Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:40 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Haha do they have concession stands?

How can they fit 50,000 in that "stadium"? Do people have to sit on beach towels...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 11:09 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
I hate to admit this as a White Sox fan, but I have yet to see a place combining beauty, old time charm and after-game bar hopping that compares to Wrigley Field. There is no place like it in America.

Wrigley field is a magical place. I've been to Fenway twice, and it's cool, I like it, but Wrigley has like 25 different "Cask N Flagon" type bars all within 2-3 blocks. Plus, it's in a nicer neighborhood with charming residences. Not to mention the rooftop experiences that are available.

It's the DisneyWorld of baseball stadiums, with old-world charm sprinkled on top.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:30 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
In the U.S., I don't see how the LA Memorial Coliseum can be topped, as it hosted two Olympics.

Not mentioned yet, but worthy of consideration, are several of the nation's great football stadiums, especially those in the Big Ten, given their age, size, college football history, as well as the fact that they are still in active use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ms_by_capacity

Old 01-03-2016, 12:05 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Fenway
Wrigley
Rose Bowl
Lambeau
I think these are the ones people think of most.

What about one that is older than all of them and still in use?

Love Classic Wikipedia Pictures

Franklin Field opened in 1895 and has been the home to numerous football teams and events. It is the official stadium of the Penn Quakers football team. It has held the Penn Relays since the first. It was the home of the Philadelphia Eagles for 12 seasons. The Eagles dominated in the seasons they played there winning 2 NFL Championships during the 60s' (Vince Lombardi's only Playoff loss with the Packers occured at the Stadium). It was the host of the Army-Navy Football game 18 times. Howard Cossell one time was so drunk on Monday Night Football at Franklin Field, he throw up in the booth and left at halftime during the Eagles-Giants game.

Franklin Roosevelt accepted his second Democratic psrty nomination for President at Franklin Field. Two USSR-US Track meets in the 50s' occurred there. Santa Claus was hit with snow balls in the infamous Christmas Day football game. The stadium was featured heavily in the movie "Unbreakable" with Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson. I once saw Jessica Simpson and Dave Mirra perform halftime shows at Temple football games there in the 90s' lol.

The stadium is super old school. No lights. Historic bathrooms.

Its interesting watching West Philadelphia rise around the old place: https://www.flickr.com/photos/porsche-linn/23442408514/ (to the left near the river)

Old 01-03-2016, 01:36 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Super Dome, not only is it Iconic for its sports, but after Katrina it really became the center of something that transcended sports and became the ultimate symbol for one of the worst disasters in American History.
Then
Fenway
Wrigley
Rose Bowl
Lambeau
Yankee stadium is 3 years old.
Lambeau Field opened in 1957. Hopefully (given my age), that isn't considered sufficiently historic.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:58 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Lansdowne is covered in dust and garbage most of the time. Also, we've had about 3 shootings on Yawkey way in the last 3 months. A hazmat incident and a stalking/rape situations as well. Go fenway!
Well Landsdowne isn't all that nice. But Sweet Cheeks, Tasty Burger, and the new City Target are all pretty sweet. All in all I do like Fenway as a neighborhood.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:09 PM

11,056 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Well Landsdowne isn't all that nice. But Sweet Cheeks, Tasty Burger, and the new City Target are all pretty sweet. All in all I do like Fenway as a neighborhood.
It's not really awful and I do like tasty burger, sweet cheeks, etc but I just can't really understand why people are willing to pay so much to live there. There are way better areas to live without the price tag and shootings. And better areas for out of towners. When I worked at fenway I frequently disappointed people by telling them it's a bit of a walk to everything else on their itinerary. Also compared to other ballpark neighborhoods, it's not great. My favorite is Pittsburgh's, but not really historic for this thread.

Really interesting about that park in philly, thanks dirtypirate. Any other parks out there flying under the radar?

Old 01-03-2016, 05:50 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
What's wrong with the neighborhood surrounding Fenway? I walked like 2 miles to a game last year and thought it looked very nice. And this is from someone whose first and only time on the east coast was Boston.
I didn't mean it was a bad neighborhood, but I only remember the blocks surrounding the park to be warehouses and fan shops.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:56 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned The Cotton Bowl in Dallas. It has not significantly changed in many decades. It was the home of SMU football off and on for many years, and the Dallas Cowboys played there before their stadium in Irving (Texas Stadium) opened in the early 70's. It doesn't host the namesake bowl anymore, (thanks to Jerry's World), but the stadium does host a lessor bowl every year, this year, "The Heart of Dallas Bowl".

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-03-2016 at 11:06 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 09:03 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Don't forget the Coliseum has hosted TWO Olympic games (1932 & 1984) and just had the Special Olympics world games this past summer.
Thanks. Yes, the Coliseum hosted the Olympics twice, and that was actually what pushed it ahead of the Rose Bowl in my opinion. I was thinking about that when I did my post, not sure why I didn't actually write it. Thank you for correcting my oversight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City