Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Washignton DC America's Real Second City
Washington DC is America's New Second City 21 15.00%
DC will surpass Chicago In Importance but not L.A 24 17.14%
DC will surpass L.A in Importance but not Chicago 2 1.43%
No Way! DC will not pass Neither LA or Chicago 93 66.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:20 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,290,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
They are NOT A TOTALLY BUILT COMPLETELY CONNECTED MEGALOPOLIS YET. New Jersey is NOT TOTALLY in such a state to say Philly NYC have connected? But Baltimore Washington have.

This Wikipedia definition..... says the TERM WAS PENNED IN THE 1960s.... starting in publications since the early 60s.... and seen as FULLY DEVELOPING in some publication..... by the year 2000. But in all reality? The FULLNESS is not quite there yet. But again BALTIMORE/DC and nearly NYC/Boston but I still DO NOT SEE THE FULLNESS TO PHILLY. Or Baltimore and Philly did yet.

Some publications also penned a Chicago to Pittsburgh one and San Francisco to LA/San Diego. I don't think we claim that today either. But BosWash one penned is FURTHEST ALONG.

Here is a article on the 1961 article that penned the term and listed others and 50 years later.... Aldo noted a .... In a 1967 book,predicted that by 2000 one-half of the U.S. population would live in those three megalopolises and that any examination of U.S. population trends in the 21st century "would largely be a study of BosWash, ChiPitts, and SanSan." But IN REALITY.... The 3 BosWash ChiPitts and SanSan..... penned. Was 36% of TOTAL US Population on 1960. BUT ONLY 31% IN 2001. I don't think it grew to much higher today in 2015.

U.S. Megalopolises 50 Years Later

This in Wikipedia list some publications and what they say...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BosWash

I just say its COMPLETION IS NOT YET. You can say the Baltimore to DC part ..... HAS NOW extended to the Southeastern Virginia region, the VA Beach/Newport News Metro area. BUT IT'S NOT one to NYC. Eventually it reasons it will go to The Carolinas and Atlanta?

If MY OPINION and others ALL IS NOT TOTALLY THIS COMPLETED ONE TO BOSTON. BUT BALTIMORE DC IS.... Why in common usage we still don't say it but The GREATER BALTIMORE/DC METRO wants to say a taken over of CHICAGOLAND metro. Even DC into Virginia and other states alone will? That is not yet....

Not to split hairs.... I am fine with it MY OPINION......
Too late to add to my post here.... but I saw someone resurrected this 2009-2013 thread that had a loooog run today. To say a interesting thread.... lol.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...lly-exist.html

Last edited by steeps; 12-21-2015 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:32 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,126,571 times
My bets are on Houston passing Chicago before DC does. Cost of living will reign DC in.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:34 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,024,914 times
Baltimore-Washington will surpass the Chicago metro in population with in 10 years or less.

They added 400k + people in the last 5 years. Chicagoland is stagnate and starting to decline.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:58 PM

10,120 posts, read 10,017,865 times
Baltimore will be larger and more important than Chicago.. LA we're coming for you next.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Baltimore-Washington will surpass the Chicago metro in population with in 10 years or less.
They added 400k + people in the last 5 years. Chicagoland is stagnate and starting to decline.
I still can't figure out what you have against CHICAGOLAND? It ALWAYS had to overcome negatives... it did not have great weather.... you know ...
  • Winters generally not the mildest.
  • Corruption since before its Great Fire.
  • To the Al Capone era.
  • Southern Black migration and White-Flight leading to radicalness.
  • Todays city Pension debt issues and Illinois.
But the city continues improvements. Its Southside Gangland Crime problems is its BIGGEST So far it can't break. All its others Most Big city's have.

The City and especially its core outward.... is experiencing much growth and Gentrification and its Metro NEVER lost population. But the city had a 181,000 lost of mostly poorer African-Americans last decades census in its overall Citywide loss of over 200,000 The metro as a whole still grew then over 300,000 despite the City's loss.

