Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:09 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Unfortunately I am getting that impression too. My dream was to find a beautiful warm weather town on the east coast where I could boat the atlantic and caribbean and still have a good paying tech job. I have tried numerous cities in florida both coasts and central, charleston sc, savannah georgia, wilmington nc and I was really surprised how few STEM jobs were available. I sort of understand charleston and savannah and wilmington, they are much smaller towns but florida has been a mystery to me as every article touts its growth and jobs.

I have had a little luck with Jacksonville as it is an enormously spread out city and one offer from citrix but I doubt I would get it as it is outside my field, and alot of hospital jobs available but they usually dont pay well. The overwhelming amount of jobs my recruiter said seemed to be geared towards the service industry and catering to retirees and most of the STEM jobs are with the state and hire from within, and STEM jobs with hospitals
Have you looked at Houston? It would put you near the coast at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,333,668 times
I have thought about it, Texas is definitely a state with a high amount of STEM jobs. I think Texas is one of the few states that deserves its noise about growth and has growth in high paying tech jobs. I am thinking about raleigh durham as well, its about an hour and 30 minutes from the coast though. Atlanta has alot of good paying tech jobs but pretty far from the coast, I think san diego would be the ideal for weather, but enormously high cost of living and I love the atlantic and caribbean for boating

Old 10-06-2015, 04:50 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I have thought about it, Texas is definitely a state with a high amount of STEM jobs. I think Texas is one of the few states that deserves its noise about growth and has growth in high paying tech jobs. I am thinking about raleigh durham as well, its about an hour and 30 minutes from the coast though. Atlanta has alot of good paying tech jobs but pretty far from the coast, I think san diego would be the ideal for weather, but enormously high cost of living and I love the atlantic and caribbean for boating
I was going to recommend both Raleigh-Durham and Atlanta but felt they would be too "inland" for you. The former would be my top pick as I have lived there before and feel it's livability factor combined with job market would be unbeatable if you can get past the distance to the coast.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:47 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,333,668 times
I definitely think raleigh durham is impressive, I went to school there for a few years and the state is really beautiful and I could be at wrightsville beach in about an hour and a half. I dont really understand why so few states with gorgeous beaches dont have major cities near them and some great tech economies. They would be booming, so many of the beach cities in the southeast( carolinas,georgia,florida) just seem intent on the tourist economy but it doesnt offer alot of high paying jobs.

Even real estate may bring money but its a very boom and bust way to build an economy and just attracting retirees or people with second "beach homes" who dont live there year round is a horrible way to build a city and an economy in my opinion.Place like tel aviv and barcelona could just be sit on the beach tourist type places but they created great start up scenes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City