Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: L.A. Mexicans or Miami Cubans more powerful?
Mexicans in Los Angeles 68 30.63%
Cubans in Miami 135 60.81%
They're on equal footing 19 8.56%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 07:06 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,613,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This is true Puerto Rico does dominate hispanic pop culture so among us who grew up on a reggaeton and bachata heavy generation it has rubbed off on us. I’ll definitely give you that one. But I want to point out reggaeton didn’t get its culture from hip hop. Being an African country is where the similarities come in. Over time, the similarities have allowed cross pollination to take place. That’s why latin trap came out, why you see hip hop groups like Cardi B and Will.I.Am, Lauryn Hill wtc doing reggaeton songs and the cross pollination in fashion. That’s not a new thing. Similarities have been there for nearly a century
While reggaeton definitely has its roots in black music, its popularity isn't even about Afro Latinos anymore since it's the dominant form of music in every Spanish speaking country (well maybe not Equatorial Guinea, I'm not sure about that one).

The reggaeton stars today (other than Ozuna and Sech) are all non-Afro Latinos and many aren't even Caribbean. J Balvin, Karol G, and Maluma are white or mestizo Colombians.

Though I do think that reggaeton (at least the current batch of artists) are heavily influenced by hip hop culture. Just look at how Anuel AA and Karol G dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 07:25 PM

9,935 posts, read 6,651,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
While reggaeton definitely has its roots in black music, its popularity isn't even about Afro Latinos anymore since it's the dominant form of music in every Spanish speaking country (well maybe not Equatorial Guinea, I'm not sure about that one).

The reggaeton stars today (other than Ozuna and Sech) are all non-Afro Latinos and many aren't even Caribbean. J Balvin, Karol G, and Maluma are white or mestizo Colombians.

Though I do think that reggaeton (at least the current batch of artists) are heavily influenced by hip hop culture. Just look at how Anuel AA and Karol G dress.
It wasn’t that way in the origins either. All of Puerto Rico is African influenced. Reggaeton isn’t an Afro Puerto Rican gwnrw. It’s a Puerto Rican genre. Puerto Rico as a whole is African influenced. I really don’t understand your point on “modern reggaeton artists except... aren’t Afro Latino”. I’m the beginnings of reggaeton it was diverse too. Yes, USA is segregated in its music genres, but Puerto Rico much less .

Back to your relations to hip hop and reggaeton fashion, this was always the case. Even in the 80s. I know you’re not Puerto Rican and it’s hard to understand some things that Puerto Rico has that where you’re from doesn’t have, but that’s how it is. You seem to be a bit close minded on places you haven’t been being different.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It wasn’t that way in the origins either. All of Puerto Rico is African influenced. Reggaeton isn’t an Afro Puerto Rican gwnrw. It’s a Puerto Rican genre. Puerto Rico as a whole is African influenced. I really don’t understand your point on “modern reggaeton artists except... aren’t Afro Latino”. I’m the beginnings of reggaeton it was diverse too. Yes, USA is segregated in its music genres, but Puerto Rico much less .

Back to your relations to hip hop and reggaeton fashion, this was always the case. Even in the 80s. I know you’re not Puerto Rican and it’s hard to understand some things that Puerto Rico has that where you’re from doesn’t have, but that’s how it is. You seem to be a bit close minded on places you haven’t been being different.
I never said reggaeton fashion wasn't hip hop influenced back in the day.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I never said reggaeton fashion wasn't hip hop influenced back in the day.
I know you didn’t. I am saying that. Hip hop fashion and reggaeton fashion both got their origin from a common style that came up in Jamaica. Just like the genres are. Hence the similarities. Cross pollination is common whwn similar genres form. As seen both from hip hop to reggaeton and reggaeton to hip hop

Why Mexican music doesn’t cross pollinate with hip hop as heavily? One because traditional Mexican music didn’t take off like traditional Puerto Rican music. And two, because unlike Puerto Rican music, it’s shares little similarities with hip hop. Why? Because Puerto Rico is heavily African unlike Mwxzico. And you don’t have to be “Afro Latino” to historically be affected by this. That’s irrelevant.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 12-27-2020 at 07:43 PM..

Old 12-27-2020, 07:46 PM

To give an exact date on how long Puerto Rico has had an African presence, 1509.

https://minorityrights.org/minoritie...puerto-ricans/

Old 12-27-2020, 07:58 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,999,360 times
Quote:
I highly doubt that unless you're only talking about people over 35
What makes you highly doubt it? I see Hispanic people of all ages all day long. What hairstyles do you see Hispanics wearing in LA, if you're even in LA?

And why just under 35? This is about the most powerful demographic in each city. Are you using the least powerful age of each demographic to make a point?

Old 12-27-2020, 08:00 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,999,360 times
Quote:
Post Malone is from Texas. You're right about Billie Eilish though, she's pretty popular.
Post Malone is from Texas, but the entirety of his music career is in LA afaik and that's why I phrased it like I did. Maybe I misunderstood the "come out of" bit.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
What makes you highly doubt it? I see Hispanic people of all ages all day long. What hairstyles do you see Hispanics wearing in LA, if you're even in LA?

And why just under 35? This is about the most powerful demographic in each city. Are you using the least powerful age of each demographic to make a point?
Because New York Mexican hoods arw different. He’s not wrong about that. Where he is wrong is his generalize ation that all Mexican hoods around America are the same. And and that Puerto Rican black culture came from America. That has been going on since Puerto Rico was colonized.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

https://youtu.be/--B4tyfPCBg?t=864

Recent video from LA. Almost none of the young guys cut their hair like white people.

Young people are what pop culture and fashion typically revolve around.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
https://youtu.be/--B4tyfPCBg?t=864

Recent video from LA. Almost none of the young guys cut their hair like white people.

Young people are what pop culture and fashion typically revolve around.
Video from LA as your source. Seriously? for one person?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City