Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Richmond, VA 62 62.00%
Asheville, NC 38 38.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 02:04 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If I don't feel comfortable visiting without a bodyguard, why would it matter? Maybe you need to pull up both cities and see how different they are. I would be interested more in the crime figures. I used to drive up I-85 and I-95 to see my daughter. We leave I-85 in Greensboro now and take highway 29 for a safer route. I haven't heard of anyone shooting at cars on that road like the trails around Richmond.

I checked and the crime figures are about the same but I have to go with the way I feel when I drive through the towns. I told you I really don't like either one but if given the choice of the two it would definitely be Asheville. You could not pay me to live in Richmond. Not one thing I saw attracted me to the city. Both are too cold for one thing.

And which town did the Biltmore's choose to build the largest home in America in. It wasn't Richmond.
This month Travel + Leisure magazine lists Richmond as the number 3 place IN THE WORLD to visit in 2016.
Come on up, rent a bodyguard AND a bulletproof vehicle and eat somewhere other than a Waffle House beside 95.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
I've been to Asheville a couple of times. Love it. Don't know about housing there though. I've heard it's hard to find rentals.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:25 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Which city is the least polluted? Mainly water quality and air.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:12 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Which city is the least polluted? Mainly water quality and air.
According to Sperling's Richmond's water and air quality are better.

I guess the question you really have to ask yourself is are you looking for better quality of life or pretty mountain backdrops?

If you're middle class and need to work then you'll have a hard time affording Asheville. But if you're young and don't mind packing lots of people into a place then it can work for you (for now as they've been cracking down on this). Same thing if you come in with money as a retired person. You can sidestep a lot of the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
More doesn't always mean better. Asheville has a burgeoning arts scene with lots of young people and creative types from several areas of the country. A young single person would not have any trouble getting out and meeting new people. Asheville has several organic grocery stores, restaurants, and environmentally friendly artisan/clothing/fine jewelry type stores. Again, quality over quantity any day.
That's true, but I don't see the point of listing things that don't really make Asheville special or unique.

It has an art scene, but unless you're talking crafting type things the younger people don't really sell that much. The folks with money want to buy established artists for the most part. And as a place that's good for people to produce their work it is great, but IMO too expensive to live comfortably (unless you don't need to work).

Meeting people and going out to places sure so long as you don't mind meeting the same people over and over. The area lacks a large student population like similar areas.

Talking food on CD is pointless because everyone thinks every place is a great foodie destination when in reality few are.

The grocery stores thing is a good call and I'd be willing to wager is somewhat unique to the area.

Yes, you can find hippy clothing shops in town if that's your thing.

Lots of people doing jewelry in the area and of the few I know who have been highly successful aren't young.

If you want to see where Asheville is with the arts just look at the art museum. Half of it is gallery space and they lack significant works. Then go to Knoxville's art museum and it'll tell you everything you need to know.

Most people I know that have lived in the area a long time (or are locals to this area of NC) say Asheville started to go wrong with stuff like Biltmore Town Center. The new outlet mall is ho-hum as far as that sort of thing goes.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:38 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I've been to Asheville a couple of times. Love it. Don't know about housing there though. I've heard it's hard to find rentals.
Big time. Little Big City Blues: Asheville’s growing housing crisis

Old 12-04-2015, 11:14 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's great to know because I have to move there for work.

Thankfully, I should be making good money, but still.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:38 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
[quote=Port Pitt Ash;42136389]According to Sperling's Richmond's water and air quality are better.

I guess the question you really have to ask yourself is are you looking for better quality of life or pretty mountain backdrops?

If you're middle class and need to work then you'll have a hard time affording Asheville. But if you're young and don't mind packing lots of people into a place then it can work for you (for now as they've been cracking down on this). Same thing if you come in with money as a retired person. You can sidestep a lot of the issues.

Quote:
That's true, but I don't see the point of listing things that don't really make Asheville special or unique.
Biltmore is not special or unique???!!! The Blue Ridge Mountains? The arts and crafts culture that the city prides itself on?

Quote:
It has an art scene, but unless you're talking crafting type things the younger people don't really sell that much. The folks with money want to buy established artists for the most part. And as a place that's good for people to produce their work it is great, but IMO too expensive to live comfortably (unless you don't need to work).
That's a fair criticism. However, you have to do a bit more research before you say it is an expensive place to live because that is simply not true. There are many things to do that are absolutely free, and compared to other areas of the country that share the same liberal creative culture, it is relatively inexpensive.

