Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 PM

54 posts, read 200,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
People are always complaining about different cities being "clique-y" on this board, and that baffles me. To me, that conjures images of high school lunch room drama. It usually seem like the people who are most worried about this are a bit socially akward themselves, and that perhaps they need to look in the mirror instead of blaming an entire city for not immediately liking them. It just sounds so silly! Aren't we all adults here? I don't think I've ever seen a "clique" in my adult life in Chicago, other than with the ultra rich.

LOL. I'm not socially awkward at all (my personality is just as crunk in real life) but it's something I have noticed here vs. other cities. People here are more reserved and more stuck in their ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 03:36 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
What I don't get is how Chicagoans can be both brusque and tell-it-like-it-is as some say and reserved as other say. Aren't those kind of mutually exclusive?

Old 01-25-2008, 03:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McOctopus View Post
Go to Wikipedia for Chicago and DC; from November through March, DC has 10 degrees on Chicago--and while ten degrees doesn't seem like much, there is a big difference between 42 and 32 . . .
And its probably also 10 degrees warmer in summer, and more humid to boot. And if its 42 or 32, youre still gonna be cold and have to wear winter gear. Its not like DC is some winter paradise or something. lol For that you have to drive about 1200 miles south.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:15 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And its probably also 10 degrees warmer in summer, and more humid to boot. And if its 42 or 32, youre still gonna be cold and have to wear winter gear. Its not like DC is some winter paradise or something. lol For that you have to drive about 1200 miles south.
I don't know, man...I've noticed a pretty significant difference in the winters here compared to New York, which is colder than DC, though comparable. It's really more at the extremes. Single-digit temps are a big rarity in much of the Northeast south of New England, and below zero is practically unheard of. And while you do have to bundle up a bit when it's forty degrees, it's not so bad, you can walk around without feeling like your face is gonna fall off. It snows less, and more to the point, when it does snow it usually doesn't stick for more than a few days because the temps climb back up above freezing. Now, I don't find Chicago's winters all that intolerable (yet), but they are on another level of cold.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I don't know, man...I've noticed a pretty significant difference in the winters here compared to New York, which is colder than DC, though comparable. It's really more at the extremes. Single-digit temps are a big rarity in much of the Northeast south of New England, and below zero is practically unheard of. And while you do have to bundle up a bit when it's forty degrees, it's not so bad, you can walk around without feeling like your face is gonna fall off. It snows less, and more to the point, when it does snow it usually doesn't stick for more than a few days because the temps climb back up above freezing. Now, I don't find Chicago's winters all that intolerable (yet), but they are on another level of cold.
Ive always agreed that NE winters are more mild (albeit snowier), but really, how often do we have cold spells like we just did? Once, maybe twice a year, only for a day or two or three? Minus the small handful of days like we just had, theres not a drastic difference between our winters.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:49 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
I might be confused, but didn't you just make the move?

If so, you picked a bad time We tend to get a few weeks of God-awful, but most of the winter really isn't all that bad. Worse than, say, Florida, sure. And worse than the Northeast, but not so much worse that there's a HUGE difference for most of the winter. I've spent time in NYC and Boston, and while both are better than here, it's still mighty cold. To a native Southerner like me, there isn't a BIG difference between the two.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:52 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I might be confused, but didn't you just make the move?

If so, you picked a bad time We tend to get a few weeks of God-awful, but most of the winter really isn't all that bad. Worse than, say, Florida, sure. And worse than the Northeast, but not so much worse that there's a HUGE difference for most of the winter. I've spent time in NYC and Boston, and while both are better than here, it's still mighty cold. To a native Southerner like me, there isn't a BIG difference between the two.
I did. And I'm actually glad that I moved now. Get the worst overwith . Plus, I figure it'll take me a couple of months to really get going here, by which point the weather will be nicer.

I've seen the averages, and by and large, you're right. I wasn't complaining about Chicago's winter, just pointing out that it is noticeably colder than the Northeast.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:11 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
I did. And I'm actually glad that I moved now. Get the worst overwith . Plus, I figure it'll take me a couple of months to really get going here, by which point the weather will be nicer.

