U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most influential city of the 20th century?
Los Angeles 18 11.61%
San Francisco 7 4.52%
Dallas 2 1.29%
Boston 2 1.29%
New york city 65 41.94%
Philadelphia 3 1.94%
Washington D.C. 14 9.03%
Chicago 8 5.16%
Detroit 8 5.16%
Cleveland 1 0.65%
Houston 10 6.45%
Seattle 5 3.23%
Memphis 0 0%
Baltimore 2 1.29%
Pittsburgh 3 1.94%
Nashville 1 0.65%
Birmingham 2 1.29%
Memphis 0 0%
St. louis 4 2.58%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:42 PM

699 posts, read 2,090,982 times

Advertisements

I don't know, a century is a longggggggg time, especially the 20th one, in which changes were taking place at a more rapid pace than previously before.

Maybe you should do most influential city of each decade? 1990's, 1980's, 1970's, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 03:21 PM

15,068 posts, read 27,728,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i had no idea saying the word "houston" on the moon meant it was the most influential city in the 20th century
So space exploration, acheived first in the 20th century by mankind, means little? And it's not just the word "Houston." They were not referring to Whitney Houston or Houston, Missouri.

Quote:
oh, so all of our oil comes from Houston? another thing i didn't know!
In a roundabout way, yes. Much of the oil that enters the US enters the Port of Houston.

Quote:
i can't see how Houston is very influential. i have a feeling a lot of those Houston Votes are from very biased people for some odd reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81
I don't think Houston was more influential than NYC or LA (mainly because of Hollywood), but don't be so surprised to see it getting some votes.
Looks like one of those "biased" people wasn't me. I voted for NYC.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:32 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,780,285 times
Quote:
So space exploration, acheived first in the 20th century by mankind, means little? And it's not just the word "Houston." They were not referring to Whitney Houston or Houston, Missouri.
What about cape Canaveral? is Houston the one responsible for space exploration in the world? What about Russia, who got to space before the US?

Quote:
In a roundabout way, yes. Much of the oil that enters the US enters the Port of Houston.
so? does that make it influential?

and i never said you voted for it. i was speaking generally, not at you.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:35 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,883,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
I went with Detroit because of the automakers and industry. I think any industrial city would suffice though, I mean they are responsible for making this an industrial nation right?
That's what came to my mind too. Detroit is the butt of a lot of jokes nowadays, but there is no denying that it was the cradle of the automobile industry -- an industry that revolutionized personal transportation throughout the world in the 20th century.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
What about cape Canaveral? is Houston the one responsible for space exploration in the world? What about Russia, who got to space before the US?
Cape Canaveral isn't on the list. Mission Control is in Houston. Without them, the space shuttle doesn't get off the ground.

Russia is not in the US, and most of the former USSR's space facilities are in what is now Kazakhstan anyway (Baikonur)

Quote:
so? does that make it influential?
Influential enough to pull a handful of votes from NYC or LA.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:28 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,810,291 times
In the 18th Century is Philadelphia.

Early 19th Century is New York until it was eclipsed by the rise of Chicago after the Civil War.

In the first half of the 20th Century, it was L.A. The second half is Las Vegas. The city(-ies) of the 21st Century are still competing.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:34 PM

And two more votes for Houston....that's five now that didn't come from me.

Even more than I'm surprised to see this many votes for Houston, I'm a little surprised by how little is thought of Chicago though. Before jumbo jets that took you across the country, that was an integral transportation hub in the early 20th century that also had a major influence on the national agriculture and food sector (e.g. meat packing). Then when cable came around, WGN made the Chicago media market a nationwide one much as Ted Turner did with his TBS/CNN empire in Atlanta. (The latter is reason enough to at least have ATL on the list...)

Old 02-16-2008, 10:53 PM

12,548 posts, read 35,038,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
And two more votes for Houston....that's five now that didn't come from me.

Even more than I'm surprised to see this many votes for Houston, I'm a little surprised by how little is thought of Chicago though. Before jumbo jets that took you across the country, that was an integral transportation hub in the early 20th century that also had a major influence on the national agriculture and food sector (e.g. meat packing). Then when cable came around, WGN made the Chicago media market a nationwide one much as Ted Turner did with his TBS/CNN empire in Atlanta. (The latter is reason enough to at least have ATL on the list...)
That's true, Ted Turner ("The Mouth of the South") is the one who started the superstation trend when he bought struggling WTCG in Atlanta and made it the country's first superstation (long before Chicago's WGN copied him), largely so he could broadcast Braves baseball which he had just bought.

Atlanta also gave us Coca-Cola, arguably the most recognized trademark in the world. And Home Depot, which has radically changed how Americans do home improvement projects.

But my question is, why is Memphis listed twice? Does that mean each vote for Memphis is counted twice? Besides the blues and rock & roll, Memphis also gave us: self-serve supermarkets (Piggly Wiggly), roadside motels (Holiday Inn), overnight package delivery (FedEx), and sunscreen lotion (Coppertone).

Old 02-16-2008, 11:01 PM

Maybe we can re-designate the second Memphis "Atlanta."

Old 02-17-2008, 10:22 AM

3,521 posts, read 8,494,280 times
I agree with the idea that Chicago would be the city of the second half of the 19th century - more than any other city, the railroad industry made Chicago the major city it became in the late 1800's and still is today.

I also agree with Philadelphia being the city of the 18th century (or at least the second half of that century; Boston would probably be the city for the first half) and New York being the city of the first half of the 19th century.

In the 20th century, I voted for Los Angeles. Unlike places like Atlanta, Dallas, or yes Houston, LA's importance and clout covers the whole century (or at least most of the century), not just the second half of the century. Also, although it was the automobile industry (i.e. Detroit) that was arguably the single-biggest influence over U.S. life in the 20th century, it was the car-friendly idyllic, surburban lifestyle represented by southern California and Los Angeles that many, many people aspired to for much of the 20th century.

One could also argue for Washington as the most influencial city in the 20th century, just due to the growth in the size of government. Actually, DC is probably the early leader in the 21st century.

Last edited by CHIP72; 02-17-2008 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City