Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:29 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,370,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
2015’s Most & Least Ethno-Racially Diverse Cities

https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-wit...versity/10264/

Since 2011, more than half of all U.S.-born children have been identified as ethnic or racial minorities. By 2020, the total minority population will have grown to 40.7 percent from 30.9 percent in 2000. But change isn’t confined to the next four years. By its estimates, the U.S. Census Bureau projects that no single ethnic group will comprise the majority in the U.S. for the first time in 2044.

Large City Ranking:
1 New York, NY
(69.35)
2 Oakland, CA
(69.26)
3 San Jose, CA
(68.35)
4 Sacramento, CA
(66.50)
5 San Francisco, CA
(66.30)
6 San Diego, CA
(65.52)
7 Boston, MA
(65.40)
8 Los Angeles, CA
(65.22)
9 Long Beach, CA
(65.11)
10 Houston, TX
(64.35)
My two favorite cities are 1st and 7th! Yayyyy

Also pretty cool that Houston is 10th. If only it was more walkable I would love to live there too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 10:31 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,370,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Funny how low they rank Miami for being "diverse" but I guess they don't count diversity among Hispanic groups as being diversity. They only seem to rank diversity based on white, black, Asian, Hispanic, and Native American distributions. Which is kind of the problem with lists like this.
NYC got many Latin groups too, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians, Ecuadorians, Argentinians, Venezuelans, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Hondurans, Guatemalans, Brazilians, Peruvians

Old 10-08-2015, 10:42 AM

6,843 posts, read 11,010,519 times
I fell in love with New York simply because of its diversity and cosmopolitanism and internationism and globalism. Whatever you want to call it, that special aura about New York is alluring to me. It is the exact same feeling here in London, except less cosmopolitan but more integrated, and it makes London an incredibly special place too. Especially for me.

So yeah, I view New York as the most cosmopolitan city on planet Earth and by a really really good margin too.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:50 AM

20,534 posts, read 33,666,312 times
I agree because NY has the advantage as it's in the most cosmopolitan, diverse, global, international country in the world. Even most other American cities beat international cities around the world when you take in that entire criteria. However, I have heard that London is very similar in its makeup to New York though.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I agree because NY has the advantage as it's in the most cosmopolitan, diverse, global, international country in the world. Even most other American cities beat international cities around the world when you take in that entire criteria. However, I have heard that London is very similar in its makeup to New York though.
They are very similar places in regards to diversity, cosmopolitanism, internationalism, and globalism especially in Central London. London definitely owns the edge on integration, its integration is like a San Francisco Bay Area/Houston/Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex on steroids and I consider those three along with Sacramento and Honolulu to be the most integrated places in the United States by a good bit. I would say the Canadian cities of Vancouver and Toronto probably come closest to London's integration in North America but by my personal experience, it easily is able to exceed both of those too. It's a very effortless and standardized aspect to life in Central London.

It is like New York has a patent on cosmopolitanism though. London falls short by a really decent sized stretch on that aspect. New York has the best location for any elite global city on planet Earth. It is able to pull and draw people from every country and continent on the face of the planet (at least that I am aware of). It is one of the only two American cities that seriously gets African immigrants (Washington D.C. being the other), one of the only two American cities that seriously gets South Americans (Miami being the other), and it gets everything else too. New York's location allows it to feed off the continent to its south (South America), all continents across the Atlantic from it (Europe and Africa), and the median location between Europe and Asia has made it an appealing location for Asians, Oceanians, and other Pacific Islanders as a place to invest, do business, play in, or just live in.

London doesn't have the geographical location to compete with that. It is almost a non-factor to South American and most Latin American immigrants. It barely has any and it lags even Paris significantly on African immigrants. New York somehow finds a way to stay relevant in people's lives all across the globe (in the sense of drawing people from the world on over). The biggest differentiating factor between the two cities, in my personal opinion.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:09 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,498,219 times
Latinos are the most diverse ethnic group ever, seriously they make up like 22 spanish speaking countries and we all lump them into one ethnic group Latinos.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,600,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Latinos are the most diverse ethnic group ever, seriously they make up like 22 spanish speaking countries and we all lump them into one ethnic group Latinos.
Due to colonialism, there are many countries around the world that we think are made up of one ethnic group, but are made up of many.