Some Continuing signs of VIBRANCY I posted earlier... I scaled it down a bit here....
Quote:

Chicago -- has the misfortune...... of being in the Midwest. As a Whole the slowest growing region of the nation. Having generally colder and snowier winters is what is our current periods issue. The sunbelt has/is drawing its residents slowing its growth. Though Chicago is in the Midwest and its key city. It could very much be a East coast city. The city has MOVED UP from 8th place to 4th below only NYC,LA and DC....

2015 Marks Record Year for Foreign Investment in Chicago Real Estate - Market Reports - Curbed Chicago

Chicago Named 2014 "Top Metro" for New and Expanding Companies

More developers are looking to build MORE Single-Homes and Townhouses in the city as the Apartment boom has been a bit overbuilt. Demand for new single family homes and condos has been high in the Chicagoland area as inventory remains low. In the last 12 months, developers have started or completed the construction of 6,143 new residences — specifically single family homes, townhouses and duplexes.

Chicago Area New Construction at Highest Level in Seven Years - Market Reports - Curbed Chicago

But the Middle-Class as in the nation is hurt by a rise in taxes in the city's pension debt issues. But investors seem to still be bullish on the city as investments continue from its core and gentrifying neighborhoods all around it. This new census is to show the losses ended. Though Black flight might be continuing and lower Middle-Class. But Young Urban Professionals continue to move in.

Chicago still has the MOST DIVERSIFIED ECONOMY in the Nation. No more then 14% employed in one industry.

Economy

Chicago's drawbacks continue to be its Midwest location and Winters. The states debt and cities doesn't help. But overall the city has been good to investors and Downtown is blooming the nations premier downtown after Manhattan. Hitting all the bells and whistles of what a American Downtown is expected to be. Chicago's shoreline on Lake Michigan of Beaches and Harbors even right downtown that impresses visitors. it appears as a ocean setting.

Overall DC with Baltimore probably will have a metro that can surpass CHICAGOLAND. But they are still distinct cities
Construction cranes keep popping up in Chicago, with more rising in 2016.

Construction firms started an estimated $11.3 billion in commercial and residential projects in the Chicago area in 2015, up 2 percent from a year earlier and the fifth straight year of increases, according to Dodge Data & Analytics, a New York-based publisher and research firm. The trend should continue here in 2016, with Dodge forecasting a 7 percent rise in construction starts

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ction-industry

Who wouldn't love a view like this new one with old and bit of newer.... not newest but as a commenter said... is quintessential-Chicago...

Take a Look Inside the Under-Construction MILA Rental Tower - Construction Watch - Curbed Chicago

With a view just from this building this... Not that it's the Top Skyscraper view... but nice...

Last edited by steeps; 12-21-2015 at 09:19 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 08:53 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,411,632 times
Quote:
I still can't figure out what you have against CHICAGOLAND? It ALWAYS had to overcome negatives... it did not have great weather.... you know ...
  • Winters generally not the mildest.
  • Corruption since before its Great Fire.
  • To the Al Capone era.
  • Southern Black migration and White-Flight leading to radicalness.
  • Todays city Pension debt issues and Illinois.
But the city continues improvements. Its Southside Gangland Crime problems is its BIGGEST So far it can't break. All its others Most Big city's have.

The City and especially its core outward.... is experiencing much growth and Gentrification and its Metro NEVER lost population. But the city had a 181,000 lost of mostly poorer African-Americans last decades census in its overall Citywide loss of over 200,000 The metro as a whole still grew then over 300,000 despite the City's loss.

Some Continuing signs of VIBRANCY I posted earlier... I scaled it down a bit here....

Construction cranes keep popping up in Chicago, with more rising in 2016.

