Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is San Juan, Puerto Rico the most underrepresented/under-the-radar major city in the United States (
Yes 49 72.06%
No 19 27.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 05:24 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times

Advertisements

I've been to the island, but only once about 10 years ago, and then only for a day.

Most comparable US city? Has to be New Orleans, though of course with demographics most similar to Miami.

Comparison to US cities:
Culinary Scene: Well, I'm going to guess that it is perhaps not having the mix up of ethnic places, and maybe not as many "trendy" places as US cities by comparison. That said, likely a Top 10 City in the US for foodie scene just based on how outstanding I know many local Puerto Rican dishes can be. Plenty of great options. One can eat very well there.

Nightlife: I haven't personally partaken in Puerto Rican nightlife, but I can imagine it would be at very least fun/distinctive from most US cities, and it has no last call. So, that is a strong suit there, though I believe there is no on street drinking, which some US cities do have. With that said though, that, along with PR being a global HQ for Rum (Bacardi), has to put it in the Top 10 at least. Maybe not tops because some cities have more diverse nightlife scenes, but up there.

Architecture: This one is complex, because I suppose it would depend on what type one is referring to. But, simply talking it's historical architecture, and highrise properties in and near the city? I think it fares pretty well. From a historical standpoint we're talking 2nd oldest cathedral in the Americas, and some of the Americas most significant forts, for starters.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...7!4d-66.118003. Along with perhaps rivaling a handful of cities in the states for the most structures built prior to 1700 or so.

Here is a list of some more outstanding structures: https://duranvirginia.wordpress.com/...-architecture/

I don't know if it has as many high rises as a number of mid-sized US cities, though that could be due to a zoning code or aesthetic standpoint, but I agree, the skyline still doesn't look half bad and is certainly more structurally dense than a number of comparably sized US cities. All things considered, this combination would at least put San Juan fringe top 10 in terms of architecture among US cities.

History and Historical Sites: I'm not sure if it makes Top 10 on historical significance, or number of sights, but on impressiveness to visitors of the historic sights, and general historical aesthetic? Certainly Top 10, in fact could very well crack Top 5 on that last one. So, overall, it's well ahead of most US cities, major or otherwise, in that regard.

Sports Culture/Following/Facilities/Traditions: It's going to be well behind the pack on the venues/teams aspect. But as Puerto Ricans can generally be quite passionate about things, following/culture is certainly going to be up there. I haven't been to any events, but whenever I do go, experiencing a baseball game at the Estadio Hiram Bithorn is high on my list as I'm sure the atmosphere is epic. Of course, there aren't really major professional teams apart from PR League teams on the island, but facilities are perhaps at the lower end for what a mid-size city should have. So, it's not high on my list for that, but at the same time, it is because I want to experience PR baseball culture firsthand.

Festivals/Parades: https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...FEJgvU#imgrc=_

...I'll just leave that top part here. It would be difficult for all but maybe 2-3 US cities to match here.

Vegetation: Unfortunately, this one is a sensitive one at this point in time. A main cog in the economy and obviously more impressive than most places in the state, however, the agriculture industry was hurt significantly by the hurricane. I suppose the hope is that the economy will reinvent/adapt, and improve as a result.

Location: Subjective, and thus difficult to rate. On one hand, at the Center of the Caribbean, closer to the rest of Latin America, on an island surrounded by beaches and mountains, not half bad. On the other, in a way quite isolated, though I suppose Santo Domingo is quite close. Those two need to partner/collaborate more moving forward.

Economics: The per capita metrics are going to compare poorly to most places in the US, and right now, the economy is in need of stimulation and realigning towards the 21st century/whatever it's niche may be. That said, there is some opportunity there, and it fares well compared to a good number of Latin American counterparts. Hopefully it can attempt to become like a Hong Kong of the Caribbean, moving forward.

Languages: Not quite certain what is meant on this one. Different languages spoken maybe? By it's very nature of being primarily Spanish speaking yet having a good number of English speakers it will feel more exotic than a good number of US cities, but it is likely less diverse in terms of immigrants than most mid size US cities even.

