Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 03:44 PM

17 posts, read 17,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
When you look at the Bay Area from space all you see is one continuous glob of development. You cannot differentiate between San Fran and San Jose unless you are an expert on the area.

All the OMB does is look at commuting patterns between counties. If one county has at least 25% of it's workforce commuting into the larger county, then they count that county as part of the larger counties MSA. Then they figure out what the most populated city in the "core" county is, and declare it as the "City X Metropolitan Statistical Area".

The small city of Holland Michigan is in the Grand Rapids-Wyoming MSA. However the civic boundaries for Holland are spread into two separate counties. If you cross 32nd st in Holland you are statistically no longer in the Grand Rapids MSA, you have entered the "Holland Michigan Micropolitan area". Do not tell me these methods used by these "experts" don't have gray area when you can be in a separate statistical area without even leaving a cities borders.

Places like the Inland Empire, and Fairfield county Connecticut have turned into counties that no longer have a certain percentage of their commuters exiting the county. You're kidding yourself if you think they exist in their current forms without the larger behemoth metro's they are divided from.
I never said they do not function as one region. They do.

I am just questioning the argument that only the Bay Area should be exempt from the rules. How about NYC and Brideport? Washington and Baltimore? Los Angleles and Riverside? They are one region, hence the CSA designation, but they don't meet the criteria to be one MSA. It's simple.

They all look like continuous blobs from space. Hell, New York and Washington DC look like one continuous blob from outer space.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 04:14 PM

135 posts, read 176,058 times
There is no city that size in North/South Dakota, per that map.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:18 PM

892 posts, read 1,597,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
Maybe it's the oil fields off gassing?

Old 08-19-2015, 04:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,197,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I say its an insecurity issue....yeah...because in the real world, San Jose has nothing to do with the rest of the Bay Area.
Sarcasm?

Old 08-19-2015, 04:27 PM

5,467 posts, read 5,742,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
Bakken oil field.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:29 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,438,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Maybe it's the oil fields off gassing?
Yep, it's methane flared off from Bakken shale fracking.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:54 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,741,110 times
Ongoing downplaying cities with bad transportation, when they know damn well there not the ones using it.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:01 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,599,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Sarcasm?
Yeah, it is. I'm just saying that this is how locals see their area and it fits their vision of what includes the Bay Area. Just like in the real world, the IE isn't it's own metro any more than OC is its own metro. It's just another part of SoCal to most of us.

I don't think its a conspiracy to boost the place further than it really is except for maybe some posters. It just is what it is.

I think most of the resistance for using the CSA moniker isn't based on someone trying to be objective -- it's based on some weird idea of "putting a city in their place", which is kind of an odd way to look at the world. That's just my impression though.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,184,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkchelsea View Post

I am just questioning the argument that only the Bay Area should be exempt from the rules. How about NYC and Brideport? Washington and Baltimore? Los Angleles and Riverside? They are one region, hence the CSA designation, but they don't meet the criteria to be one MSA. It's simple.

They all look like continuous blobs from space. Hell, New York and Washington DC look like one continuous blob from outer space.
Hey, I can see my house!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:44 PM

574 posts, read 692,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkchelsea View Post

Good gosh, look at the Bos-Wash corridor, especially from NYC to DC. It looks like one giant, dense blob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City