Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:03 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,103,400 times

Advertisements

Agree with others about the GaWC study
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 02:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,183,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
But that has nothing to do with the argument. Lagos is a dirt-poor third world city. Paris is an extremely rich first world city. Obviously any rich first world city will be better than any dirt poor third world city.

If you're comparing first world cities, then yes, obviously size matters. Paris is objectively much better than Lyon and Marseille in many aspects, in part because of size.
That has everything to do with the argument because that is the argument! Quit trying to change the goal posts with this first world vs third world nonsense. Bigger doesn't always equal bigger was the original complaint. The fact that you essentially agreed with it with your Paris vs Lyons example tells me you're just nitpicking to be contrarian.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:57 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,354,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
That has everything to do with the argument because that is the argument!
No, it isn't the argument. You're trying to create a counter-argument to something that doesn't exist.

Has there ever been a person on C-D claiming that a ultra-poor third world city is objectively better than a super-rich first world city, simply because of size? I doubt it.

But when comparing apples-to-apples, size does indeed matter. Paris is a greater city than Lyon and Marseille, in large part because of size. If Lyon were as big as Paris, it isn't clear than Paris would still be the greater city.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:56 PM

10,117 posts, read 9,989,088 times
CSA's and office space.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:57 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,083,316 times
I agree with the poster up top compare apples to apples, yes I believe your argument but Lagos vs. Paris, isn't the best argument also, you are really talking down on Lagos here as a Nigerian I can tell you out of the 17 million people living in Lagos if your an average American somewhere between 500,000 and 2 million live a better life than you in terms of amenities etc. their are a lot of well to do mide class people in Lagos, don't know the exact number but probably up to 3 million to 7 million (by Nigerian standards where generally everything is cheaper, so being middle class is easier) of people living in Lagos are solidly middle class, and do not live in anything close to poverty, it is the remaining 10-14 million that live in poor to lower middle class conditions and even then only about 2-5 million live in what you would call ultra- poor conditions, like what you see in the donate to Africa ads. Lagos is the he second most advanced city in Nigeria and often considered top 3 most advanced in West Africa, it is not your average poor African city.
I agree that urbanity and walkability isn't everything, Lagos is Infinetly more walkable than any U.S. Major City. It is also more dense than all U.S cities(look how much area it takes 9 million New Yorkers to cover and roughly 17 million people cover the difference is obvious. The only area that can hold a light to Lagos density is Manhattan and the rest of the boroughs are as dense as the outer neighborhoods of Lagos. Also to prove that Lagos isn't that abismally poor just look at how many people live in Lekki and Victoria Island, 90% of the residents in this place are affluent in American standards, not just Nigerian. You should also look at the Eko Atlantic City Project, when that gets built (it is actually progressing, so not a fable). Sorry about the rant.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't the argument. You're trying to create a counter-argument to something that doesn't exist.

Has there ever been a person on C-D claiming that a ultra-poor third world city is objectively better than a super-rich first world city, simply because of size? I doubt it.

But when comparing apples-to-apples, size does indeed matter. Paris is a greater city than Lyon and Marseille, in large part because of size. If Lyon were as big as Paris, it isn't clear than Paris would still be the greater city.
The original complaint, as posed, was that a bigger population and/or population density does not automatically make a city better. That's it. You keep trying to weasel in an economic argument to give yourself an out, but that's not the original complaint. If I wanted to get nitpicky like you, I'd argue that there is no true apples to apples comparison with cities--it's all just a matter of degrees on a scale. See? You're just trying to obfuscate what is clearly a very simple argument: bigger doesn't always equal better.

Obviously, the Paris/Lagos comparisons are extreme, but they're still as valid as say, San Francisco vs Los Angeles when it comes to "size matters" arguments. Hell, to Montclair, L.A. is pretty much the 3rd World at this point, anyway. So again, the original complaint is simply bigger doesn't equal better when it comes to population and/or density. Your harping on what cities we can compare just comes across as disingenuous and a desperate tactic "to create a counter-argument to something that doesn't exist."

Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 PM

317 posts, read 378,657 times
I want to understand why some people think CSA works for San Franciso but not any other city.

San Jose probably has a bigger reputation than other second city in a CSA apart from Baltimore. Yes, San Franciso-San Jose COMBINED is a big force, but why is that so much different from DC-Baltimore or Boston-Providence?

Old 08-18-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
I want to understand why some people think CSA works for San Franciso but not any other city.

San Jose probably has a bigger reputation than other second city in a CSA apart from Baltimore. Yes, San Franciso-San Jose COMBINED is a big force, but why is that so much different from DC-Baltimore or Boston-Providence?
Yea, anonelitist or Montclair will have to explain that one. Probably because they're in the same state and the fact that NorCal is relatively isolated makes it easier to identify under the same umbrella? Maybe they have higher commuting numbers? Really not sure, to be honest. Seems like a pass without a local in-depth explanation.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:00 PM

317 posts, read 378,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Yea, anonelitist or Montclair will have to explain that one. Probably because they're in the same state and the fact that NorCal is relatively isolated makes it easier to identify under the same umbrella? Maybe they have higher commuting numbers? Really not sure, to be honest. Seems like a pass without a local in-depth explanation.
I'm not sure why that would be such a big deal. I mean if we are being honest, at the end of the what are states really apart from just lines in a map. The only purpose it really serves is that some laws differ here and there (the major one being death penalty, which doesn't really affect most people anyways), but not much are like drastic or anything across state lines.

And even if they were a big deal, you get to have more diversity with laws across the same MSA/CSA, something I would actually consider more of a positive.

So yes, basically I don't get why that would a big deal at all. You are allowed to live anywhere in this country, the name of a state won't hold you back from it.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:05 PM

135 posts, read 175,503 times
Quote:

Those aren't apples-to-apples comparisons..

Thats like comparing New York to Denver. Totally different tiers, and you don't need to be third world or first world either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City