Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Chicago & San Francisco more like the east coast cities than any other US cities?
yes 40 64.52%
no 22 35.48%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 11:01 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,802,216 times

Advertisements

San Francisco looks and feels nothing like Eastern cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 11:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,642,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Like Nei said, there are some similarities to older Northeastern cities, but only because of it's age. Otherwise SF is very distinctive compared to it's sisters & brothers on the West.
Kinda, but there are plenty of Midwestern cities of the same ago or slightly older than San Francisco that don't have the density, bustling downtown, lots of attached buildings of San Francisco. Part of it the denser parts of those cities decayed, but many of them were never as dense as San Francisco. Outer San Francisco neighborhoods are denser and more attached than sections of the East Bay built earlier. Even Daly City, mostly a postwar suburb, is denser than most of Oakland. Does anywhere outside of the Northeast except for maybe scattered blocks of Chicago have many blocks that are of this scale?

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7948...2!8i6656?hl=en

[Cincinnati has a few, but the area is very small]

Last edited by nei; 01-09-2016 at 11:30 AM..

Old 01-09-2016, 11:12 AM

317 posts, read 379,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
It's also a lot less urban than some people try and make it out to be. It's not mini NYC in urbanness.

Chicago itself is actually considerably more urban than San Francisco.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:03 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,658,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Kinda, but there are plenty of Midwestern cities of the same ago or slightly older than San Francisco that don't have the density, bustling downtown, lots of attached buildings of San Francisco. Part of it the denser parts of those cities decayed, but many of them were never as dense as San Francisco. Outer San Francisco neighborhoods are denser and more attached than sections of the East Bay built earlier. Even Daly City, mostly a postwar suburb, is denser than most of Oakland. Does anywhere outside of the Northeast except for maybe scattered blocks of Chicago have many blocks that are of this scale?

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7948...2!8i6656?hl=en

[Cincinnati has a few, but the area is very small]
Good point. I'm curious as to whether any neighborhoods that might have been previously like this were subject to urban renewal policies, freeway clearances or downtown revitalization efforts that destroyed them. I think that oftentimes the densest neighborhoods were often most associated with being slums during this period so might have been most likely to be cleared, but that's conjecture on my part.

While not a Midwestern city, Pittsburgh probably also has streets like these. Actually, I recall that smaller mining towns and cities in Pennsylvania often had really tightly built streets and really packed streetwalls--the only big issue was that there were gaps where houses had been demo'd or removed in some way since a lot of those towns aren't economically doing stellar. Probably a convergent evolution for these places and San Francisco due to bits of similar geographic constraints?

Old 01-10-2016, 12:21 PM

699 posts, read 613,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Well, San Francisco certainly doesn't look like any WC city. The denser areas of Los Angeles/San Diego/San Jose have no resemblance whatsoever with San Francisco, they however do resemble each other quite a bit.

It's not that each WC is a special unique snowflake, it's that San Francisco is unique to the WC, however if it was on the EC it wouldn't be unique at all. Call it what you will.

I do agree that San Francisco feels very WC. I just several months ago were dealing at the same time with two clients (and hence many associated people with them) based in Manhattan and the other in San Francisco. I can't even tell you how different they were. The San Francisco client being very similar to a client of mine from Santa Monica. Since I'm from the WC I recognize the 'WC culture' right away.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Love how the row-houses in your photo of SF have garages at ground level. If that does not scream California, I do not know what does.
Really? Are we reaching that much?

Btw, I had ex who lived in one of those planned communities in Jupiter, Fl (where they had one company build entire neighborhoods) and her townhouse, as well everyone elses had a garage on the first floor. You must be really reaching, if you think that screams 'California.' Where would the garage be, if not on the first floor?

The other shot I showed you of San Francisco had no garages at all.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:39 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,239,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Well, San Francisco certainly doesn't look like any WC city. The denser areas of Los Angeles/San Diego/San Jose have no resemblance whatsoever with San Francisco, they however do resemble each other quite a bit.

It's not that each WC is a special unique snowflake, it's that San Francisco is unique to the WC, however if it was on the EC it wouldn't be unique at all. Call it what you will.

I do agree that San Francisco feels very WC. I just several months ago were dealing at the same time with two clients (and hence many associated people with them) based in Manhattan and the other in San Francisco. I can't even tell you how different they were. The San Francisco client being very similar to a client of mine from Santa Monica. Since I'm from the WC I recognize the 'WC culture' right away.
It can argued that San Fran's topography would make it an anomaly on the East Coast but then again, there's Pittsburgh....

Last edited by tcave360; 01-10-2016 at 04:13 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 03:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,642,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
The older victorian architecture in San Francisco you can find in small towns on the California coast, especially the North Coast. Just much less dense. I've even seen a few buildings with that look in Portland. There's an overall color scheme that appears common in California and not that common in the Northeast. Even the downtown buildings have more of a pastel and less of brick look than the Northeast. Other than the attached layout, it feels very different from anything back home.

I'd say distinctive for California, but still Californian if that makes sense.

Quote:
What sorta stuff culturally did you notice specifically?

Old 01-10-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The older victorian architecture in San Francisco you can find in small towns on the California coast, especially the North Coast.
Can you please name me the town or show me the pictures.

Quote:
I've even seen a few buildings with that look in Portland. There's an overall color scheme that appears common in California and not that common in the Northeast.
I don't know where you get that those pastel colors are common in the WC because they are not. It's usually beige stucco out in most WC neighborhoods.

I showed pictures from Washington DC (TCDave corrected me) and Charleston, SC with those pastel color schemes, but then I could show Portland, Maine (not Oregon), and even some neighborhoods of Providence, RI.

I think that color scheme is from a certain area of the UK, Boston is red-brick and quite different. I agree. It looks like Manchester. There are even pastel colored rowhouses in Toronto (Danforth Ave).

Old 01-10-2016, 04:18 PM

Liverpool, UK

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City