Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:53 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,409,793 times

Advertisements

I see LA as more prestigious but SF as the more important metro/CSA.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:58 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,646,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's a good point. Who, for example, has the more "prestigious" position in American society?

Beyonce Knowles or Janet Yellen?

Kim Kardashian or Nancy Pelosi?

Donald Trump or John Kerry?

Money and fame aren't necessarily the same as prestige. Being the richest and most famous Reality TV star in history is not the same thing as being the deciding vote on the Supreme Court.
Meh. The idea that LA is nothing but reality TV stars is a trope recycled to the point of absurdity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...om_Los_Angeles

Sure there are plenty of actors, directors, producers, musicians, models and comics on that list, but there are also plenty of authors, politicians, journalists, publishers and business leaders.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:01 PM

574 posts, read 691,144 times
Quote:
That's a good point. Who, for example, has the more "prestigious" position in American society?

Beyonce Knowles or Janet Yellen?

Kim Kardashian or Nancy Pelosi?

Donald Trump or John Kerry?

Money and fame aren't necessarily the same as prestige. Being the richest and most famous Reality TV star in history is not the same thing as being the deciding vote on the Supreme Court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Prestige does not automatically equal wealth. While they're often linked closely, it's not a given. Wealthy people/cities aren't always prestigious, and prestigious people/cities aren't always wealthy. Vatican City isn't particularly wealthy, but a strong argument can be made that it's the most prestigious state in the world.

As usual, any thread featuring "San Francisco " and Montclair has devolved into a "who has richer billionaires?" shouting match. It's comical, at this point. In the words of the great LL Cool J, "Man made the money, money never made the man." Wealth is just one aspect of prestige. For the sake of this thread, let's start talking about the others.
So that gives DC a dog in this fight. The president is the most prestigious position in this country, along with other government jobs. It has the government buildings and museums.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:05 PM

36,667 posts, read 67,622,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Meh. The idea that LA is nothing but reality TV stars is a trope recycled to the point of absurdity.

Sure there are plenty of actors, directors, producers, musicians, models and comics on that list, but there are also plenty of authors, politicians, journalists, publishers and business leaders.
Dont worry about that. SF is taking media away from you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times
March 25, 2015

The notion that HBO has left it's heart in San Francisco is no accident...

...The center of gravity in media has been shifting to San Francisco and Silicon Valley. And HBO's attention to the tech hub underscores the importance of branching beyond the traditional home base of New York and Hollywood as it strives to keep its television kingdom relevant in the digital era...
Any disputes can be forwarded to the Los Angeles Times.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:06 PM

32,136 posts, read 34,801,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

I didn't say LA is "nothing but reality TV stars." I said that money and fame aren't necessarily the same thing as prestige.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to put DC on the top of my list due to it being the home of some our most prominent institutions. Then I'd say San Francisco, Los Angeles, and then Chicago.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:07 PM

36,667 posts, read 67,622,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee
The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is headquartered in San Francisco. The 9th is the third most prestigious circuit after the 2nd (NY, NJ, CT) and the D.C. Circuit.

San Francisco also has a Federal Reserve Bank (Los Angeles has a branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco). This is the second most important bank after the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
This is wayyyyy to smart for this bunch.

If it's not on TMZ, they wont get it.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:08 PM

41 posts, read 42,407 times
PRESTIGIOUS: inspiring respect and admiration; having high status.

What evidence is there that San Francisco has higher status than Los Angeles?

There is none. Having a better job market doesn't mean it's more prestigious. Dallas has a better job market than Washington, DC, at the moment. It's not more prestigious than Washington, DC.

San Francisco isn't even looked at as a model city.

The most influential cities in the country, according to mayors - The Washington Post

If San Francisco had higher status, then these numbers below would be different:

Locations of homes priced $10 million and above, 2015
Manhattan: 612
The Hamptons: 253
Los Angeles County: 198
Miami: 192
Greenwich:45
Aspen: 42
Naples: 37
Palm Beach: 28
Dallas: 20
Westchester County: 19
Honolulu: 19
Marin County: 17
Santa Clara County: 16
Atherton: 12
Brooklyn: 10
La Jolla: 10
San Francisco: 9
Santa Barbara: 9
Atlanta: 9
Newport Beach: 6
Houston: 6
Washington, DC: 6

Does San Francisco have the better job market at the moment? Yes. Is it more prestigious and does it have higher status? Absolutely not.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:09 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,187,739 times
Quote:
I didn't say LA is "nothing but reality TV stars." I said that money and fame aren't necessarily the same thing as prestige.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to put DC on the top of my list due to it being the home of some our most prominent institutions. Then I'd say San Francisco, Los Angeles, and then Chicago.
This guy's getting it!

Old 08-26-2015, 02:10 PM

32,136 posts, read 34,801,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
So that gives DC a dog in this fight. The president is the most prestigious position in this country, along with other government jobs. It has the government buildings and museums.
I agree. I really think it's a toss up between DC and SF. DC has the more important institutions, SF has more of a global brand, more wealth, more economic prowess and innovation, and has quite a few institutions that are nothing to sneeze at. As I said earlier, the Ninth Circuit is the most respected federal circuit outside of DC/NYC, and that's based in SF.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,187,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is wayyyyy to smart for this bunch.

If it's not on TMZ, they wont get it.
And what do those institutions have over D.C.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City