Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Powerful City in the Midwest outside of Chi Det and Min
St Louis 41 35.65%
Indianapolis 15 13.04%
Cleveland 31 26.96%
Milwaukee 6 5.22%
Omaha 4 3.48%
Columbus 4 3.48%
Other? Explain 1 0.87%
Cincinnatti 3 2.61%
Louisville 1 0.87%
Kansas City 9 7.83%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:15 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,940,879 times

Advertisements

Honestly, with all this Cleveland and St. Louis talk, I wonder how many people actually think about these cities...maybe about as often as people in St. Louis and Cleveland think about Milwaukee??? I've never heard of these cities being on anyone's radar in conversation, and I talk to a lot of people. Interesting to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 02:04 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,549,626 times
Agreed that STL "wins" in terms of historical clout. Also agree that this is a close comparison. I just feel like Cleveland has been every-so-slightly more relevant in recent history, and feel that it has greater potential for the future. But again, a very close call for 2 underrated cities.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,963,195 times
People forget that at one time in the not-too-distant past ( late 20th century) Cleveland was one of America's largest cities..

Old 08-19-2015, 02:56 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,549,626 times
Sure, St Louis spent much time as a top population center, as well.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:22 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,667,634 times
St. Louis was a top 10 city from 1850-1960
Cleveland was a top 10 city from 1890-1970

Both have very impressive legacies.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:29 PM

14,748 posts, read 14,737,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Honestly, with all this Cleveland and St. Louis talk, I wonder how many people actually think about these cities...maybe about as often as people in St. Louis and Cleveland think about Milwaukee??? I've never heard of these cities being on anyone's radar in conversation, and I talk to a lot of people. Interesting to think about.
Yeah, outside of the three cities in the title, no Midwestern city has any real "power" outside of its own region.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:58 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,963,195 times
I think that cities like Milwaukee ( and Baltimore) were also Top 10-15 cities in the 20th century, too. America's de-industrialization really changed the population figures all over the country ( especially the Midwest--Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Milwaukee, etc)..

Old 08-19-2015, 04:31 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,483,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Yes, Mayo draws international patients. I didn't see Rochester, MN as an option above. Perhaps there should be a different type of poll with a smaller metro drawing the most international visitors or something similar.

My point being:

#1. If you did not consider Mayo to be an asset to MSP, I am not sure why you brought it into a conversation where you later said it did not belong.

#2. My insinuation from your earlier post was that Cleveland Clinic's ability to draw international patients was some sort of asset or metric by which one could judge the hospital's quality. No such mention was made for Mayo. If you did not intend to contrast the Cleveland Clinic with the Mayo Clinic, then I am still a bit perplexed about why you mentioned Mayo in that same post to begin with?
A hospital to hospital metric is very different and beyond the scope of this thread. However, it may be fairly simple to get international flights from both MSP and Cleveland. Unfortunstely, that wouldn't be a true metric either as sometimes it's more cost effective to fly to a different airport and drive.

Do I think Cleveland Clinic increases economic activity in Cleveland, from visitors from other countries? Absolutely.

I know my experience seeing Mayo, but I have never asked or looked to see if any flights go to Rochester from any other city but MSP.

My reason for introducing Mayo when and how I did is usually these two medical centers, along with Johns Hopkins in B'more, Mass General and a couple that rotate the honor in NYC are rated the best medical facilities in the U.S. My intended point in my original mention about Cleveland Clinic is many don't realize how often it is rated in the top four hospitals in the U.S. Subsequently, many don't realize how many patients are sent there instead of Mayo from the west coast of the US and the core EU countries. There was no disrespect intended for MSP or Mayo. I'm saying Cleveland Clinic does draw patients from around the world. What other reason would they have built a hospital in Dubai?

I don't know that I can explain this in any other way, which is easier to understand. I'm open to help from other posters........

MSR

Old 08-19-2015, 04:37 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,483,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I think a lot has to do with where one lives or has lived and looking at different segments of a city's economy, instead of just the usual things.

MSR

Old 08-19-2015, 04:51 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,107,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
A hospital to hospital metric is very different and beyond the scope of this thread. However, it may be fairly simple to get international flights from both MSP and Cleveland. Unfortunstely, that wouldn't be a true metric either as sometimes it's more cost effective to fly to a different airport and drive.

Do I think Cleveland Clinic increases economic activity in Cleveland, from visitors from other countries? Absolutely.

I know my experience seeing Mayo, but I have never asked or looked to see if any flights go to Rochester from any other city but MSP.

My reason for introducing Mayo when and how I did is usually these two medical centers, along with Johns Hopkins in B'more, Mass General and a couple that rotate the honor in NYC are rated the best medical facilities in the U.S. My intended point in my original mention about Cleveland Clinic is many don't realize how often it is rated in the top four hospitals in the U.S. Subsequently, many don't realize how many patients are sent there instead of Mayo from the west coast of the US and the core EU countries. There was no disrespect intended for MSP or Mayo. I'm saying Cleveland Clinic does draw patients from around the world. What other reason would they have built a hospital in Dubai?

I don't know that I can explain this in any other way, which is easier to understand. I'm open to help from other posters........

MSR
It seems entirely irrelevant to introduce Mayo, then. It does not seem to do anything in particular to prove your point.

Your point is about Cleveland Clinic, not Mayo. So why even bring it up?

You can't do a "compare and contrast" and then complain when the compare and contrast is logically extended into a larger debate. That's eating your cake and having it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City