Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 08:18 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,054,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
My favorite New England Counties
If I had to make a top 10 counties list based on how I’m feeling right now:

1) Middlesex, MA
2) Suffolk, MA
3) New London, CT
4) Essex, MA
5) Washington, RI
6) Middlesex, CT
7) Hampshire, MA
8) Providence, RI
9) New Haven, CT
10) Rockingham, NH

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 08-18-2021 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 09:20 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
CT is so underrated. I use to do groupthink and call it a boring hllhole. But CT really has come to my liking.

I love Northern New England but the combination of Ri ma ct just beats me nh vt.

Old 08-18-2021, 09:23 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
CT is so underrated. I use to do groupthink and call it a boring hllhole. But CT really has come to my liking.

I love Northern New England but the combination of Ri ma ct just beats me nh vt.
It's understated. Idk if it's so underrated. It's not a hellhole at all. But it is very boring.

Better more accessible beaches, more dynamic and cared for cities, and better public transportation would do wonder for the state

Old 08-18-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
It's understated. Idk if it's so underrated. It's not a hellhole at all. But it is very boring.

Better more accessible beaches, more dynamic and cared for cities, and better public transportation would do wonder for the state
Yeah living in MA and going to school in NY, I learned no body wanted CT lol and it was boring.

It probably is really boring. But its pretty.

Is CT more boring than MA or RI?

Old 08-18-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Is CT more boring than MA or RI?
Oh, absolutely. why?

-Because there are no notable beaches

-big shows often skip CT for NYC, Worcester, Providence, and Boston.

-Happy hour is legal but it's not a "thing" its got all the New England Puritanism without the big/viable city

-no Marthas Vineyard/Cape

-no footloose attitude of Providence

-no notable festivals/attractions

-no real Berkshire vacation Region.

-The cities aren't as distinct from one another as MA. Less interesting

-Clubs close at 2 on weekends but there no public transit then. They close at 1 on Sunday-Thursday..losing that hour on Thursday isn't great. Nightlife in general is scant.

-lotta Rockefeller Republicans

Old 08-18-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Oh, absolutely. why?

-Because there are no notable beaches

-big shows often skip CT for Providence and Boston.

-Happy hour is legal but it's not a "thing" its got all the New England Puritanism without the big/viable city

-no Marthas Vineyard/Cape

-footloose attitude of Providence

-no real Berkshire vacation Region.

-The cities aren't as distinct from one another as MA. Less interesting

-Clubs close at 2 on weekends but there no public transit then. They close at 1. Nightlife in general is scant.

-lotta Rockefeller Republicans
Im getting used to this everywhere now. (Bolded)

However, is living in the Hartford area more boring than say Southern NH.. since if you remove state boundaries you are generally in good proximity to NYC Bos Providence Newport Berks etc?

I personally find Providence the most fun city in New England (for me, totally subjective I know..)

Old 08-18-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:

However, is living in the Hartford area more boring than say Southern NH.. since if you remove state boundaries you are generally in good proximity to NYC Bos Providence Newport Berks etc?

I personally find Providence the most fun city in New England (for me, totally subjective I know..)
It closes at 1 on Thursday and Sunday which isn't great.

Yea remove the boundaries and its okay proximity but you're still further than you are if you were in those cities/states themselves.

I don't even consider NH VT ME. I'm black-there is nothing at all there for me lol. And even if you're white if you're not an outdoorsman those places are more boring than CT. But I chalk that up to it being basically a different region and having way lower population density and far less diversity of anything.

What makes CT good are the pleasant people, the closeness of communities, town identity, diversity, neatness of the towns, reasonable COL, reasonable traffic with the decent roads (not highways), Apizza, colleges, high wages, and nice weather. It is suuuper cozy.

As well as proximity to the other places. Part of what makes it so different from NJ is the lack of anything to do (NJ isn't great at nightlife though from what I understand). Its very New Englandy in that it takes a handoff approach to fun, but a rather heavy-handed approach to appearances/rule of law. CT is probably more of a 'law enforcement' state than MA or RI... close to NJ in that regard. Its a bad mix of things that make it boring. They didn't sell any alcohol on Sundays until 2012..and now its only until 5 pm/ They also just started allowing liquor sales after 9PM in general.

Old 08-18-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
It closes at 1 on Thursday and Sunday which isn't great.

Yea remove the boundaries and its okay proximity but you're still further than you are if you were in those cities/states themselves.

I don't even consider NH VT ME. I'm black-there is nothing at all there for me lol. And even if you're white if you're not an outdoorsman those places are more boring than CT. But I chalk that up to it being basically a different region and having way lower population density and far less diversity of anything.

What makes CT good are the pleasant people, the closeness of communities, town identity, diversity, neatness of the towns, reasonable COL, reasonable traffic with the decent roads (not highways), Apizza, colleges, high wages, and nice weather. It is suuuper cozy.