I've seen the averages, and by and large, you're right. I wasn't complaining about Chicago's winter, just pointing out that it is noticeably colder than the Northeast.
Well, I promise that you got here in time to enjoy one of Chicago's favorite pastimes: Complaining about the winter weather. I also promise that, if you stick it out, you'll be able to enjoy Chicago's other favorite pastime: Enjoying the summer weather.

I can imagine it now...
Burgers and pitchers of Anchor Steam in the beer garden at Moody's.
Driving with the top down on Lakeshore Drive.
GNR and Bon Jovi cover bands at street festivals.
Afternoons on Foster Beach.
Flip Flops and sunglasses, man.
The outdoor movie series.
Trains filled with pretty girls in summer clothes. (Or pretty gentlemen, if you're so inclined.)
Baseball games!
Old Town School of Music Folk and Roots music festival.

Man, I could go on and on. It's the cold days that bring this out in me...

Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
Default Former Chicagoan who lived in Boston says....

Grew up in Chicago and also in its northwest suburbs. As an adult, lived in the city on the near-West side in a condo for 6 years. Did a stint in Atlanta. And just moved back to Chicago after 8 years in Boston (Jamaica Plain).

Chicago "feels" like Boston in terms of the people. Strong industrial, working class roots with lots of Irish woven into the landscape. Chicago also has great ethnic neighborhoods (Mexican, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Puerto Rican, Greek, etc, etc) although I'm sure since D.C. is the Capital, it can easily match Chicago in that regard.

Having lived in both places and having loved both, I will point out this: Chicago is FLAT and surrounded by cornfields. You could spend years exploring the city, but once you have and you want to get out and see what else is around, the options are limited compared to the East Coast. Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky (after a LONG drive)-- no offense, but the proportion of farmland to scenic-weekend-away stuff is not in your favor. But then again, you really can spend YEARS just exploring the city.

As for people, I have a close friend who lives in D.C. and two of my brothers lived in D.C.-- Chicago is friendlier HANDS DOWN. It's the midwestern sensibility. They're not as progressive as the coasts, but if you start to ask someone on the street what time it is, they'll stop and help you (as opposed to in East Coast cities where they'll walk faster because they think you're up to something.)

Chicagoans are less aggressive, more open, and yes, more straight-forward. From what I've heard about D.C., it's incredibly insular. All about who you work for and who you know (kind of like LA). Also, I've heard people wear their politics on their sleeve. Sounds tiresome to me.

Don't know the housing market in DC, but I'd bet Chicago is cheaper. As for sports, if you mean tennis and golf-- you'll want the suburbs of Chicago. In D.C. I'd imagine tennis and golf are huge. However if you want to be a fan, Chicago is the place to be.

As far as "fitting in," I think Chicagoans are some of the friendliest people I know (we're always confused when we visit other cities because of the "stand-offishness"). On the other hand, D.C. might be more used to people with "foreign" accents. A ridiculous thing to point out, but to be blunt, a lot of Americans still have the knee jerk intimidation factor when they hear a British accent (no one will admit this).

For what it's worth, I also heard while living in Boston that it was among the most cliquish cities around-- all the old New Englanders I guess. It may be that D.C. and Chicago will both be an instant improvement. Especially since D.C. has a steady supply of transplants with roots that don't go all the way back to the Mayflower.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2008, 12:02 AM

287 posts, read 1,028,236 times
I'm from Arlington, MA and honestly Chicago was barely an adjustment at all. Boston and Chicago have a similar population density, so they have a similar feel that way. The weather is nearly identical, just a day before out here. It gets slightly colder in winter, slightly hotter in summer, and there's a little less snow. On the upside houses are newer and way more likely to have AC. Not to mention rent is nothing next prices for housing in Boston. The ethnic and racial makeup of both cities are way different, but there's actually not any huge cultural difference.

The only overarching generalization I can make about Chicagoans is that they are a whole bunch of drama queens about the weather. You'd think from the way they talked about it, that a large swath of the country didn't have nearly identical weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City