Topography: Obviously, it has to be one of the most naturally scenic cities/regions within the United States. It has 4,390 feet of variation within 50 miles, which places it in the Top 10 of major US cities to start with. Combine that with the fact it has a Tropical Rainforest (El Yunque), and significant stunning and varied coastline, geologic features within that stretch? Almost certainly Top 5 in that regard within the US, and could be on the fringe of Top 10 in world among relatively major cities, depending on ones tastes.

Climate: This one is subjective, and I'm not particularly a fan of the fact that it seems like it would constantly be summer there. That said, I could see where many would be, and the nice thing about PR for someone like me is it is decently cooler and relatively comfortable year round up in the mountains it appears, and those are quite close at hand.

Density: 8,253 PSQM, with 5 CDPs among the 70 densest in the United States. So, most likely Top 10 in that regard, esp. considering the presence of traditional urbanity at it's core.

Infrastructure: Hard to really measure, and I don't know enough about the city/island to feel comfortable describing/comparing.

With all that said, I think you could be right about that, but I think the problem is most posters on here/Americans in general just don't think of San Juan/Puerto Rico as being a part of the US.

Overall, would I live there right now? No, especially not with the aftermath of the storm.

But where does it rank among American cities for offering visitors a place with impressive man made, and natural features? I think one would be hard pressed to keep it out of the Top 10, and it could be fringe Top 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 05:45 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
San Juan really wasn’t that impressive, to me. Old San Juan is pretty, but sort of dull. Conando photographs well, but is much less impressive, on the ground. I agree with the poster, above, who said New Orleans is the closest analogue, but San Juan lacks NOLA’s magic. Even the beaches are sub-par. You’d be hard-pressed to find it worse beach in the Caribbean. In terms of urban beaches, Miami blows it away.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:54 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Funny they say the same thing about Miami and I don't think the language issue is what is setting it back.
Puerto Rico is actually part of Latin America, Miami is not. Pretty much everyome born in Miami speaks English by the time they're 5 years old if not earlier.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I'm intrigued to know Puerto Rico.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:15 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Yes.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:49 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Having been now twice effectively in the past year or so-yeah you guys need to get there.

It’s maybe not quite as vibrant as one would expect a Latin capital to be though perhaps I was looking in the wrong places.

But it really is a drop dead gorgeous city/region.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm intrigued to know Puerto Rico.
I will be there in exactly two weeks, and surely I'll have some direct input here.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:36 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
100% San Juan is overlooked. Mainly because it isn't part of the mainland, it isn't in one of the 50 states, and it isn't Anglicized. Population has actually dropped quite a bit since this thread was started, and I would 100% say it is way more intriguing than metros of its size (Columbus, Cleveland, Indy, San Jose). Economically, San Juan certainly struggles immensely compared to those peers, but for a place to visit it is heads and shoulders above.

But what about as a place to live? Would I choose to live there? Considering I do not depend on local employment, my answer is actually yes. I do not know enough about the crime situation there to say for sure, but I believe there are a handful of neighborhoods in the San Juan metro where I would feel safe and secure with my family, and the interesting culture, nice weather, unique learning opportunities, etc are enough to sway me over the other places listed. If I needed a job though...then no. I'd probably choose any of the other four mentioned above.

There are tax incentives to lure wealthier people and startups to the area, and enough to offer them that they're willing to stay. So it could depend very much on your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I will be there in exactly two weeks, and surely I'll have some direct input here.
As with basically all places currently, I'm pretty sure current experiences will not adequately represent pre-covid times.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:03 PM

503 posts, read 800,677 times
Very, especially for how large it is. Even the large Canadian cities get more talk

Old 08-04-2020, 08:09 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
We've always enjoyed Puerto Rico.

But the island has a long history of graft & corruption. Money supposed to go into infrastructure doesn't seem to be spent, especially on roads.

They've done a horrible job building any sort of manufacturing economy. If they didn't have a couple of million citizens living on the mainland, the place would be in more trouble economically.

It's nice traveling so far and still using the U.S. currency. It's also nice to see familiar chain restaurants and CVS/Walgreens operates exactly like they do on the mainland.

I get a kick seeing one family raising their kids speaking NewYorican/Spanglish. Others are raising their kids English. Why cannot every Puerto Rican speak perfect English if they're look at Miami television nightly? They teach it in school.

With the perfect weather and a vey beautiful island, Puerto Rico should have a much, much better tourist economy. Without cruise ships, they will have a big downturn in travelers in the future. Things don't look good down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City