Construction firms started an estimated $11.3 billion in commercial and residential projects in the Chicago area in 2015, up 2 percent from a year earlier and the fifth straight year of increases, according to Dodge Data & Analytics, a New York-based publisher and research firm. The trend should continue here in 2016, with Dodge forecasting a 7 percent rise in construction starts

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ction-industry
Neither does New York, Boston, DC, Seattle, Miami,

Old 12-21-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Neither does New York, Boston, DC, Seattle, Miami,
I think you are confused.... Chicago is the city with a STIGMA and stereotype of having VERY BAD WINTER. NYC does not... I live due west from NYC 2 1/2 hours away. I get snow and many times NYC in the city gets rain.
  • DC- has Much milder winters then by me...from me as more south and coastal.
  • BOSTON has nearly as severe a winter as Chicago. But escapes the stigma and is Northeastern. That alone has a positive and as SF pretty much mostly gentrified.
  • SEATTLE- ALL know has MILD Winters definitely ... very little snow in the city. As for MIAMI??? YOU STUMPED ME THERE...
  • MIAMI - WINTERS ARE MIAMI'S BEST WEATHER. NO COLD WINTERS EVER... If you claim.... Humid summers are bad? I'd take if.... especially with a ocean breeze.... MIAMI - shows no signs weather is a drawback to have people move.....THAT ONE IS CONFUSING for you to note?

Last edited by steeps; 12-21-2015 at 09:46 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 09:41 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,411,632 times
Quote:
I think you are confused.... Chicago is the city with a STIGMA and stereotype of having VERY BAD WINTER. NYC does not... I live due west 2 1/2 hours away. I get snow and many times NYC in the city gets rain.
  • DC- has Much milder winters then But from me as more south and coastal. BOSTON has nearly as severe a winter as Chicago. But escapes the stigma and is Northeastern. That alone has a positive and as SF pretty much mostly gentrified.
  • SEATTLE- ALL know has MILD Winters... very little snow in the city. As for MIAMI??? YOU STUMPED ME THERE... WINTERS ARE MIAMI'S BEST WEATHER. NO WINTERS EVER... If you climb Humid summers are bad? I'd take if.... especially with a ocean breeze....
  • MIAMI - shows no signs weather is a drawback to have people move.....THAT ONE IS CONFUSING for you to note?
So you're narrowing down the weather to strictly winter? What about the miserable 6+ months of summer in Miami, or Houston? I don't see those places losing population or stagnating.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:05 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,252,062 times
Quote:
You stretch.... WHAT BAD WINTERS MEAN... Why the Sunbelt is gaining from those moving from the Northern US especially the Midwest.... honestly....Cold Winters get the Stigma.... not coastal Miami nearly as much for its summers. NO OTHER REGION has Southern Coastal California's near perfect weather.... So that's that.
It's not just the weather that attracts people to the sunbelt. A lot of Americans love to live in bland tract houses or McMansions in sprawling republican suburbs where they think they are getting the biggest bang for their buck, even if it means living in a climate similar to the surface of Mercury and getting hotter by the year.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:05 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,967,043 times
DC, SF, Boston, and Seattle consist of a different class of city than the larger cities. I like to call them the coastal elites. They have large professional populations, those with a bachelors or higher. Some are growing rapidly, namely DC and Seattle.
This is not to put down other cities, but the large cities are significantly different. I don't think DC will ever be the "Second City" nor does it need to be. It's the US Capitol. It's importance is pretty well established based on that alone.

Likewise DC really does not have anything to do with Baltimore. It really is a separate city.

With that being said the Northeastern Megagopolis is thing that does exist, even if there are some gaps. If you look at light maps, it is one solid block of lights between NYC and DC. People kind of forget there are some smaller cities inbetween the Baltimore and Philly, and Philly and NYC. In addition NJ is pretty highly developed along the turnpike, it's pretty much solid suburban or smaller cities. While it hasn't extended further south into southern Virginia yet, it is making it's way. That's the thing, it never gets rural until part of Conneticut between Boston and NYC, and even then it is only very briefly. There are definitely centers to these cities...NYC, Boston, DC, Philly, and Baltimore. But there are bridges as well...Trenton, Princeton, Edison, Wilmington, etc. These are not many rural places but small cities and suburbs all the way through until after NoVA suburbs of DC (which is expansive). It is something that is difficult to understand about the Megagopolis, it's not just the large cities, it's the small ones and suburbs as well. Again, look at a light map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City