Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,749 times

Advertisements

My young family is looking to move to the Oregon/Washington area from Dallas, TX in about 6 months.

I think I have narrowed it down to the following cities:

Salem, OR
Bend, OR
Eugene, OR
Vancouver, WA
Bellingham, WA
Klammath Falls, OR

We are a family of 4. My wife and I and a 4 year old son (will start school next year) and a 2 year old daughter.

Our main goals in moving are to:

Get away from the crowds/consumerism of Dallas.
Be in nature a bit more (hiking, camping, running).
BETTER WEATHER . . . sick of the HOT Texas days.

What we are seeking:

Moderate climate (rain and some snow okay . . . but prefer mild winters)
Close to rivers, mountains, etc.
Good schools
Town with good parks and walkable/bikeable . . . we would love to be able to walk out our door onto trails.

Budget/Jobs:

We DO NOT need to be in or near a large economic center (we work online).
We hope to spend about $325,000 - $350,000 for a 3bed/2bath house.

Biggest Goals:

Nature, nature, nature
Slower pace
Better weather

I like the idea of Vancouver to save on Income and Sales tax . . .

Other towns/areas welcome . . . I am actually flying out there next week to visit some of these towns.

Your tips/advice is GREATLY appreciated! Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 05:32 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
You are describing Bend, in my opinion. Salem and Eugene aren't close to mountains (1.5 hours away). I'm not sure I'd call out Bend as having a moderate climate, but that depends on how you define that. The summers are hot because it is high desert, but they aren't humid like Texas. Winters can be cold for the same reason.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You are describing Bend, in my opinion. Salem and Eugene aren't close to mountains (1.5 hours away). I'm not sure I'd call out Bend as having a moderate climate, but that depends on how you define that. The summers are hot because it is high desert, but they aren't humid like Texas. Winters can be cold for the same reason.
Thank you . . . The more I look at Bend the more it seems to be a good fit. I can't wait to check it out next week!

Old 10-12-2015, 06:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I was surprised last time I was in Bend to see that the average home price seemed right about at your high limit. Prices have gone way up there the last few years. I would also consider Grant's Pass. There is no substitute for visiting in person. Going up I5, you might fly to Portland, rent car, then drive across the river to Vancouver, down I5 to Salem, Eugene, Grant's Pass, then go east near Ashland on the way back to see Klamath Falls, and Bend. Bellingham may be too wet for you, but if you want to see it go first or wait to see if you have time. It's about 5 hours north of Portland. That whole drive is beautiful, but most likely you will use the wipers a lot this time of year.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I was surprised last time I was in Bend to see that the average home price seemed right about at your high limit. Prices have gone way up there the last few years. I would also consider Grant's Pass. There is no substitute for visiting in person. Going up I5, you might fly to Portland, rent car, then drive across the river to Vancouver, down I5 to Salem, Eugene, Grant's Pass, then go east near Ashland on the way back to see Klamath Falls, and Bend. Bellingham may be too wet for you, but if you want to see it go first or wait to see if you have time. It's about 5 hours north of Portland. That whole drive is beautiful, but most likely you will use the wipers a lot this time of year.
Awesome advice. This actually helps with the driving plan I was going to work on tonight . . Thanks!

Old 10-21-2015, 04:08 PM

7 posts, read 10,945 times
We recently moved to Eugene and we love it. It's relaxed and beautiful and there are lots of things to do with kids. Also without kids. The schools are a mixed bag, but if you do some research you will find good ones.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:25 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I've lived in Oregon and Washington and if you have a large income that is portable, you will save a lot of state income taxes in Washington. Other than that, Oregon has better climate especially in Southern Oregon. You mentioned Klamath which is pretty but is pretty remote and kind of dead/quiet town. I would look at Grants Pass & Medford as well.

If you want the economical advantage in Washington state, Vancouver has decent climate and the considerable advantage of right across the river from Portland.

To me, Bend is too cold in the winter and doesn't get enough sun to warrant its high prices. Bellingham is going to be pretty wet and cloudy so other than that, it's beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City