As well as proximity to the other places. Part of what makes it so different from NJ is the lack of anything to do (NJ isn't great at nightlife though from what I understand). Its very New Englandy in that it takes a handoff approach to fun, but a rather heavy-handed approach to appearances/rule of law. CT is probably more of a 'law enforcement' state than MA or RI... close to NJ in that regard. Its a bad mix of things that make it boring. They didn't sell any alcohol on Sundays until 2012..and now its only until 5 pm/ They also just started allowing liquor sales after 9PM in general.
One positive of Northern NE is it is diversifying faster than previously thought. Its great to see NH and VT both sub 90% White Alone.

From being in NJ.. I think it is a good notch or two higher than MA/RI for sure. Hoboken and jersey City have great Manhattan alternatives. The Jersey Shore also has great beach nightlife. Like you have Seaside Heights which is like $2 drinks and typical low level Jersey Shore partying all the way up to upscale rooftop lounges and preppy places in Beach Haven or Avalon. It's not all Lilly white too. The music/DJs are also WORLDS better. They aren't playing Mr Brightsie every night like they do in Boston. Definitely mixed groups, pretty open... whereas in Boston its usually fratty white people dominating the downtown scenes. Providence is pretty mixed actually. But NJ is cheaper too. You can get a pitchr of rum and any confection for like $10. A single rum n coke is $10 in Boston. My black outs are more fun in NJ. If that makes sense. ... (I promise im not as trashy as that sounds...) My new spot in NJ is Bar A in Belmar. Cool place.. nothing like that in NE.

And makes sense. I wont be living in CT, but now that my family will ... it sounds like a great place to visit and drive an hour to somewhere cool.

Old 08-18-2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:

I personally find Providence the most fun city in New England (for me, totally subjective, I know..)
Random night pound for pound it's either 1 or 2, Cambridge right is more fun.

Overall for me, it's by far Boston. And that's just because in terms of nightlife, I consider all that urban inner ring 'Boston.' There's just way more people and variety than anywhere in New England; every Thursday, Friday, Saturday, I know where to go for hip hop vibes and brunches. It's reliable. Always cool community events and showcases in the city. Nebu Kiniza ('Gassed up Shawty' guy), the Super Smash Broz, and a bunch of Boston rappers will be performing at the INK Block under the South End overpass Friday Night. But that dude who had a top 20 Billboard hit a few years back is just performing under i-93 in Boston, casually. Its called No Hype Fest and its free of charge, 4-10. There will be food, music, prizes, games till 10 PM, and weeds legal, and you're within walking distance of the theatre district when that is done. But if you don't get there till 6, why don't you spend the afternoon in the water at Carson beach (no car required)? Maybe before that, you went down to Downtown Crossing or Copley place (maybe go to Eataly) and the Boston Common. This being, of course, after your morning job in Franklin /Millenium Park... Now keep in mind I will get out of the club and go to Moon Villa for late-night Chinese and see if I can get some 'cold tea' this may lead to anyone house for an after-party maybe my girl Mariah in Roslindale will do the open bar thing. Or maybe Tyrels friend and brother in Medford will open their home up. Maybe ill go to Harbor Point and clear my head looking at the Atlantic.

^days like that were routine for me in Boston, virtually impossible to replicate in Connecticut and not happening in RI either, the energy isn't on that level.

Old 08-18-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Random night pound for pound it's either 1 or 2, Cambridge right is more fun.

Overall for me, it's by far Boston. And that's just because in terms of nightlife, I consider all that urban inner ring 'Boston.' There's just way more people and variety than anywhere in New England; every Thursday, Friday, Saturday, I know where to go for hip hop vibes and brunches. It's reliable. Always cool community events and showcases in the city. Nebu Kiniza ('Gassed up Shawty' guy), the Super Smash Broz, and a bunch of Boston rappers will be performing at the INK Block under the South End overpass Friday Night. But that dude who had a top 20 Billboard hit a few years back is just performing under i-93 in Boston, casually. Its called No Hype Fest and its free of charge, 4-10. There will be food, music, prizes, games till 10 PM, and weeds legal, and you're within walking distance of the theatre district when that is done. But if you don't get there till 6, why don't you spend the afternoon in the water at Carson beach (no car required)? Maybe before that, you went down to Downtown Crossing or Copley place and the Boston Common. This being, of course, after your morning job in Franklin /Millenium Park... Now keep in mind I will get out of the club and go to Moon Villa for late-night Chinese and see if I can get some 'cold tea' this may lead to anyone house for an after-party maybe my girl Mariah in Roslindale will do the open bar thing. Or maybe Tyrels friend and brother in Medford will open their home up. Maybe ill go to Harbor Point and clear my head looking at the Atlantic.

^days like that were routine for me in Boston, virtually impossible to replicate in Connecticut and not happening in RI either, the energy isn't on that level.
Yeah I was also going by pound for pound in my Providence rank, in JUST nightlife. Boston does have way more in general, obviously. I have been out of the Boston scene for over a year now, since COVID.. everytime I go back I'm pressed to try out the INK Block and the BEAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City