U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most influential city of the 20th century?
Los Angeles 18 11.61%
San Francisco 7 4.52%
Dallas 2 1.29%
Boston 2 1.29%
New york city 65 41.94%
Philadelphia 3 1.94%
Washington D.C. 14 9.03%
Chicago 8 5.16%
Detroit 8 5.16%
Cleveland 1 0.65%
Houston 10 6.45%
Seattle 5 3.23%
Memphis 0 0%
Baltimore 2 1.29%
Pittsburgh 3 1.94%
Nashville 1 0.65%
Birmingham 2 1.29%
Memphis 0 0%
St. louis 4 2.58%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:44 PM

905 posts, read 2,678,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I would Put DC first, NYC 2nd, and LA tried and keep everything else the same.
The 20th century was dominated by the cold war, that or world war I or II...last time I checked the President doesn't ask congress to declare war in NYC.
NYC was undoubtedly influential, but once again I don't think NYC holds 2 representatives from each state in one building, or hundreds of representatives from all over the country.
I also see more protests in DC, where most large political decisions are made. Their daily protests in DC, when I went I must have seen at least 3 and I stayed for a weak. they weren't huge protests, but none the less.
Nothing against NYC, you guys win everything anyways...
I was thinking of putting DC higher, and if the question were "importance," I probably would (though still slightly below NY). However, while decisions made in DC are undoubtedly very influential, its influence is a) limited to the realm of government, and b) predicated upon everywhere else. Cultural and social trends do not start in DC. Its not much of a media capital, aside from the obvious political media. I tend to think of a city's "influence" in terms larger than simply "how does what happen there impact everywhere else?" I think you also have to look at the place the city holds in our national imagination, and that of the world. You have to consider if the city is an incubator for social and cultural trends and ideas. While DC is some of these things, nearly all that is is somehow related to the federal government, and most of the what the federal government does actually originated somewhere else (be it an idea that was first tested in a college, or at the state level, or the plain fact that representatives are from elsewehre). NYC and LA occupy hugely prominent places in the national and international imagination, in addition to their importance as centers of media, business, etc. When people all over the world think of "American cities," usually the first place that comes to mind is NYC, followed by LA. Aside from their importance to the likes of media and business, NYC and LA have cultural and social meanings that DC could never attain.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,807,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
even I, a proud houstonian had to laugh at our number of votes. it's a great city of course, but in no way possible was it even close to being the most influential city of the 20th century. houston, texas is its own little world and half the time couldn't give a damn about the rest of the country
Wrong century. Houston is the city of the 21st Century.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:28 PM

6,153 posts, read 14,806,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
First half, Detroit. Second half ... I was looking for Atlanta, but Houston will do.
Atlanta Sure, it was important in its region in the 20th century, but Most Influential"??

Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,903,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Wrong century. Houston is the city of the 21st Century.
we'll see, it only been what fresh off of 8 year of the 21st century...SoCal is filling up so there probably is a bright future for Houston, Atlanta, DFW, San Antonio, Austin, St.Louis, OKC, and whatnot...

Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 PM

369 posts, read 1,544,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Atlanta Sure, it was important in its region in the 20th century, but Most Influential"??
The same could be said for many of the choices. St. Louis, Nashville...Birmingham?

Old 03-08-2008, 11:03 AM

6,153 posts, read 14,806,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
The same could be said for many of the choices. St. Louis, Nashville...Birmingham?
I agree! (But if we were talking 19th century, I might go with St. Louis )

Old 03-08-2008, 01:37 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,807,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
SoCal is filling up
I always wondered when the L.A. Basin finally filled up. Now it's a matter of waiting for the valley between San Bernardino and Temecula to fill up to finish off the L.A. area.

I wonder how long will it take for Houston to do the same?

Old 03-08-2008, 07:22 PM

369 posts, read 1,544,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I always wondered when the L.A. Basin finally filled up. Now it's a matter of waiting for the valley between San Bernardino and Temecula to fill up to finish off the L.A. area.

I wonder how long will it take for Houston to do the same?
You've got a wait ahead of you. Houston has alot of wilderness to destroy to its north and west before it's finally satisfied

Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 AM

23 posts, read 43,208 times
NOT EVEN CLOSE! SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA!

the most liberal city in the world
we jump started the 1960's
summer of love
hippy culture
haight and ashbury
oaklan'd black panther party
hells angels
the "san francisco sound" pretty much gave birth to modern music
castro's gay community
greatful dead
UC berkeley
sillicon valley
google
yahoo
ebay
amazon.com
youtube
cnet
HP
cisco
levis jeans
gap inc
rice o roni the san francisco treat

some of the nation's most influential atheletes and entertainers come from here

tom hanks
clint eastwood
george lucas
tupac shakur
bill russell
joe dimaggio
frank robinson
oj simpson
rickey henderson
lynn swan
joe morgan
dennis eckersley
pete carroll
bill walsh
john madden
dan fouts

NEW YORK? PLEASE! LA? PLEASE! WHAT HAVE THEY INFLUENCE ON US OTHER THAN ENTERTAINMENT.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:09 PM

180 posts, read 360,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halea41 View Post
NOT EVEN CLOSE! SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA!

the most liberal city in the world
we jump started the 1960's
summer of love
hippy culture
haight and ashbury
oaklan'd black panther party
hells angels
the "san francisco sound" pretty much gave birth to modern music
castro's gay community
greatful dead
UC berkeley
sillicon valley
google
yahoo
ebay
amazon.com
youtube
cnet
HP
cisco
levis jeans
gap inc
rice o roni the san francisco treat

some of the nation's most influential atheletes and entertainers come from here

tom hanks
clint eastwood
george lucas
tupac shakur
bill russell
joe dimaggio
frank robinson
oj simpson
rickey henderson
lynn swan
joe morgan
dennis eckersley
pete carroll
bill walsh
john madden
dan fouts

NEW YORK? PLEASE! LA? PLEASE! WHAT HAVE THEY INFLUENCE ON US OTHER THAN ENTERTAINMENT.
are you kidding? all those companies that you named would absolutely collapse if wall street failed. look at 9/11, the entire united states came to a halt when it happened. new york city is no doubt the most influential city in the united states, if not the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City