Look at India, for example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_India

There are over 30 thirty different LANGUAGES spoken by more than 1 million people in India, most of which are mututally unintelligble to one another (never mind Hindi-Urdu, which IMO are the same language with different writing systems). Not to mention the religion element, and lastly, class element which has its own cultural element that most North Americans can't grasp (and even I barely understand it myself).

Makes you really think though.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Due to colonialism, there are many countries around the world that we think are made up of one ethnic group, but are made up of many.

Look at India, for example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_India

There are over 30 thirty different LANGUAGES spoken in India, most of which are mututally unintelligble to one another. Not to mention the religion element, and lastly, class element which has its own cultural element that most North Americans can't grasp (and even I barely understand it myself).

Makes you really think though.
I was just about to use the India example too because it is technically one country that has like 28 different ethnic groups at the most minimum and often ethnic groups that have little to nothing to do with most of the others. People often lump Indians together as if they are one ethnicity of people, they are not.

In fact, if you don't speak a certain Indian language, then you wont understand even a word of another Indian language. They are different languages, not different dialects, entirely different languages with entirely different alphabets.

In fact, Indians that speak Hindi can actually understand Pakistanis that speak Urdu because those languages are similar other than a few words, but Indians that speak Hindi wont understand a single word of a Tamilian Indian, Gujarati Indian, Telegu Indian, Bengali Indian, Marathi Indian, so on and so forth.

China is also similar, as are some Middle-Eastern nations, just without the linguistic balkanization of India and China though.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-08-2015 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 11:23 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,318,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
But without the "hip" factor about it. Though Midtown is kinda cool.

It's unfortunate because if Sacramento was 50 miles further away from San Francisco, it would probably be a whole lot less overshadowed.

I personally think its alright -- out of all the California cities I've been to, they seem to love winter sports more than anyone else. It's just not the flashiest or coolest area that you can brag to people about.

Not that it should matter to anyone though.
If Sacramento was the largest city in a separate state(like if California was actually three states)--I think it'd get a lot more recognition. As it is, it's sort of considered the sleepy sibling of California cities compared to the big three metros, but if it was the largest city in a different state it would probably be written up like Portland(which might not be a good thing). I like the old houses and the nice tree-lined streets with the huge oak trees in Midtown, it's a nice sort of mid-sized city environment, and it's pretty laid-back and friendly(from my experience).

Is there a predominantly Chinese area in Sacramento? I know there's basically a small remnant of the old Chinatown left in the old town area, but is there a newer area with a concentration of Chinese businesses and restaurants?

Old 10-08-2015, 11:32 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,600,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Is there a predominantly Chinese area in Sacramento? I know there's basically a small remnant of the old Chinatown left in the old town area, but is there a newer area with a concentration of Chinese businesses and restaurants?
See, that's the problem with insane integration - there really isn't a predominant area of anything. Just lots of areas with everything with no real concentration of anything. It's almost boring to the point of "wow, this person looks so different than me yet we all think the same way"

That's how most metros are now -- I feel like Chicago and NYC's ethnic segregation is probably more rare than we all realize.

One of my best friends from college is a Taiwanese dude who opened a bunch of furniture stores in the Sacramento area. From my understanding, he told me that those kind of newer kind of businesses are dispersed everywhere, with many having to go to the Bay Area frequently to do business.

I'm sure that'll change soon.

Quote:
China is also similar, as are some Middle-Eastern nations, just without the linguistic balkanization of India and China though
It's weird but most of the world except North and South America and Australia are like this. Colonialism pretty much wiped out all the native cultures, so what you have left are large swaths of places that seem relatively monocultural. That's why we focus so much on immigrant cultures here because that's the only way we can remain "diverse". Most other places, not so much.

Europe did it's hardest in trying to standardize everything, and even there it's been hit or miss.

Last edited by Lets Eat Candy; 10-08-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City