Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 08:36 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I don't disagree with you regarding the issues we have in our country. Trust me, as a double minority myself I wholeheartedly agree with you but not all White people would move away just because some Black folks moved in. I feel as though it's being unfair to the White people who actually don't think or would behave this way. We should celebrate our allies rather then pigeonholing them into the same lump group.
Which I believe he did when he agreed with the particular neighborhoods I mentioned that made an effort to be integrated versus long time residents leaving once enough of a certain group of people move in.

With this said, we can't pretend that what Mutiny77 mentioned is some fantasy or false narrative either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 08:37 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,048 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with you regarding the issues we have in our country. Trust me, as a double minority myself I wholeheartedly agree with you but not all White people would move away just because some Black folks moved in. I feel as though it's being unfair to the White people who actually don't think or would behave this way. We should celebrate our allies rather then pigeonholing them into the same lump group.
Why are you taking this personal?

Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Why are you taking this personal?
I'm not really and overall I think it's an interesting topic that needs more discussion without consequence, but I do have White friends that would never do this and I would never include them into this sweeping generalization that all White's would move away if Blacks moved in. I understand that White Flight occurred and that issues still exist but I think it does a disservice when you don't acknowledge the folks who have actually left that train of thought and are actually allies.... isn't saying "I don't mean you but in general White people" is almost like saying "I'm not racist but..."

Old 07-18-2017, 09:09 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I'm not really and overall I think it's an interesting topic that needs more discussion without consequence, but I do have White friends that would never do this and I would never include them into this sweeping generalization that all White's would move away if Blacks moved in. I understand that White Flight occurred and that issues still exist but I think it does a disservice when you don't acknowledge the folks who have actually left that train of thought and are actually allies.... isn't saying "I don't mean you but in general White people" is almost like saying "I'm not racist but..."
And yet you have no issue with JMatl's statement which was also a generalization.

Yeah, we see you buddy.

And don't be so sure your White friends would never do it. Because, you know...property values and all.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And yet you have no issue with JMatl's statement which was also a generalization.

Yeah, we see you buddy.
I don't want to argue with him. He can't get over the fact that I'm not a fan of Atl as a city. I was just mentioning a thought to discuss further but if this is where it ends then that's fine.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:

And don't be so sure your White friends would never do it. Because, you know...property values and all.
Well, if my property value fell I would consider selling and moving to.. purely from a financial loss point of view. I'm not a millionaire so I have to manage what I have. That still doesn't mean the White person moving is necessarily racist. I don't disagree that some would but I don't believe all would be racially motivated. Did crime go up? Did taxes increase? Did prices fall? There are many considerations for ones financial investment.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:23 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Well, if my property value fell I would consider selling and moving to.. purely from a financial loss point of view. I'm not a millionaire so I have to manage what I have. That still doesn't mean the White person moving is necessarily racist. I don't disagree that some would but I don't believe all would be racially motivated. Did crime go up? Did taxes increase? Did prices fall? There are many considerations for ones financial investment.
Again...the research is out there and I'm not here for these blame games and lectures directed towards Black folks in this thread. Not today.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Again...the research is out there and I'm not here for these blame games and lectures directed towards Black folks in this thread. Not today.
No problem. I understand that it's a sensitive topic.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:36 AM

840 posts, read 759,173 times
Do you think most blacks want to live amongst whites? I think whites assume they do and often make sure to favor integration but I wonder if that's what most blacks want too. I don't think they want to feel they aren't welcome somewhere that is predominantly white but do they really prefer to live in predominantly white neighborhoods or with others more like themselves? It seems often people prefer to live near people who share their culture etc.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:41 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
That's easy; Black folks already know Whites will start leaving in a panic when too many of "us" show up in the neighborhood, so we just chose to live where we feel wanted.
I was literally speaking in terms of nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City