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Why is El Paso a hell hole? It looks like a more reasonable version of Phoenix to me. OKC with tornadoes still doesn't face the same damage potential as Gulf cities do with hurricanes.

All three cities look interesting to me, with El Paso being low on the list because I don't necessarily care for desert.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:25 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,829,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Why is El Paso a hell hole? It looks like a more reasonable version of Phoenix to me. OKC with tornadoes still doesn't face the same damage potential as Gulf cities do with hurricanes.

All three cities look interesting to me, with El Paso being low on the list because I don't necessarily care for desert.
I agree that El Paso has a similar feel to Phoenix. Personally I like its desert location and climate. It's issue is its one of America's poorest cities. I believe it has the 4th highest poverty rate in the nation. It's also unlikely that is changing any time soon. El Paso doesn't seem to be seeing the boom that the other Texas cities currently are. The place has great bones though and with a catalyst, it could become something great.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:59 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,172,159 times
Omaha by a wide margin. Funkier, hipper, better housing stock, more interesting neighborhoods. El Paso would be my second choice. Its my favorite Texas city after San Antonio, perhaps because its the lest "Texan" of the big 5 Texas cities. It certainly has the most "unique" vibe of the 3, since its a border town. It also has the best food of the options, and easy access to the prettiest countryside of the 3.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:06 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,172,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Wichita should rightly lose every poll of similar-sized cities. OKC and El Paso are both superior by a good bit.
I'd take Wichita over OKC any day, despite its admittedly poor performance against most of the cities in its population belt...that said there are a couple notable Wichita peers, by population that I think are less deisrable to me than it is, like Ogden, Bakersfield, Toledo, Denton, Flint, Augusta, Harrisburg, Scranton, Youngstown, Spokane, Lancaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City