Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 04:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 11,006,891 times

Advertisements

Leading Culture Destinations, which is often regarded to as the "Oscars for the museums" released their rank of the top cultural institutions from a plethora of categories and subcategories with institutions that are at the top of their trade from around the world. They gave a top 5 for each category.

They do an annual shortlist of 5 institutions for each category.

Overall winner: Leading culture destination of the year
- Museum of Modern Art, New York (U.S.) -- Winner

Best exhibitions & programming
- Museum of Modern Art, New York (U.S.)
- New Museum, New York (U.S.)

Best architecture & spatial design
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York (U.S.)

Best digital experience
- Getty Center, Los Angeles (U.S.)
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (U.S.)

Best eat & drink
- None available

Best shop

Best emerging culture destination: North America
- Whitney Museum of American Art, New York (U.S.)
- Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Winnipeg (Canada)
- Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum, New York (U.S.)
- The Aspen Art Museum, Aspen (U.S.)
- Mana Contemporary, New Jersey (U.S.)

Best emerging culture destination: Central & South America
- Gran Museo del Mundo Maya de Merida, Merida (Mexico) -- Winner
- Museum of Memory and Tolerance, Mexico City (Mexico)
- Museo Soumaya, Mexico City (Mexico)

Best art experience in a hotel
- Gramercy Park Hotel, New York (U.S.)
- Gladstone Hotel, Toronto (Canada)

Best emerging city for culture
Mexico City (Mexico) -- Winner

New York's MoMA takes top prize at museum 'Oscars' - CNN.com

The North American cities that made a showing in any of the categories: New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Mexico City, Winnipeg, Merida, and Aspen. They included New Jersey too but the institution is in Greater New York. So I consider it Greater New York.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-11-2015 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 07:25 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,342,817 times
I have never heard of this "leading cultural destinations" but this list is horrible, a modernist art museum like Moma ranks over the National Gallery of Art, National Air and Space museum, The Smithsonian, The Newseum, The Library of Congress, Vietnam and WW2 memorials,Hirshorn museum and sculpture garden, National Museum of Natural History, National Building Museum etc.

Washington DC is not even represented here????

Ridiculous and a group with an obvious anti american agenda

Last edited by floridanative10; 10-11-2015 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 08:37 PM

5,530 posts, read 8,812,595 times
I'm also surprised that none of DC's many museums made the list. Nor did some great established older ones like the Gardner in Boston, Art Institute in Chicago, or de Young in San Francisco. I love New York, but this list is a little too New York-centric even for me. And it didn't even have the Met in anything but one category. Ridiculous list

Old 10-11-2015, 10:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,962,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post

Ridiculous and a group with an obvious anti american agenda
Yes an obvious Anti-American agenda when 13 of the 19 winning categories were American. I can understand questioning of the American winning categories, why they were overwhelmingly NYC centric but to make a claim it is anti-American list when the U.S clearly has the most representation (70 percent vs Mexico and Canada combined 30 percent) is sort of a silly claim..

Would it only be considered a balanced and objective list and not demonstrating an 'agenda' if 100 percent of the winning categories were American and zero Canadian/Mexican?

Last edited by fusion2; 10-11-2015 at 10:55 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yes an obvious Anti-American agenda when 13 of the 19 winning categories were American. I can understand questioning of the American winning categories, why they were overwhelmingly NYC centric but to make a claim it is anti-American list when the U.S clearly has the most representation (70 percent vs Mexico and Canada combined 30 percent) is sort of a silly claim..

Would it only be considered a balanced and objective list and not demonstrating an 'agenda' if 100 percent of the winning categories were American and zero Canadian/Mexican?
It is ridiculous when you compare seeing the Apollo 11 lunar module , the spaceflight that landed the first humans on the Moon, or "Chicago" he first aircraft to fly around the world or "The Spirit of St. Louis" ,replicas of the lunar space suit, The X-1 the first manned airplane to exceed the speed of sound , the Wright brothers plane from kitty hawk, space ship one etc, to seeing warhols soup cans or bjorks bizarre outfits at MOMA.

This list isnt anti american or political? The Canadian center for human rights is a more important north american cultural destination than the National Air and Space museum? The reason alot of the destinations are american is because they are only considering choices between America and Canada, Mexico has its own category, and all of the american choices are very condescending towards Americans in my opinion. We have some great museums in this country

Even if you are talking just about museums for art, look at the european choices, seeing The Parthenon Sculptures, The Rosetta stone, Venus de Milo, Mona Lisa, the Sutton hoo exhibit , original Renoirs,Rembrandts,Degas, etc at the British museum or the Louvre ranks lower as cultural destination than seeing Tracy Emims dirty bed at the Tate?

The British Museum and the Louvre are part of any trip I have ever taken to London And Paris, and any list that doesnt includes the National Gallery of Art, National Air and Space museum, The Smithsonian, The Newseum, The Library of Congress, National Museum of Natural History, and Washington DC for museums and culture is an absurd list

Last edited by floridanative10; 10-12-2015 at 07:35 AM..

Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,390,117 times
Quote:
It is ridiculous when you compare seeing the Apollo 11 lunar module , the spaceflight that landed the first humans on the Moon, or "Chicago" he first aircraft to fly around the world or "The Spirit of St. Louis" ,replicas of the lunar space suit, The X-1 the first manned airplane to exceed the speed of sound , the Wright brothers plane from kitty hawk, space ship one etc, to seeing warhols soup cans or bjorks bizarre outfits at MOMA.
I'm pretty sure that NYC is in the U.S., so it isn't clear why a New York-centric list would be "anti-American".

And this is a list of "leading cultural institutions". Moon rocks and old airplanes, while crowd-pleasing to school groups from Nebraska, aren't going to be more culturally relevant than MOMA, which is, easily, the dominant contemporary art museum on earth, so much so that it doesn't really have competitor institutions.

The fact that you can't grasp art but can easily grasp space ships and zeppelins makes you a populist, which is fine, but also makes you useless as an arbiter for culture. Just because more people like Disney than Dia doesn't mean that Mickey Mouse is going to be ranked higher by art aficionados.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I'm pretty sure that NYC is in the U.S., so it isn't clear why a New York-centric list would be "anti-American".

And this is a list of "leading cultural institutions". Moon rocks and old airplanes, while crowd-pleasing to school groups from Nebraska, aren't going to be more culturally relevant than MOMA, which is, easily, the dominant contemporary art museum on earth, so much so that it doesn't really have competitor institutions.

The fact that you can't grasp art but can easily grasp space ships and zeppelins makes you a populist, which is fine, but also makes you useless as an arbiter for culture. Just because more people like Disney than Dia doesn't mean that Mickey Mouse is going to be ranked higher by art aficionados.
Yes I guess I just cant grasp great art, Venus de Milo, Mona Lisa, Degas, Toulouse lautrec could never compete with the greatness of performance art, warhol ,a toilet exhibit and Bjork at MOMA or tracy emims filthy bed at the Tate

moon rocks and old airplanes? come on

this is better than MOMA

MOBA Museum of bad art

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_Bad_Art

wikimedia commons

lucy in the field with flowers

Mari Newman's Juggling dog in hula skirt

Old 10-12-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Yes I guess I just cant grasp great art, Venus de Milo, Mona Lisa, Degas, Toulouse lautrec could never compete with the greatness of performance art, warhol ,a toilet exhibit and Bjork at MOMA or tacy emims filthy bed at the Tate
Except you made all that up. None of the things you just listed are at the Air and Space Museum or the museums you claimed were ignored.

In fact, some of the things you just listed are at MOMA and the Met.

MOMA, in particular, has an encyclopedic coverage of 20th century art, including particular strengths in Gauguin, Picasso, Van Gogh, Matisse, Dali, Monet, Cezanne, Jasper Johns, Pollack, Warhol, etc. It's the world's dominant contemporary art museum.

No idea what you're talking about with "toilet exhibits" and "filthy beds". You sound like you have some very odd ideas about art museums; maybe visit one for a change.

Venus de Milo and Mona Lisa are both in Paris, which, last I checked, is not in North America, so would not be included in a survey of North American institutions.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:

This list isnt anti american or political? The Canadian center for human rights is a more important north american cultural destination than the National Air and Space museum? The reason alot of the destinations are american is because they are only considering choices between America and Canada, Mexico has its own category, and all of the american choices are very condescending towards Americans in my opinion. We have some great museums in this country

Even if you are talking just about museums for art, look at the european choices, seeing The Parthenon Sculptures, The Rosetta stone, Venus de Milo, Mona Lisa, the Sutton hoo exhibit , original Renoirs,Rembrandts,Degas, etc at the British museum or the Louvre ranks lower as cultural destination than seeing Tracy Emims dirty bed at the Tate?

The British Museum and the Louvre are part of any trip I have ever taken to London And Paris, and any list that doesnt includes the National Gallery of Art, National Air and Space museum, The Smithsonian, The Newseum, The Library of Congress, National Museum of Natural History, and Washington DC for museums and culture is an absurd list
This was my post, you need to read the article , it is the worlds leading cultural destinations and The Tate won for Best exhibitions & programming in the world and MOMA was the leading culture destination of the year in the world. The National gallery, The British Museum and Louvre have every sculpture and painting I mentioned and alot more, I just think this is very condescending to American culture and how Washington Dc is not mentioned at all is ridiculous

Old 10-12-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
This was my post, you need to read the article , it is the worlds leading cultural destinations and The Tate won for Best exhibitions & programming in the world and MOMA was the leading culture destination of the year in the world. The National gallery, The British Museum and Louvre have every sculpture and painting I mentioned and alot more, I just think this is very condescending to American culture and how Washington Dc is not mentioned at all is ridiculous
And, again, the British Museum and Louvre are not in North America.

DC is not considered a major global art center, so it would be ridiculous to assume it would have heavy representation, or to assume that omission of DC is some scandalous affair. The National Gallery of Art is the only real top-tier art institution in DC, and even the National Gallery wouldn't rank with the world's top museums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City