Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: L.A. Mexicans or Miami Cubans more powerful?
Mexicans in Los Angeles 68 30.63%
Cubans in Miami 135 60.81%
They're on equal footing 19 8.56%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 02:01 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,623,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It mirrors African-American music but has Jamaican influence as well (the dembow beat). It has nothing in common with traditional Mexican music.
Right, because a genre that originated in Puerto Rico is supposed to have Mexican influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 02:04 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,606,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Right, because a genre that originated in Puerto Rico is supposed to have Mexican influence.
My point is that it's a genre that revolves around African-American music. Both the music itself and the fashion of the reggaetoneros.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
My point is that it's a genre that revolves around African-American music. Both the music itself and the fashion of the reggaetoneros.
And your point is wrong. We are talking about Mexico, not Puerto Rico here regardless and I wonder someone that claims to be Ecuadorian would get those confused but whatever. Anyway, Both reggaeton and hip hop’s beats originated in Jamaica. Does that make them both Jamaican genres? No it doesn’t. Jamaican influenced, yes but not Jamaican genres. But this is the reason for the similarities in the genres. Over time, they have influenced eachother (both ways). Reggaeton and Hip Hop were developed around the same time. Neither genre copied neither. Their similarities are based on common origins.

I’m honestly having a hard time figuring out if you’re trolling or not. Especially after saying a Puerto Rican gwnrw has no traditional Mexican influence as an argument for why it’s not a Latin American genre.

Hey maybe your right that African Amwrican have a stronger impact on LA than Mexicans do. I’m honestly on the fence about it (it could go either way for me). But instead of making these wild claims and bringing up genres like reggaeton that have nothing to do with Mexico, stick to the basics. Let me help you out here. Traditional Mexican music is still popular and still sounds like it’s traditional roots, but it’s not as popular as LA’s hip hop. Use that as your argument. Don’t bring up a caribbwan country and say “their music sounds similar to hip hop so Mexicans artists are sounding like African American genres are”. You rarely ever even see any popular Mexican reggaeton artists even if reggaeton were an African American genre which isn’t the case.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
And your point is wrong. Both reggaeton and hip hop’s beats originated in Jamaica. Does that make them both Jamaican genres? No it doesn’t. Jamaican influenced, yes but not Jamaican genres. But this is the reason for the similarities in the genres. Over time, they have influenced eachother (both ways). Reggaeton and Hip Hop were developed around the same time. Neither genre copied neither. Their similarities are based on common origins.

I’m honestly having a hard time figuring out if you’re trolling or not. Especially after saying a Puerto Rican gwnrw has no traditional Mexican influence as an argument for why it’s not a Latin American genre.

Hey maybe your right that African Amwrican have a stronger impact on LA than Mexicans do. I’m honestly on the fence about it (it could go either way for me). But instead of making these wild claims and bringing up genres like reggaeton that have nothing to do with Mexico, stick to the basics. Let me help you out here. Traditional Mexican music is still popular and still sounds like it’s traditional roots, but it’s not as popular as LA’s hip hop. Use that as your argument. Don’t bring up a caribbwan country and say “their music sounds similar to hip hop so Mexicans artists are sounding like African American genres are”. You rarely ever even see any popular Mexican reggaeton artists even if reggaeton were an African American genre which isn’t the case.
I'll keep it this simple: the artists from LA who are widely popular in 2020 are mostly black, with a couple of Hispanics doing rap which is a black genre.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I'll keep it this simple: the artists from LA who are widely popular in 2020 are mostly black, with a couple of Hispanics doing rap which is a black genre.
And that’s fair. My questioning was when you brought Puerto Rico and reggaeton. That’s the equivalent of comparing Vietnamese and Japanese.

Personally, I don’t know any hispanic LA hip hop artists while i know a lot of LA Mexican corridos artists, so I don’t think this is true. However, LA’s hip hop is far more popular in a nationwide and global level than corridos are, so I definitely think LA’s African American music is more influential in pop culture.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
And that’s fair. My questioning was when you brought Puerto Rico and reggaeton. That’s the equivalent of comparing Vietnamese and Japanese.

Personally, I don’t know any hispanic LA hip hop artists while i know a lot of LA Mexican corridos artists, so I don’t think this is true. However, LA’s hip hop is far more popular in a nationwide and global level than corridos are, so I definitely think LA’s African American music is more influential in pop culture.
I only brought up reggaeton because I was stating that Becky G is a rapper and reggaeton artist rather than one who makes traditional Mexican music.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I only brought up reggaeton because I was stating that Becky G is a rapper and reggaeton artist rather than one who makes traditional Mexican music.
So you’re going to compare one artist to a long ongoing legacy that’s sided else where? And being that she’s Mexican and making both African American and Caribbean hispanic music, in neither of these situations is she sticking to her ethnicity.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:41 PM

Now that we got that out the way, here’s where I stand in that debate for LA. As mentioned, I’m on the fence because I see good points for both sides.

LA is the single most influential city in popularizing tacos in America and it’s not debatable. Which has turned into one of the most popular food items in America (up there with pizza, burgers and hot dogs). So it’s a big deal. Beyond that, overall, Cali Mex food is the most well known food staple in California, which going beyond tacos, LA along with other California cities are important players in.

Musically, the African American music in LA is far more popular than the Mexican American music in LA that’s not debatable. LA Corridos are big but have a hard time getting popularity outside it’s own community. Even within the Latin American community, it rarely goes beyond Mexico and northern Central America. It’s reasons like this that artists like Becky G have to make other forms of Hispanic music instead a of Mexican music, it just struggles to catch on.

Many celebrities from both Mexican and African American origin have came out so this one is a tie.

Street wear and car culture and so forth is also heavily influenced by both ethnicities, so this one is also a tie for me.

That’s how I stand on LA specifically’s cultural influences.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:50 PM

8,357 posts, read 5,521,256 times
The subject of this thread was regarding power, not pop culture influence. While there is some overlap, there is no question as to which group has the most power in the running of Los Angeles and its Mexicans. There are a lot more of them in positions of power in LA and they run almost everything there. They also influence the culture of the city a lot more. 30 years ago in the time of Tom Bradley, it was closer.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Now that we got that out the way, here’s where I stand in that debate for LA. As mentioned, I’m on the fence because I see good points for both sides.

LA is the single most influential city in popularizing tacos in America and it’s not debatable. Which has turned into one of the most popular food items in America (up there with pizza, burgers and hot dogs). So it’s a big deal. Beyond that, overall, Cali Mex food is the most well known food staple in California, which going beyond tacos, LA along with other California cities are important players in.

Musically, the African American music in LA is far more popular than the Mexican American music in LA that’s not debatable. LA Corridos are big but have a hard time getting popularity outside it’s own community. Even within the Latin American community, it rarely goes beyond Mexico and northern Central America. It’s reasons like this that artists like Becky G have to make other forms of Hispanic music instead a of Mexican music, it just struggles to catch on.

Many celebrities from both Mexican and African American origin have came out so this one is a tie.

Street wear and car culture and so forth is also heavily influenced by both ethnicities, so this one is also a tie for me.

That’s how I stand on LA specifically’s cultural influences.
The streetwear of modern LA is mostly black influenced. Does anyone under 30 still have that Cholo look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City