Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 11:14 PM

486 posts, read 605,616 times

Advertisements

Both rust belt cities with declining populations and, in the past, both heavy manufacturing centers. By city proper population, Akron is about 2x larger than Erie, but when it comes to MSA size, Akron has around 500,000 more people. Still, which city wins in the following categories:

-Cost of living
-Quality of life
-Downtown
-Economic development
-Transportation (airports, highways, etc.)
-Arts, entertainment, shopping, zoos, parks, etc.
-Food
-Tourism

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Here's my opinions:
-Cost of living: Pretty equal

-Quality of life: Certainly depends on what neighborhoods your talking about in Akron or Erie, but Akron is close to Cleveland and Erie has the lake/peninsula

-Downtown: Haven't been to downtown Akron much but Erie's State Street is pretty busy during the day and on weekend nights. We have a few new higher class clubs and restaurants and are getting two new hotels on the bayfront.

-Economic development: I'd say Erie wins. Go downtown or the bayfront and you will see lots of construction. Hotels, façade revitalizations, new boutique shops and the much anticipated Harbor Place. Erie has come along way in the last 10 years with a convention center, Bayfront Sheraton, the revitalization of the Erie Insurance Arena, construction of downtown townhouses, etc.

-Transportation: Akron by a long shot. CAK airport is served by the big 4 airlines; together they fly to 15+ destinations. ERI only flies to 3 hubs. Erie is well connected to I-79 and I-90. Akron has I-76 and I-77.

-Arts, etc.: I'd say both cities are pretty equal in this regard....although Akron may have a slight edge with it's proximity to Cleveland. Erie has Presque isle, though.

-Food: Probably Akron, if only because it's larger.

-Tourism: Erie definitely. Probably one of the only growing industries in the city. As stated previously the area is seeing a lot of hotel construction as well as a new shopping/retail/office development on the east bayfront. During the summer (May-Sep), the city is booming with tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City