Quote:
Meeting people and going out to places sure so long as you don't mind meeting the same people over and over. The area lacks a large student population like similar areas.
Asheville is college town. The area is home to thousands of students, so that's not true.

[quote]Talking food on CD is pointless because everyone thinks every place is a great foodie destination when in reality few are.
Quote:

Completely agree. Many places on CD are way overrated.

Quote:
The grocery stores thing is a good call and I'd be willing to wager is somewhat unique to the area.

Yes, you can find hippy clothing shops in town if that's your thing.

Lots of people doing jewelry in the area and of the few I know who have been highly successful aren't young.
Quote:
If you want to see where Asheville is with the arts just look at the art museum. Half of it is gallery space and they lack significant works. Then go to Knoxville's art museum and it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Again, you have to step outside of one museum to really capture Asheville's arts community. Asheville is not a big city, it's not even a midsize city, yet offers a large arts scene.

Arts | Asheville, NC's Official Travel Site

Most people I know that have lived in the area a long time (or are locals to this area of NC) say Asheville started to go wrong with stuff like Biltmore Town Center. The new outlet mall is ho-hum as far as that sort of thing goes.
My point was that people were saying that Richmond was simply better and Asheville couldn't compare in its retail offerings which is also not true. Save for a few big name department stores and boutiques unique to each city, they basically offer the same things.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:59 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Quote:
Biltmore is not special or unique???!!! The Blue Ridge Mountains? The arts and crafts culture that the city prides itself on?
Biltmore is unique to the SE and that it's the largest house in America, but there are hundreds of homes that can be considered excessive throughout America. If you look at it from a global standpoint it's not even the biggest (the largest is 20 times the size of Biltmore). Anyway with all your shopping links I figured when you said Biltmore you were referring to one of those since people tend to just say Biltmore around these parts when they mean shopping/the mall.

The Blue Ridge Mountains? In what way? Dozens of towns are part of those mountains and dozens more are part of other mountain ranges. There are places in WV that if you didn't know where you were have nearly identical views and features of the Blue Ridge views in this area. WV also is US top 5 for white water, but unlike Asheville it isn't trendy.

Never mind that Knoxville & Chattanooga have comparable vistas. Virginia Creeper Trail is also nearby in VA, which is very nice.

The arts and crafts culture. It's nice, but not really a thing that makes it unique. Especially these days where that sort of thing has become popular.

Quote:
That's a fair criticism. However, you have to do a bit more research before you say it is an expensive place to live because that is simply not true. There are many things to do that are absolutely free, and compared to other areas of the country that share the same liberal creative culture, it is relatively inexpensive.
Well your biggest expense is going to be your housing here. The highest price I've seen for a studio in Asheville is more than a 1 bedroom downtown Portland (and around double that of a studio). Granted prices there are still climbing. But I wouldn't be surprised if Asheville's rental prices aren't close to the highest in NC and perhaps all of the southeast.

Your right the rest of your costs aren't that much. However, wages are probably the lowest I've seen in the states. If you work a basic full-time job (assuming you can find full-time work) at the average wage and rent at the top end studio after rent you're only left with $35 a week before any other costs (including taxes).

That's not exactly a recipe for carefree mountain living.

Quote:
Asheville is college town. The area is home to thousands of students, so that's not true.
To call Asheville a college town is a bit of a stretch. When I think of college towns I think of places like Athens (35k students), Tuscaloosa (35k), Fayetteville (25k), Chapel Hill ((30k), Ann Arbor (60k) etc.

A-B Tech has maybe 11k?

VCU has over 30k and as far as I know Richmond isn't considered a college town.

I find it strange that not many people have brought up Western NC greatest strength of 4 season weather that's milder than many places. Granted not for this comparison, but to many that are similar to Asheville. We might even break 60 degrees this weekend in December!

Old 12-04-2015, 03:31 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
That's great to know because I have to move there for work.

Thankfully, I should be making good money, but still.
Yeah even if you make good money, you may have to search hard for a place. Apartments and even houses up for rent go quick. I know someone that moved there and they had to wait 2-3 months to move into an apartment. Vacancy rate is very low. But at least Asheville isn't that expensive.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:09 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
@port

@Shakeesha just likes digging at Rich. Richmond comparatively offers a better shopping experience pound for pound, and I think most people objectively speaking realize this. That's to take nothing away from Asheville's shopping experience, only stating the obvious...

Also, agree on the point about college towns. Asheville isn't a college town or even within the Carolina triumvirate of top university towns. If we were to go cliche, Asheville is much closers to being considered a resort town or travel destination than a college town. Her beloved city of Nashville is much clover to being a college town than Asheville. ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City