Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:27 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,151,589 times

Advertisements

My favorite is West New York, New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 10:29 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,916,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Does anyone outside Kansas City care?
Apparently you care enough to post this and if you don't care, why post anything? You could say the same thing about nearly every thread on this forum. Most people don't care about most of the topics on this forum, especially most people that don't post here. 99% of your everyday people don't give a blank if Pittsburgh is more dense than Columbus or if Indy has a larger skyline than St Louis.

I care because I was born and raised in Kansas City, I get tired of it being called Kansas and being labled as a Kansan and all the general Kansas stereotypes that get applied to KC, none of which are true. Almost everybody I know that is from the Missouri side of KC cares enough to agree with me, most just don't care enough to be vocal about it. People that have any ties what so ever to Kansas or KU, even if they live on the MO side don't care as much. But lots of people do care.

I just wonder if KC will ever develop it's own identity and stop associated with Kansas. After two straight World Series appearances, a recent all star game, all the nationally televised Chiefs games etc, I have come to the conclusion that it will never happen.

I'm not saying they should always say Kansas City, Missouri. It shouldn't be a problem since that is where the metropolitan area is based and where nearly everything that makes KC what it is happens to be located.

But is it too much to ask for people to no call it "Kansas"? It's not the Kansas Royals. It's not the Kansas Skyline and chances are good that if you are showing off KC's best parts, you are not on the Kansas side at all. They are not going to show blimp aerials of Overland Park or KCK during the WS.

So call it KC. Call it Kansas City. Call it Kansas City, Missouri. But Don't call it Kansas or Kansas City Kansas unless you are actually correctly referring to the Kansas side. (Soccer or nascar for example, although they should be just called KC or Kansas City as well).

Old 10-31-2015, 10:32 AM

20,523 posts, read 33,582,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Speaking of St. Louis, I had to tell quiet a few people that East St. Louis is not in Missouri.

I guess the people of Kansas City didn't think it would grow to that size it is now and didn't think it was that big of deal. *shrugs*. I do agree though that they probably should have called it Missouri City or something. I don't know the true history of the naming of the city. Maybe somebody could share that.
SMH lol. Hate typing on the go.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:47 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,916,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
According to Wikipedia, Kansas City was originally called Town of Kansas after the river. The city part on the end was added when Kansas the territory (eventually state) was established.
It was originally the Town of Kansas, then the City of Kansas and finally Kansas City. All before Kansas was officially a state. The Town of Kansas and Westport merged and became Kansas City. It would be interesting had they kept the name Westport, Missouri instead.

It's named after the Kansa Indian tribe.

Kansas City Kansas came later. KCK is actually the result of the merging of several smaller communities, the largest was called Wyandotte, KS. One of those communities (the smallest of them all) was originally named Kansas City. It was a tiny industrial area near KCMO (it was just an area not a town). Rumor has it that they chose to call the newly formed city "Kansas City" to feed off the success and popularity of the larger more established KCMO.

Today KCK is nothing more than an industrial suburb of KCMO. It has a few attractions and even "some" urban characteristics, but it functions as a suburb of KCMO. It has always been a modest blue collar bedroom community to KCMO. KCK is not even the largest suburb in Kansas and the other suburbs in Kansas like Overland Park are suburbs of KCMO, not KCK.

Then you also have North Kansas City, Missouri and KCMO proper north of the river which is called Kansas City North or the Northland. Then there is a small town in the area called Missouri City on the Missouri River.

So KC's geography IS confusing. I get that.

I actually like the name Kansas City.

The KC area today could be Westport, MO / Wyandotte, KS metro area.

I think Kansas City or KC is a cool name. It represents the entire metropolitan region. KC = western Missouri and eastern Kansas. But don't call it "Kansas" and don't label KCMO (skyline, downtown, plaza, sports venues etc) as KCK

When you only say Kansas without the "city" part or incorrectly saying that the important parts of KC are in KCK, you are insulting 60% of the region. It would be like saying the KU jayhawks play in Missouri. Not too many would be fond of that either.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,131,534 times
Don't worry KCMO, I still hear people talk about how the "packers play in Green Bay which is a suburb of Milwaukee"

Ugh!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,017,258 times
Do the majority of people who live in the metro live in Kansas or Mizzou?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 23,855,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I care because I was born and raised in Kansas City, I get tired of it being called Kansas and being labled as a Kansan and all the general Kansas stereotypes that get applied to KC, none of which are true. Almost everybody I know that is from the Missouri side of KC cares enough to agree with me, most just don't care enough to be vocal about it. People that have any ties what so ever to Kansas or KU, even if they live on the MO side don't care as much. But lots of people do care.
I've read into some of your posts, and my takeaway from it is that of all the bi-state metropolitan areas in the country, Kansas and Missouri have some of the worst animosity towards one another. Perhaps many the suburban folk on the Kansas don't give a a flip about KCMO's growth and well being as a city? Having to deal with Kansas politicians when having involvement in governance over a cohesive (or lack there of) metro area. Yeah I can imagine that kind of hindrance could boil over into some real frustration on the overall progress of the city. It seems like one of the last cities to really get public transit to come together, be it light rail and streetcars in the city or rail transit into the suburbs.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:56 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,632,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Don't worry KCMO, I still hear people talk about how the "packers play in Green Bay which is a suburb of Milwaukee"

Ugh!

And Milwaukee is a suburb of Chicago.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:59 PM

638 posts, read 625,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
"Mizzou" only refers to the school, not the state.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:20 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,197,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Missouri. I believe the percentage of people living on the Kansas side is fairly similar to the percentage of people living in the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City