Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 01:02 PM

2,428 posts, read 2,498,977 times

Advertisements

As we near Halloween we both know these two Cities represent the Zombies Apocalypse with events, etc. We all know the Famous Walking Dead is Filmed and Represents Atlanta, but few may know, especailly the younger generation that the all to Famous 80's Movie the Return of the Living Dead was actually set in Louisville, KY. Both of these Cities represent the Zombies well but which one does it better??? Will never forget the scene when the Army dropped a Bomb on Louisville, Ky and you can see the skyline from a distance at Dawn July 4th 1984 to wipe out zombies, one of my favorite scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 01:06 PM

37,929 posts, read 42,225,674 times
Washington, DC because that's where Congress is.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:02 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,384,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Washington, DC because that's where Congress is.
LMAO, I give you props for that..............

Old 10-02-2015, 05:45 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,923,767 times
Pittsburgh. Period.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:50 PM

7,078 posts, read 16,813,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
As we near Halloween we both know these two Cities represent the Zombies Apocalypse with events, etc. We all know the Famous Walking Dead is Filmed and Represents Atlanta, but few may know, especailly the younger generation that the all to Famous 80's Movie the Return of the Living Dead was actually set in Louisville, KY. Both of these Cities represent the Zombies well but which one does it better??? Will never forget the scene when the Army dropped a Bomb on Louisville, Ky and you can see the skyline from a distance at Dawn July 4th 1984 to wipe out zombies, one of my favorite scenes.
Louisville. By far. Largest Zombie attack in the USA occurs each August.

http://www.louisvillezombieattack.org

Last edited by JMT; 10-03-2015 at 08:08 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 09:51 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,110,178 times
Neither. It is either Pittsburgh, or Minneapolis (which trade off with each other year after year for the Guinness World Record of "Largest Zombie Gathering." Minneapolis also has the original-- and largest-- Zombie Pub Crawl).

Old 10-02-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Pittsburgh. Period.
Not period, but a much better candidate than Atlanta.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:44 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,923,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Not period, but a much better candidate than Atlanta.
Without Pittsburgh's Night of the Living Dead (Romero & Savini) you wouldn't have a Walking Dead show or Return of the Living Dead.

Realistically nothing all that interesting (as in genre defining) happened with zombies after that until 28 Days Later (London - Danny Boyle) came out.

Although you could argue The Crazies in 1973 (also Romero) was the invention of fast zombies even though they weren't considered zombies.

Had Romero never made all those zombie movies the old Haitian slave zombie style (a.k.a. the traditional zombie) would have continued to dominate and we probably would have been left with Wes Craven's The Serpent and the Rainbow as our defining film. If that would have been the point zombie movies/shows evolved from I'd say we'd be talking about New Orleans and Voodoo.

Although the UK would still probably be there with these zombies as well as Hammer Horror put one out back in the day.

So maybe it should be London or Pittsburgh?

If you're talking zombie walks, which most cities seem to have now, then you have to go back to Milwaukee or Sacramento (or Toronto if you're talking Canada). Then Pittsburgh (Monroeville Mall) came along and shattered the record.

These days I think somewhere in S. America has the record (although I'm not sure it's official).

Toronto, Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh tend to be the largest.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:50 AM

7,078 posts, read 16,813,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Neither. It is either Pittsburgh, or Minneapolis (which trade off with each other year after year for the Guinness World Record of "Largest Zombie Gathering." Minneapolis also has the original-- and largest-- Zombie Pub Crawl).
This is highly subjective and I have actually been in Pitt for their zombie walk. Trust me, Louisville's is bigger. Somehow, it didn't get the "Street cred" or in the record books. To my knowledge, the reason is that many of the participants do not "sign in" or donate anything, thus it cannot be "counted." But I would give Louisville the unofficial record. I have never been to the one in Minneapolis but I plan on going and let you know if it feels larger than Louisville's event.

Largest gathering of zombies | Guinness World Records

They are saying Minneapolis had 18,000 zombies.

Louisville has had walks with TWICE this. Over 30,000 zombies this year as counted by police in Louisville. Seriously, google pics and youtube videos of Louisville's walk and you be the judge.

http://www.louisvillezombieattack.org/

Look at that pic there. This stream of people goes on for 5 MILES! It is very impressive. If you are into zombies, it is worth coming to Louisville to see and it rarely coincides with other zombie events.

http://www.louisvillezombieattack.org/pics-vid/

Old 10-03-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Without Pittsburgh's Night of the Living Dead (Romero & Savini) you wouldn't have a Walking Dead show or Return of the Living Dead.

Realistically nothing all that interesting (as in genre defining) happened with zombies after that until 28 Days Later (London - Danny Boyle) came out.

Although you could argue The Crazies in 1973 (also Romero) was the invention of fast zombies even though they weren't considered zombies.

Had Romero never made all those zombie movies the old Haitian slave zombie style (a.k.a. the traditional zombie) would have continued to dominate and we probably would have been left with Wes Craven's The Serpent and the Rainbow as our defining film. If that would have been the point zombie movies/shows evolved from I'd say we'd be talking about New Orleans and Voodoo.

Although the UK would still probably be there with these zombies as well as Hammer Horror put one out back in the day.

So maybe it should be London or Pittsburgh?
I lived in Pittsburgh for 3 years and am aware of the history with Romero. I am not the poster trying to argue that having the Walking Dead shot in a city makes it the "best zombie city." I think that that is sort of a silly metric, actually. I am talking zombie walks and pub crawls and other events.

Quote:
If you're talking zombie walks, which most cities seem to have now, then you have to go back to Milwaukee or Sacramento (or Toronto if you're talking Canada). Then Pittsburgh (Monroeville Mall) came along and shattered the record.

These days I think somewhere in S. America has the record (although I'm not sure it's official).

Toronto, Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh tend to be the largest.
Milwaukee had the first recorded Zombie Walk, but Minneapolis has the oldest and largest Zombie Pub Crawl. That event broke the mold for zombie themed events around the country, and really sort of precipitated a growth in "zombie culture."

The Monroeville Mall Zombie Walk in 2007 had about 1,000 participants, which is hardly shattering the record. By that time, the Zombie Pub Crawl in Minneapolis was drawing crowds of 5,000+, but they did not get it verified by Guinness until a few years ago.

As of right now, the Zombie Pub Crawl in Minneapolis attracts around 40,000 "zombies" and is the current record holder, although Pittsburgh is typically up there.

Last edited by srsmn; 10-03-2015 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City